Cain: I can feel the bull's-eye
October 18th, 2011

Cain: I can feel the bull's-eye

(CNN) - Herman Cain said Tuesday he could feel the pressure from his fellow 2012 candidates ahead of the CNN Western Leadership Conference Debate in Las Vegas.

"The way it feels is that you got this big bull's-eye on your back, and it keeps getting bigger," Cain told CNN's Wolf Blitzer on "The Situation Room."

Programming note: GOP presidential candidates next face off at 8 p.m. ET Tuesday, October 18, in the CNN Western Republican Presidential Debate in Las Vegas, Nevada. Submit your questions for the debate here.

"It feels great, but as you know, the challenge is 'how do we continue that momentum?' and we believe we know how to do it."

Cain said he was prepared to take on the current GOP frontrunner, former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney, who Cain said was trying to present himself as something he was not.

"The biggest problem I have with Governor Romney, who I respect, is him trying to say that he is the non-politician, business candidate," Cain said. "I am the true non-politician, business candidate in this race. He was a Wall Street executive. I was a main street executive. Because I dealt with individual businesses."

When asked if Romney was a Christian, Cain refused to answer, saying he was focusing instead on his opponent's platform.

"I want to basically defeat Mitt Romney based upon the strength of my ideas versus his," Cain said. "I think I've got a strong plan relative to his, as well as strong ideas about the other issues we face."

When responding to foreign policy questions, Cain gave mostly vague answers, saying that he would need all of the intelligence and data to give firm answers. When asked about Monday's swap of one Israeli soldier for thousands of Palestinian prisoners, Cain wouldn't say for sure if he would make a similar decision as president. Cain wouldn't say whether he'd support the Israeli government's decision.

"I would have to know all of the considerations he made to say yes or not, because I'm sure that there were a lot of considerations he had to make in order to make that decision," Cain said. "On the surface, you would say one for hundreds doesn't make any sense, but here's how I make decisions and this is why I respect Prime Minister Netanyahu so much. He looks at all of the facts before he makes a judgment call. We don't know all the facts."

Filed under: 2012 • Herman Cain • Nevada • TV-The Situation Room
  1. vet in texas

this should be interesting, I'm curious how they will attack him.

October 18, 2011 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  2. The Lone Okie

Cain can't say what he would do, until he consults with the Koch brothers.

October 18, 2011 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  3. Wire Palladin, S. F.

October 18, 2011 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |
  4. thomas

I bet he dose a great version of Candy Man , were is he playing in Vegas ?

October 18, 2011 05:02 pm at 5:02 pm |
  5. Strategic Bob

Cain deserves to be attacked, not for his views on race or his religious views, but rather for the idiocy of his views on policy issues and the future direction the country should take. Further, it should not just be the other GOP wannabes who are attacking him. Every person capable of rational thought should be very afraid of this man and his ideas. Laffer, the person who developed the Laffer Curve and Supply Side economics has said that 9-9-9 is a good idea. When the fool who developed the economic theories that created our current deficits says that 9-9-9 is a good idea, that alone tells you everything you need to know about Cain's lack of qualifications to be President.

October 18, 2011 05:05 pm at 5:05 pm |
  6. Beelzebub

I like this guy! I think he would be a great leader for your soon to be socialist nation. If you turn his tax plan upside down you get the real Cain. 666

October 18, 2011 05:14 pm at 5:14 pm |
  7. Sorensen

If the rest of them had any brains, they would totally ignore him.
    Probably only Romney will do that.

October 18, 2011 05:16 pm at 5:16 pm |
  8. al in memphis

I think it great that anyone run for president. The problem is you can get off of the ground unless you are bless by the special interest and corporate banks or you just a side show that has no chance of getting elected and the media needs to sell ad space.
    ON Mr. Cain 9-9-9 plan, I thnk is more M-M-M-A plant. The poor and elderly will pay More, The rich will get to keep vastly More money. The economy will go in to a recession/depression that More severe than we have ever seen. Lastly , China will be coming over to Auction off this country to try and get some of it money back.

October 18, 2011 05:17 pm at 5:17 pm |
  9. Anonymous

Cain is smarter than he sounds. If he doesn't like the attention now, how's he going to handle it should he be nominated.

October 18, 2011 05:19 pm at 5:19 pm |
  10. Jinx

anyone that speaks negatively about Herman Cain is a racist

October 18, 2011 05:19 pm at 5:19 pm |
  11. Max Leygrume

Cain is EVERYTHING obama is not : Verifiably educated , long verifiable record of business success , expansive list of policy positions , articles , speeches ..... all verifiable.

Obama? Verifiable ? Track record ? None of this exists for obama ....none of it.

Obama 2012 ! Yes We Can !!!!

October 18, 2011 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  12. one voice

Scott Walker has the same BULLSEYE as you Cain. The Corporate GOON Walker will go down in flames come January.

October 18, 2011 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  13. Steve- Illinois

Cain is the only one with a proven track record! He can win this thing!

October 18, 2011 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  14. one voice

October 18, 2011 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  15. American

This man is a psychotic, hate-mongering, bully with a big mouth who seems to forget that his 'buddies' took great pleasure
    in lynching his ancestors less than a century ago. Who IS he kidding other than himself?

October 18, 2011 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  16. Mrs. Tully

Cain's 9-9-9 tax plan doesn't need a bull's eye on it because it is already bs. Even G. Norquist, the alleged brains of Teapublican tax policy, dismisses it outright. With friend's like Norquist who needs Democratic enemies?

October 18, 2011 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  17. Kathy

And that liberal hate "bulls-eye' will only get larger, Mr. Cain. You're a threat to them and these liberal haters, aka RACIST, that preach they're from the party of "understanding" and "tolerance" will do their best to take you down, but will be unable to do so.

October 18, 2011 05:33 pm at 5:33 pm |
  18. R

@ Wire Palladin, S. F.
    "I can't watch. It would bother me to see six white people doing a Rodney King on Herb."

Good job bringing a race-related incident into a non-race related article. And you say Republicans are the enemy? You should take a look in the mirror.

October 18, 2011 05:35 pm at 5:35 pm |
  19. GI Joe

If he can't stand the heat .............................

Look at the crap thrown at any sitting president all day every day.

Whining is not for big people. Sounds like Perry's wife. waaaaahhh they're picking on me/him/us waaaaaahhhh

October 18, 2011 05:35 pm at 5:35 pm |
  20. one voice

@Kathy: How can we be racist when we love our President Obama? Typical mindless rant Kathy?

October 18, 2011 05:36 pm at 5:36 pm |
  21. us1776

GOP debate:

Romney: I hate Obama.

Perry: Well I hate Obama more than Mr. Romney and I have a camp to prove it.

Cain: I'm hatin' Obama.

Bachmann: No, no, I was the first to hate Obama.

Huntsman: Well, I could hate Obama.

Newt: Who's Obama?

Ron Paul: I hate all of ya.

October 18, 2011 05:38 pm at 5:38 pm |
  22. Rudy NYC

Kathy wrote:
    --------------------–
    I don't think liberals need to do anything against Mr. Cain. His campaign's implosion by conservatives and the other candidates is inevitable. Mr. Cain is nothing more than a campaign rabbit, someone injected into the race to create controversy and conversation on issues that are irrelevant to the problems actually facing this country.

As far as understanding and tolerance goes, Mr. Cain is the personification of religious intolerance with his unconstitutional view that he would inquire into the religion of anyone who worked for his administration, and the fact that he doesn't know that view is unconstitutional speaks volumes about Mr. Cain's lack of understanding.

October 18, 2011 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  23. Max Leygrume

[Just think how Obama would WIPE THE FLOOR with this Koch Brothers puppet during a debate.]

Oh dude ! You CANNOT be serious. You simply can't .
    obama = Tony Rezko
    obama = LARGEST political donation from wallstreet – in history.
    obama = Solyndra
    obama = Gun Walker / Fast N Furious
    obama = Endorsed by American Nazi Socialist Party on Monday.
    obama = Endorsed by The American Communist Party on Monday

Mop the floor in deed .....

October 18, 2011 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  24. us1776

GOP candidates:

Romney (Yes, I tied our poor dog to the roof of our car on vacation)

Perry (I own a camp named N!ggerhead)

Cain (You can get a pizza for only 999)

Bachmann (is my husband gay?)

Newt (I only wear my $500k tiara on special occasions)

Ron Paul (I delivered some babies)

October 18, 2011 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |
  25. Woman In California

Cain's 9-9-9 Plan – D.O.A.

Cain's entertainment value – Priceless.

The guy is a great entertainer. He sings well, lies, shouts, makes pizza. Presidential? Not so much.

October 18, 2011 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |