Rep. Paul: Cain's ‘9-9-9’ plan is 'dangerous'
October 18th, 2011

Rep. Paul: Cain's ‘9-9-9’ plan is 'dangerous'

(CNN) - While Ron Paul said attacking other candidates is his "least favorite thing to do," he didn't pull any punches Tuesday when talking about fellow GOP presidential candidate Herman Cain's '9-9-9' tax proposal.

"I don't think it's a good plan," the Texas congressman said on CNN's "American Morning." "I think it's a dangerous plan."

Programming note: GOP presidential candidates next face off at 8 p.m. ET Tuesday, October 18, in the CNN Western Republican Presidential Debate in Las Vegas, Nevada. Submit your questions for the debate here.

Cain jumped to the top of the 2012 race, joining former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney, in recent weeks while touting his '9-9-9' plan, which would impose a 9% rate on corporate and income taxes, as well as a new national 9% sales tax.

But Paul argued the plan opens the door for a value added tax and hit against the idea of building a new revenue stream through a sales tax.

"It would be very, very unpopular, and, matter of fact, I think the more people know about it, the more questions will be asked," Paul said.

But Paul might not pick that fight on stage Tuesday at the CNN/Western Republican Leadership Conference debate in Las Vegas. The White House hopeful said he prefers not to engage in attacking the most popular candidate at debates.

"I had some advisers tell me that, 'go after him,' 'attack him'," Paul said. "That's my least favorite thing to do. I will when I'm pressed for or challenged. Or when they challenge my supporters. Then I get annoyed and I feel offended when they do that. So, I take that personally."

Also see:

Iowa caucuses to be held January 3

Paul proposes cutting $1 trillion in first year

Cain: 'I haven't learned to be politically correct'

Hispanic caucus chairman rips Cain's border fence "joke"

1. A Repulbican

Same strategy same result, you will not be the nominee, again – so, why are you wasting your supporters time, you should take that personally!

October 18, 2011 10:20 am at 10:20 am |
  2. Sandy

Sure it's dangerous, but your plan to cut everything in sight is just as dangerous, if not more dangerous!

October 18, 2011 10:21 am at 10:21 am |
  3. logic in LA

Funny- that's the word i use to describe Ron Paul. 9-9-9 gets it's own word- ridiculous.

October 18, 2011 10:25 am at 10:25 am |
  4. JustMe

Oh don't be a wimp Ron – go after him.

October 18, 2011 10:25 am at 10:25 am |
  5. Rudy NYC

Mr. Cain's so called plan is designed to do one thing, increase the profits of the 1%. His plan does not tax capital gains, but elimnates those taxes. If you invest and buy stocks, bonds, or even gold, does the 9% tax apply to those items? Probably not, because he could argue that those are not "new" items.

Speaking of the 9% Value Added Tax on purchases of "new" items, didn't Mr. Cain publish an opinion about a year ago stating that a VAT is a really bad idea? Yes, he did. Cain is his own worse critic of the 9-9-9 plan.

October 18, 2011 10:34 am at 10:34 am |
  6. Larry L

Isn't it odd that the optimal tax values came out exactly "9-9-9" in Cain's plan? One might think it was more of a marketing trick than an economic analysis... like something used to sell pizzas.

October 18, 2011 10:34 am at 10:34 am |
  7. xRedfoxx

Wow I love this guy. Be sure to support his "Black This Out" moneybomb tomorrow, named after the media blackout on his success in most polls and the fact he cam in 3rd with total donations and 1st in small donations.

October 18, 2011 10:35 am at 10:35 am |
  8. Rudy NYC

Sorry, Dr. Paul. But if you are "annoyed", doesn't that make you a "mad doctor"?

October 18, 2011 10:36 am at 10:36 am |
  9. Bill L.

Cain wants to give the Federal Government another revenue stream...that is a nightmare waiting to happen. I like the idea of a flat tax, but would rather just have a very small Federal government that is basically in charge of protecting our freedoms, haveing a strong national defense and help manage the transportation. On congress people should be fighting over how to improve our roads not run our lives. I'm ok with Fed's being called the Department of Transportation that sounds good to me.

October 18, 2011 10:38 am at 10:38 am |
  10. The Elephant In The Room

I agree that Cain`s "Nine" "Ninty-Nine" special is dangerous. It is a REGRESSIVE tax . . . the opposite of PROGRESSIVE – so I guess that means it is "conservative".

It continues the 30-year trend, started by Reagan, of shifting the tax burden AWAY from the most affluent and ONTO the backs of the hardworking poor & middleclass earners in the United States. This is un-American.

I must point out however that Ron Paul was willing to violate his "no criticism" rule; break Reagan`s 11th commandment when it came to Cain. It would seem Herman is getting to close to the big house for some of the good ole` boys.

This is different than when Perry was criticized for violations of the GOP mantra – "heartless on immigration" – or forcing vaccinations of teen girls. Cain get`s Republican Paul`s criticism for an idea that many righties agree with. I am just noticing the difference in treatment. It reveals something about Paul & the "Dixiecrat-originated" portion of the GOP.

October 18, 2011 10:40 am at 10:40 am |
  11. ForAmerica

Ron Paul's plan is the ONLY serious plan on the table by any candidate. Even some of Paul's critics who have refused to support him changed their mind yesterday. Rush Limbaugh endorsed Ron Paul yesterday over the economic plan. Ron Paul's plan is waking people up to what a real plan looks like. The 999 looks like it came from a game compared to Ron Paul's plan.

October 18, 2011 10:40 am at 10:40 am |
  12. Thinker

This guy is so honest and genuine it's unbelievable.

October 18, 2011 10:41 am at 10:41 am |
  13. Cody

Ron Paul doesn't need to waste his time with Herman Cain, the 9-9-9 plan is clearly not what the people want and its tyime for the media to shine the light on the true conservative plan, "Restore America"

October 18, 2011 10:42 am at 10:42 am |
  14. Wire Palladin, S. F.

Of course Cain's 999 plan is dangerous, but so is a Libertarian's view of the role of government.

October 18, 2011 10:59 am at 10:59 am |
  15. 99%er

It is dangerous and it only takes little thought to realize why those largely living off capital gains would LOVE 9-9-9.-- What a windfall !!!!! ............ Wonder how much $$$$ he received for presenting 9-9-9 ???????

October 18, 2011 11:00 am at 11:00 am |
  16. ThinkAgain

It's not just a dangerous plan, it's stupid. And for a guy who supposedly was a mathematician, it's nonsensical. I've heard from many small business people who've run their numbers, and they would all pay substantially more under Cain's 9-9-9 plan in tax (on their revenue, as well as on all the goods they buy to create their products).

Nein-Nein-Nein!

October 18, 2011 11:01 am at 11:01 am |
  17. Marie MD

Shouldn't this back to the 60's guy be thinking about retirement? Look what has happened to old man mccain. he still thinks anyone cares about what either one of them say!
    Sad, so, so sad! Why don't you find yourself some woman to stomp on! That's more your and your son's styel.

October 18, 2011 11:04 am at 11:04 am |
  18. Tom Yeseta

Paul's right, again...the U.S.A. doesn't need a new tax at the national level...here in Croatia we "enjoy" a 23% V.A.T. on everything...Cain's national sales tax will start at a 9% rate; who believes it will stay at that rate?

October 18, 2011 11:06 am at 11:06 am |
  19. Wire Palladin, S. F.

In fairness to Cain, if his plan had a fourth step, it would have exceeded the attention span of a teabagger. Remember they have an extremely short attention span, and three words is their max, like, "Drill, Baby, Drill," "Repeal Obama Care," and, of course, "Death Panels."

October 18, 2011 11:16 am at 11:16 am |
  20. MKS

Ron Paul has my admiration, but in fairness to Herman Cain, Mr. Paul should describe his own tax plan.

Mr. Paul is willing to step up and describe his $1T deficit reduction plan, and I hope Mr. Cain will do the same. These two GOP candidates are both superb leaders, and I hope one of them is President in 2013, but I look for them both to describe their methods of (1) deficit reduction and (2) revenue collection.

Sticking with the current U.S. Tax Code seems far more dangerous to me than 9-9-9. Keep our current Constitution as it is, and completely replace our current Tax Code.

October 18, 2011 11:17 am at 11:17 am |
  21. Amber

I love Ron Paul!!!! He is honest and truly cares about our freedom. I hope everyone will start to realize what an amazing person he is. Ron Paul is the defender of our constitution and wants to restore our country!

GO RON PAUL!!!!

October 18, 2011 11:21 am at 11:21 am |
  22. Woman In California

And you sir are FAR more dangerous than Mr. Cain and I wouldn't give Cain the time of day. YOU sir are a racist, extremist with a hidden agenda which IF unleashed would be dangerous for this whole country. I am glad and confident you will NEVER reside on Pennsylvania Avenue.

October 18, 2011 11:36 am at 11:36 am |
  23. Save America

well, it is dangerous. For the beginning it would work, but than it would kick us into problems. The trouth is Paul's budget program is the best one on stage I've read, and it's the only one, that BRINGS THE TROOPS HOME, AND LIMITS THE GOVERNMENT. And proposes real cuts, not some 2$ ones.

Ron Paul EARNED my vote with his honesty and real ideas. No more socialism in free America. Ron Paul 2012!

October 18, 2011 11:39 am at 11:39 am |
  24. Woho!

Good to see, that Paul's revolution has finally over the junk media ;)

RON PAUL 2012!!! RESTORE FREEDOM!

October 18, 2011 11:42 am at 11:42 am |
  25. Rudy NYC

Dr. Paul doesn't have a plan. Getting rid of everything isn't a plan. That's what's called demolition. Dr. Paul wants to wipe the slate clean and start over, which is a noble idea. Unfortunately, starting all over is not an option.

One would think that a doctor would realize that. I am pretty sure that he hasn't told sick patients to go kill themselves, so that they can be reincarnated all healthy and brand new again. Sometimes you have no choice but to work with the hand you are dealt. Those are the rules of reality. We cannot turn back time.

October 18, 2011 11:49 am at 11:49 am |