Rep. Paul: Cain's ‘9-9-9’ plan is 'dangerous'
October 18th, 2011

Rep. Paul: Cain's ‘9-9-9’ plan is 'dangerous'

(CNN) - While Ron Paul said attacking other candidates is his "least favorite thing to do," he didn't pull any punches Tuesday when talking about fellow GOP presidential candidate Herman Cain's '9-9-9' tax proposal.

"I don't think it's a good plan," the Texas congressman said on CNN's "American Morning." "I think it's a dangerous plan."

Programming note: GOP presidential candidates next face off at 8 p.m. ET Tuesday, October 18, in the CNN Western Republican Presidential Debate in Las Vegas, Nevada. Submit your questions for the debate here.

Cain jumped to the top of the 2012 race, joining former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney, in recent weeks while touting his '9-9-9' plan, which would impose a 9% rate on corporate and income taxes, as well as a new national 9% sales tax.

But Paul argued the plan opens the door for a value added tax and hit against the idea of building a new revenue stream through a sales tax.

"It would be very, very unpopular, and, matter of fact, I think the more people know about it, the more questions will be asked," Paul said.

But Paul might not pick that fight on stage Tuesday at the CNN/Western Republican Leadership Conference debate in Las Vegas. The White House hopeful said he prefers not to engage in attacking the most popular candidate at debates.

"I had some advisers tell me that, 'go after him,' 'attack him'," Paul said. "That's my least favorite thing to do. I will when I'm pressed for or challenged. Or when they challenge my supporters. Then I get annoyed and I feel offended when they do that. So, I take that personally."

Also see:

Iowa caucuses to be held January 3

Paul proposes cutting $1 trillion in first year

Cain: 'I haven't learned to be politically correct'

Hispanic caucus chairman rips Cain's border fence "joke"

1. Found Father's 2012

"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have," – Gerald R. Ford.

People need to start believe in Americans in their true form. American's can do much better than bureaucracy.

October 18, 2011 11:54 am at 11:54 am |
  2. Blinded by the republican lie

Rudy NYC @11:49 a.m. Again telling it like it is.

October 18, 2011 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |
  3. dman

You misunderstand Mr. Cain. The plan isn't 9-9-9, it's a German plan called nein, nein, nein. It continues the Republican strategy of saying no to everything.

October 18, 2011 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |
  4. Rick McDaniel

I hate negativism in candidates. I really detest Santorum for that reason. I hope the candidates simply concentrate on what they will do, and what their won proposals are, rather than doing the "attack" approach. Leave the decision making to the voters.........concentrate on informing the voters about yourself, as a candidate, and let each other candidate do the same. I is ok, to disagree with another candidate, in the debate, but it should be done in the form of "I disagree with Smith, and here's my position, and my plan, for your consideration". Much stronger candidate for the voters, if you are confident about your plan, than if you have no plan, and just attack someone else.

October 18, 2011 12:11 pm at 12:11 pm |
  5. Democrat Class Warfare - Destroying the economy, destroying the country

Yes, 9-9-9 opens up a new revenue stream but at least it gets everybody to have some skin in the game. Right now 47% of the people in this country are on the 0-0-0 plan. And far too many are total dependents of the government. It is an inverted pyramid that is starting to collapse everything, the government, the economy, the country.

October 18, 2011 12:14 pm at 12:14 pm |
  6. TomInRochNY

It's like the pot calling the kettle black. They are different sides of the same coin. The one thing they have abundantly in common is that both their ideas are bad.

October 18, 2011 12:19 pm at 12:19 pm |
  7. Democrat Class Warfare - Destroying the economy, destroying the country

Dr. Paul doesn't have a plan. Getting rid of everything isn't a plan. That's what's called demolition. Dr. Paul wants to wipe the slate clean and start over, which is a noble idea. Unfortunately, starting all over is not an option.
    One would think that a doctor would realize that. I am pretty sure that he hasn't told sick patients to go kill themselves, so that they can be reincarnated all healthy and brand new again. Sometimes you have no choice but to work with the hand you are dealt. Those are the rules of reality. We cannot turn back time.
    ===============================================================================================
    The current path we have put on by Obama and the Democrats IS total demolition, by bankruptcy. The ship IS sinking from dead weight and debt. Throwing unnecessary government waste and spending overboard to save the USS America IS a very viable plan.

October 18, 2011 12:19 pm at 12:19 pm |
  8. sara

Oh Dr. Paul, if only the other candidates were as classy as you.

October 18, 2011 12:21 pm at 12:21 pm |
  9. Rudy NYC

Somebody wrote:
    "It is an inverted pyramid that is starting to collapse everything, the government, the economy, the country."
    ----------------------–
    I am amazed to hear you speak the truth. There is too much weight at the top. Nothing is trickling down.

That 47% that you complain about are mostly people living far below the poverty line, or tax-free retirements. It was Republicans who first introduced our current progressive tax policy of taxing the poor less. As far as those tax-free retirements go, income taxes were paid as the money was invested into the retirement fund. Taxing it would be equivalent to taxing someone because they withdrew money from a savings account. In other words, I don't think you realize that you are demanding that they be double taxed, which I am sure that even you would find totally unacceptable.

October 18, 2011 12:23 pm at 12:23 pm |
  10. EarnYourOwn

Ok so where is your response Ron Paul? I know the 9-9-9 is to simple to be implemented as is but it is the best starting point hat ANY Politician has put forth. I don't like this plan all that much but it is the only plan out there that levels the playing field for EVERYONE.

October 18, 2011 12:25 pm at 12:25 pm |
  11. Annie, Atlanta

This is interesting, coming from Paul, who wants to cut $1 Trillion out of the budget on the backs of Medicare, Medicaid, and Social Security recipients. Very interesting. I think the Republican Party has become dangerous. This is what happens when you let the fringe take control. Hopefully they can wrestle it back, so we can get back to normal, whatever that may be.

October 18, 2011 12:26 pm at 12:26 pm |
  12. Scott S.

Herman Cain's plan is foolish, no doubt. But Ron Paul apparently lives in some sort of a parallel universe where his strategy of a totally hands-off, privatize everything nation would create some kind of utopia. It wouldn't. We tried that before. It was only a century prior where US Citizens were working in unsafe, unsanitary environments while companies polluted the living hell out of everything and made our water unsafe to drink and our air unsafe to breathe. And he wants to slash education, in fact get rid of public education altogether. People hear the words "liberty" and "freedom." He's even said he's OK with legalizing marijuana. But his idea for this country or ANY country is unrealistic, and would virtually eliminate all the progress we've made in protecting the middle class...which isn't much to begin with.

October 18, 2011 12:27 pm at 12:27 pm |
  13. Annie, Atlanta

@Democrat Class Warfare ... – do you have some stats to back up you up, or is this just something you "believe," as my wingnut sister always tells me. She doesn't need no stupid facts, by golly. It's all in her beliefs. Good grief!

October 18, 2011 12:27 pm at 12:27 pm |
  14. jack johnson

People have to understand that the 9% sales tax is federal only, then the states add their tax on top of this. So if the states add 4% that makes it a 13% sales tax that the middle class can not aford to pay

October 18, 2011 12:29 pm at 12:29 pm |
  15. cf

OMG, "media blackout" of (Paul's) success in the polls?? He won ONE straw poll (and finished dismally in all other polls and debates), and it was a top story on CNN, MSNBC, etc for WEEKS! How you Paulies can claim a "media blackout" is beyond me!

October 18, 2011 12:29 pm at 12:29 pm |
  16. Donkey Party

Mr. Dangerous himself calling out Cain's ludicrous plan, priceless!

October 18, 2011 12:33 pm at 12:33 pm |