Cain says he won't reveal more policy advisers
October 14th, 2011

Cain says he won't reveal more policy advisers

(CNN) - Herman Cain's barnstorm of Tennessee kicked off Friday with a speech lambasting questions from the media about the GOP presidential candidate's economic advisers and his 9-9-9 tax plan.

"They often ask me, 'Well, who are your economic advisers?'" Cain said in Bartlett, Tennessee. "And they hate it when I say, 'I'm not going to tell you.'"

Cain continued, "I'm not going to tell you! They're my advisers, not yours. They just want to know who my smart people are so they can attack them."

Cain said the media was criticizing his 9-9-9 tax plan, which proposes levying a 9% tax on income, corporate profits, and national sales, because they weren't accustomed to such sweeping change.

"They don't know how to respond to a real solution to a problem," Cain said. "When I presented 9-9-9 and American people started saying they like it, their brains exploded. They don't know how to attack it."

Cain said he wouldn't reveal the names of his foreign policy advisers either, predicting the media would attack them in the same way he sees the media going after his economic consultants.

During a GOP presidential debate Tuesday night, Cain was pressed on who helped him craft his 9-9-9 plan. Cain named one man, Rich Lowrie, who was later revealed in multiple reports to be a wealth manager for Wells Fargo.

Earlier, Cain had refused to name his economic advisers in an interview with Fox News, saying he didn't want to "compromise their confidentiality."

Cain's event Friday is part of a bus tour through Tennessee, which will also include stops in Jackson and Waverly.

Filed under: 2012 • Herman Cain
  1. Bubba

A wealth manager for Wells Fargo? I understood he was an accountant at a Wells Fargo branch office.

October 14, 2011 03:30 pm at 3:30 pm |
  2. Jamie from Riverside

Name my economic policy advisers?
    How bout thin crust and extra cheese instead?

October 14, 2011 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  3. Peg

About Cain's 9-9-9-plan – it would seem that under this plan, those who are less fortunate and therefore spend most of their income on living expenses will in some states be paying 18% in sales taxes, 9% for state sales tax plus and additional 9% for this new federal tax – how is such a regressive tax OK? Many of these same people who support Cain's idea, applauded the new republican's elected to leadership in many states who refused to raise sales tax revenue, claiming that it would hurt businesses and the economy, but then as a consequence, handed out pink slips to teacher's and first responders due to a lack of revenue. How does anyone explain this huge contradiction?

October 14, 2011 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  4. Rudy NYC

I know the names of his advisors. They are Melchior, Caspar, and Balthasar. Those guys are wise. Mr. Cain doesn't meet with them often due to scheduling issues.

October 14, 2011 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  5. Wire Palladin, S. F.

If Herb wins the primaries, will he choose anchor baby, Marco Rubio, as a running mate? Or will he deport Marco?

October 14, 2011 03:44 pm at 3:44 pm |
  6. Wire Palladin, S. F.

In the next debate, look for Herb to say, "Other than 999, I ain't sayin' nothin'"

October 14, 2011 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  7. Sorensen

The poor guy is now smoking his own exhaust.
    His so-called "business experience"?? VP at Pillsbury and VP at Burger King is nothing. There are hundreds of them.
    Godfathers Pizza is a modest, very small fast food outfit selling mediocre pizza. It will never amount to anything.
    In the meantime he is behaving as if he was Jeff Immelt or Jamie Dimon.
    Of course, anybody with any brain would prefer not to have his/her name mentioned with him.
    Very nice sales-manager shirts and ties, though.

October 14, 2011 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  8. MCJNY

If you are not willing to transparently discuss your economic proposals, where and whom they were derived, then you can't have my vote. It's that simple. I suggest others use their vote (our demand) to stimulate a supply of good, hard working honest candidate. The very idea of cain's stance on this matter is antithetical of being POTUS, the visible position in the world.

October 14, 2011 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |
  9. Debbie

The most powerful position in the world this guy wants and he plays neener neener on who his advisors are? OK. Then if you can't be transparent I don't have the information I need to vote or not vote for you. So its a no vote.

October 14, 2011 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  10. Squealy

Err, actually I have seen and read some pretty sharp and sensible criticisms on his 999 plan, so I can't agree with his statement that people can't attack that idea. And if his answer to questions about the plan are "I have no idea, I'll be asking my advisers" (which it was), then we have every right to know who those advisers are going to be. Lots of flash, little substance.

October 14, 2011 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  11. Vigla

Cain is proving over and over that he is just a shell of a presidential candidate. His policies are designed to curry favor with the extremists on the right. They will NEVER pass. His idiotic statements aren't winning him any favor with moderates, either... Ask him a simple question about his 9-9-9 plan and he can't even answer them - because nothing is so simple when it comes to taxes.

October 14, 2011 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  12. ATL Guy

This guy is a work of art. The dumber they are the more the Republicans love them.

October 14, 2011 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  13. Wire Palladin, S. F.

Would you buy a used car without seeing the 'car fax?' I think people will not support Herb until he becomes more open and honest.

October 14, 2011 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  14. TAK

Does anyone else see the irony of a black man that made his money exploiting Italian American stereotypes? Godfather's Pizza... Really? Can you imagine the uproar if a Italian guy opened Hip Hop Fried Chicken?

October 14, 2011 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  15. Teabug

His economic advisors are hiding behind the curtain in the Emerald City - that's what Herb doesn't want anyone to know. That 999 was great for pizza promos, but has a few "kinks" in it as an economic policy for the country.
    The flavor is getting bland, watch out Herb.

October 14, 2011 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  16. The Greedy Old Pigs have declared class war on US!

Funny stuff from Cain. Just about every economist willing to provide their name has said the plan is doomed to fail and will make things worse, not better. Apparently there is a good reason Cain can't find an economist to put their name to such manure,

October 14, 2011 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  17. A Repulbican

I said this at the very eginning, us republicans would figure out a way to blow this election, but I didn't think it would be coming from so many directions, first give me money palin, then its bankrupt king trump, then kkk barbour, then my family won't let me daniels, then i have no spine pawlenty, then i like interns and jewelry newt, then blowhard christie, then ican't speak crazy family perry, then i'm really a democrat mitt, and now no experience no economic sense 999 fool cain!

It's sad to say but Obama 2012 is only a matter of time.

October 14, 2011 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  18. Busted

That's because he is using the same advisors as Bush. Supply side economics is voodoo economics. 16 years of budget deficits following Reagan's supply side tax cuts and best case scenario, 17 years following Bush's. We can't afford this volatile economic policy.

October 14, 2011 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  19. Thad

Just admit it Mr. Cain your advisers Uncle Tom, Uncle Ben, Clarence Thomas and other sellout you can find.

October 14, 2011 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |