BREAKING: Obama speaks at MLK memorial
October 16th, 2011

BREAKING: Obama speaks at MLK memorial

Washington (CNN) – Speaking at the dedication of the Martin Luther King Jr. National Memorial on Sunday, President Barack Obama said King "will stand for all time, among monuments to those who fathered this nation and those who defended it. A black preacher, no official rank or title, somehow gave voice to our deepest dreams and our most lasting ideas."

Filed under: President Obama
  1. Howard

Once again, obama tries riding the coat tails of a truly great American ...
    for more self-promotion and photo ops. King was a uniter ... obama is a divider !!!
    Elect Herman Cain in 2012 !!!

October 16, 2011 12:46 pm at 12:46 pm |
  2. Woman In California

I've never been a big fan of Aretha Frankin but she by far touched me today. I was in tears listening to her sing Precious Lord. Thank you Ms. Franklin.

Also, I want to give a SPECIAL thank you to ALL the men and women (black and white) who fought for my freedoms and liberties that I enjoy today. I as well as my family thank you and I will always be profoundly proud of you.

I enjoyed watching all the love I saw today. Thank you "evil ones" (and you know who you are) for staying AWAY.
    God Bless America.

October 16, 2011 12:47 pm at 12:47 pm |
  3. once upon a horse

@ Howard.......

Please tell me where the President is a divider? When he was elected there were those on the far right that had no interest in trying to help him be sucessful and their leader Rush Limbaugh came out and said so. The right and left have polarized themselves and saying it's the president's fault is just another cop-out.

One thing you never see much at programs like today are the far right conservatives. Where were all the Republicans? Why was the Tea Party not there to honor the memorial? Some on the right still claim King was a Communist. You want to talk about division look into your own backyard.

October 16, 2011 01:23 pm at 1:23 pm |
  4. stonecircle

I watched the entire dedication, and was moved by each and every speaker, up to and especially, President Obama. Only those people who are trying to divide America and use wedge issues are calling him divisive. That's projectionism at its finest, and it's normally reserved for those who have no basis for their argument.

October 16, 2011 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  5. CA Dream USA

Another proud moment in American History

October 16, 2011 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  6. Kmarcel3

Thank you Mr. President,

Now please continue to honor Dr. King's legacy by protecting the rights of all citizens to have equal access to the ballot box. There are many who would be happy to return to the time when minority rights to vote was suppressed. Dr. King would be appalled. Protect his legacy Mr. President, protect his legacy.

October 16, 2011 02:26 pm at 2:26 pm |
  7. vc

Herman Cain will have the same problem as President Obama. It is your Congress that is upholding everything. At least we know that President will fight for the middle class and poor. Wall Street is angry with him because he has took a stand against greed. He might not be popular with some but as I was taught don't move off what you believe in. You do what is right even if you have to stand alone. Martin L. King Jr. done just that. He was leading when he felt alone but others finally starting grasping the message and oh what a difference they made. People get on board with President Obama. You might not like everything but pray and find a common ground solution and you will see good results. House divided cannot stand but unity can bring changes that is challenging.

October 16, 2011 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |