Obama campaign raises almost $43 million
October 13th, 2011
08:03 AM ET
3 years ago

Obama campaign raises almost $43 million

Washington (CNN) – Exceeding the expectations some Democrats had set, the Obama re-election campaign raised $42.8 million in the period running from July through the end of September, an Obama campaign aide told CNN.

Overall, the campaign announced Thursday it and the Democratic National Committee brought in more than $70 million in the third quarter of fundraising.

Some Democratic sources had earlier said they expected the combined total to be $55 million.

The $42 million figure most likely will be close to or exceed the total raised by all of the Republican presidential candidates together for this quarter.

Campaigns have to report their amounts to the Federal Election Commission by Saturday. The Obama campaign and the DNC raised an record breaking $86 million in the last fundraising quarter that ended in June.

During the most recent quarter the Obama team had to deal with questions about whether key constituencies of the Democratic base were fully supporting President Obama, especially after a bruising fight over raising the nation's debt ceiling which resulted in an agreement that angered many in the progressive movement. The weak economy also made it more difficult for all of the campaigns to raise funds during this time.

The president had to cancel several fundraising events to stay in Washington due to the debt ceiling fight.

Obama unveiled his jobs proposal last month and displayed a more aggressive stance toward congressional Republicans - moves that were applauded by many Democratic activists.

"You know why it's important to engage right now. We're up against a Republican Party and special interest-funded groups that will spend hundreds of millions of dollars spreading any message that they believe will defeat the President and roll back our efforts to build a fairer economy that rewards hard work and responsibility, not large corporations," campaign manager Jim Messina said Thursday in an email to supporters announcing the figures.

From July to September the Obama team reported that 606,000 people donated to the campaign - more than in the second fundraising quarter between April and June when it set a record for the number of donors. And it said of the 766,000 donations, 98% were $250 or less – a key figure as it tries to keep attracting the small donors who were a major driver for the 2008 campaign.

"If I could sum up this last quarter in a few words: You came through. Thank you," Messina said.

One of the ways the campaign tried to woo small donors was to sponsor a contest with the prize being a dinner with Obama.

Overall, the campaign said since the president announced his re-election bid this spring, almost 983,000 individuals made donations, with 258,000 of them making their first contribution.

"So getting to a million grassroots donors isn't just a huge accomplishment this early in the campaign," Messina said in the release. "It's our answer to our opponents, the press, and anyone who wants to know whether the President's supporters have his back."

The Republican National Committee responded to the new totals by attacking the president over job creation.

"It's no secret President Obama spends a lot of time fundraising and is the most successful fundraiser in history. Obama's problem is he can't replicate that success when it comes to creating jobs," RNC Spokesperson Kirsten Kukowski said in an email. "This president is going to need every penny he can raise because voters don't believe he has the ability to turn the economy around or create much-needed jobs."

– CNN Chief White House Correspondent Jessica Yellin contributed to this story.

– Follow Kevin Bohn on Twitter: @KevinBohnCNN.


Filed under: 2012 • DNC • Fundraising • President Obama
soundoff (61 Responses)
  1. ethandy

    I am giving to the Obama campaign and I advise that every person who wants to rescue our country from greedy republicans and corporations do the same. Equally important, be sure to cast your vote to liberate America from the republican-lead ball and chain congress in 2012.

    October 13, 2011 09:30 am at 9:30 am |
  2. Ed 1

    I am glad Obama does everything with out the help of others.

    Just another example of his great leadership.

    Barack Hussein Obama speech, Sunday, May 1, 2011:
    And so shortly after taking office, I directed Leon Panetta, the director of the CIA, to make the
    Killing or capture of bin Laden the top priority of my war against al Qaeda, even as I continued our broader efforts to disrupt, dismantle, and defeat his network.
    Then, last August, after years of painstaking work by my intelligence community, I was briefed on
    A possible lead to bin Laden. It was far from certain, and it took many months to run this thread
    To ground. I met repeatedly with my national security team as we developed more information about the possibility that we had located bin Laden hiding within a compound deep inside of Pakistan . And finally, last week, I determined that I had enough intelligence to take action, and I authorized an operation to get Osama bin Laden and bring him to justice.
    Today, at my direction, the United States launched a targeted operation against that compound in Abbottabad , Pakistan .

    October 13, 2011 09:32 am at 9:32 am |
  3. David

    I wish him luck because these Republicans have already fixed the voting machines here in Memphis, TN to make sure he loses big!!!

    October 13, 2011 09:36 am at 9:36 am |
  4. Jeff from Va

    And I am sure that none of the people who donate to the President's campaign expect anything in return for their money.
    I know that some of these are in small amounts, like what everyday people would donate, but on both sides our officials are being "Bought and Paid For" by special interest, and people who want somthing in return, this is what is hurting our country.

    October 13, 2011 09:36 am at 9:36 am |
  5. william

    Yeah sure looks like the majority of Americans hate him...hate him so much they dontated to his campaign....Looks like the GOP and tea party were off a little when they said that Obamas chances at re-election were slim at best.....

    October 13, 2011 09:36 am at 9:36 am |
  6. Rick McDaniel

    He should donate that to the unemployment fund, and not run.

    October 13, 2011 09:37 am at 9:37 am |
  7. WiredweirdinSF

    When the president runs a constant campaign for reelectino, rather than reflecting on what a failure he has been, is it any wonder why the country is doing so badly? But then this is a corrupt union strategy and the inept, incompetent former poster hanger for the SEIU is really nothing but a corrupt union toady.

    October 13, 2011 09:37 am at 9:37 am |
  8. Larry L

    I'm not rich but he'll get my money. The 99% must contribute to have any chance to defeat the Republicans backed by the 1% fat cats.

    October 13, 2011 09:38 am at 9:38 am |
  9. what's up

    Funny how Obama spends more time with his RICH friends for $35,000 dinners, than he does trying to fix his stagnate economy with a 17% real unemployment rate. I think most Americans really know who and what is important to Obama.

    October 13, 2011 09:39 am at 9:39 am |
  10. roy

    Big money in elections is the primary problem why American policies are screwed up people belly ache about paying their fair share of taxes but have no problem wasteing money on this foolishness. Maybe their candidate can get them out of paying any tax at all.

    October 13, 2011 09:39 am at 9:39 am |
  11. what's up

    Obama says, "it take RICH friends and big bucks to be re-elected, and his normal dumb voting block will vote for him no matter what.

    October 13, 2011 09:40 am at 9:40 am |
1 2 3