McCain to Perry: Get some rest
October 14th, 2011

McCain to Perry: Get some rest

(CNN) -– Sen. John McCain has some advice for Gov. Rick Perry ahead of Tuesday’s CNN Republican debate: Get some rest.

“Every time I made a serious mistake politically - and I’ve made them - it’s been when I’m tired,” McCain said in an interview Friday on CNN’s “The Situation Room with Wolf Blitzer.”

When asked if he had any advice for the Texas governor, who is struggling in the polls, McCain also suggested that Perry makes sure to practice before the event.

“Get somebody in there who will give it a good scrubbing, who will play these individuals, who will play Romney, for example, and really put it to you so that you’re prepared for any question that comes up,” McCain said.

McCain, who defeated former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney in the 2008 Republican primaries, praised Romney’s 2012 campaign for maintaining a “steady strain” but also said that anything can happen between now and the Florida primary.

“If you and I had been chatting two or three weeks ago and I would have said Herman Cain is ahead, you would have thought I was smoking something fairly strong,” McCain said.

On former Godfather’s Pizza CEO Herman Cain’s “9-9-9" tax plan, McCain expressed some concerns.

“It appears it is a tax increase for some middle-income or lower-income Americans and I would look forward to hearing his explanation,” McCain said. “I’m not condemning it, but I certainly wouldn’t favor that.”

In the latest CNN Poll of Polls, Romney is leading with 23% of the vote. Cain is close behind with 20% and Perry, who was leading most polls in September, dropped down to third place with 14% of the vote.

Filed under: 2012 • John McCain • Rick Perry • TV-The Situation Room
  1. They ought to change from the elephant to the hippo...

Yeah, Rick.. Better hope that you're Rip van Winkle though...

October 14, 2011 06:12 pm at 6:12 pm |
  2. Tired of the nonsense

McCain, you must have been absolutely exhausted to have let Palin on your ticket. That was one of the WORST things you ever did to this country - letting that loon loose on an unsuspecting public.

October 14, 2011 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  3. Mark

This buffoon needs more than rest. His problem is a genetic one, and rest will not take care of that.

October 14, 2011 06:27 pm at 6:27 pm |
  4. Larry L

McCain was really tired when he agreed to let Sarah Palin run for VP...

October 14, 2011 06:30 pm at 6:30 pm |
  5. Wayne in Houston

McCain make an excellent point. Anita must also be jut as tired.

That said, McCain must have been plumb exhausted when he picked the wingnut from Wasilla as his running mate!

October 14, 2011 06:36 pm at 6:36 pm |
  6. Sniffit

"“Every time I made a serious mistake politically and I’ve made them,"

Can we nominate this for understatement of the century please? Two words: Jabberwocky Barbie.

October 14, 2011 06:39 pm at 6:39 pm |
  7. GOP = Greed Over People

Seems like Perry is the last person we want to answer that 3:00 A.M. call!

Sorry, McCrypt, but he is 20 years younger and should be able to take the rigors of campaigning or how can he ever hope to keep up with the rigors of the job!

October 14, 2011 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |
  8. Woman In California

One crazy person lecturing another crazy person. Makes perfect sense.

October 14, 2011 06:42 pm at 6:42 pm |
  9. Fed Up

Hey old man, Perry is years younger than you. That's why you lost. Everybody knew Palin would be a step away from the Presidency if you died of old timers. Why do the idiots in Arizona keep voting for you? I just answered my own question. One thing is for certain, Perry would make a lousy president, just like you. Why hasn't your wife dumped your worthless rear end?

October 14, 2011 06:44 pm at 6:44 pm |
  10. gg

talk to sarah about VP that will boost your chance,s

October 14, 2011 06:44 pm at 6:44 pm |
  11. Rosie

I agree, Perry should get some rest. As in let his candidacy RIP! He, like McCain, is a loser. Better a graceful exit now than more humiliation down the road.

October 14, 2011 06:46 pm at 6:46 pm |
  12. tif31

Me to Perry--Go home

October 14, 2011 06:49 pm at 6:49 pm |
  13. Jake

so you were in serious need of a nap when you approved Palin as your running mate??

October 14, 2011 06:49 pm at 6:49 pm |
  14. NoTags

After picking dingbat Sarah Palin as his running mate, John McCain is not in a position to give political advice to anyone.

October 14, 2011 06:55 pm at 6:55 pm |
  15. Woman In California

@ Dominican mama 4 Obama

But where is Herman Cain's wife?

Why isn't she campaigning with her husband like the rest of the wives?

Rather odd don't you think?

I have been wondering about this SAME question and I'm glad you have bought it to light and since you have – this is what I think – they can't RISK having her in the spotlight now because it might scare away "those" voters. I I'm sure you know what I mean.

October 14, 2011 07:01 pm at 7:01 pm |
  16. GI Joe

Go sleep in your oil fields for about 100 years. Too old, too tired, too radical to be any part of this country. We need energetic people and new ideas - low taxes HAVE NOT CREATED ONE JOB IN 11 YEARS.

October 14, 2011 07:03 pm at 7:03 pm |
  17. T in Dallas

“Every time I made a serious mistake politically – and I’ve made them – it’s been when I’m tired,” McCain said..." Palin...nuff said

October 14, 2011 07:10 pm at 7:10 pm |
  18. T'sah from Virginia

►“Every time I made a serious mistake politically – and I’ve made them – it’s been when I’m tired,” McCain said◄

Dang, McCain, you must be tired all the time!!

October 14, 2011 07:15 pm at 7:15 pm |
  19. Al-NY,NY

"every time I made a serious mistake..."
    ------------------

You must have been on a real bender of non-shuteye when you decided to unleash the walking and talking e-bola on the country. What were you thinking by giving that harpie a forum???

October 14, 2011 07:24 pm at 7:24 pm |
  20. Dixie Independent voter

Leave your wife at home is my advice.

October 14, 2011 07:33 pm at 7:33 pm |
  21. krehator

Wait.... I though McCain was a maverick and not like others in the GOP?

People are stupid....

October 14, 2011 07:36 pm at 7:36 pm |
  22. Clwyd

Better yet! Go back to Texas and take your nut case wife with you. Then secede from the Union. We would be better off!

October 14, 2011 07:38 pm at 7:38 pm |
  23. Mike Dallas

Great just what we need a CIC that needs a power nap before he can address a crisis.

October 14, 2011 07:58 pm at 7:58 pm |
  24. Kenny

That's good advice McCain is giving Gov. Perry. He should go back to Texas and get some rest and come back to the political trail after Hell freezes over.

October 14, 2011 07:58 pm at 7:58 pm |
  25. gary

McCain must have been super tired when he made the mistake of putting Palin on the ticket. His super mistake has people throughout the country with little or no sense think they belong in congress (i.e. Joe the plumber) I see today that the Florida congressman, West, who doesn't even live in the district he represents, is sounding off again. Someone needs to ask this racist why he was forced to retire from the Army. Interesting reading for people who do not spend the time to investigate the backgrounds of the people they vote for.

October 14, 2011 08:25 pm at 8:25 pm |