Romney: ‘There’s a good shot I might become the next president’
October 20th, 2011

Romney: ‘There’s a good shot I might become the next president’

Treynor, Iowa (CNN) – Mitt Romney on Thursday said he has a "good shot" at becoming president.

At an economic roundtable of business leaders in Treynor, Iowa, the candidate began the question-and-answer session by saying: “Your topics are at your choosing. But there’s a good shot I might become the next president of the United States. It’s not a sure thing, but it’s a good shot.”

Romney continued: “And if I am, I will benefit by having heard from you, your thoughts about what we can do better to encourage your enterprise, or enterprise generally, both on a short-term basis and long term.”

His meeting with business leaders was his second stop of the day in Iowa. Earlier, he campaigned in Sioux City. And after the economic roundtable, Romney met with voters at the Chamber of Commerce in Council Bluffs.

Though Romney has done scant campaigning in the Hawkeye State during this political cycle – this was his first visit since August – polls for Iowa have shown him either leading or maintaining a strong showing.

During his appearances, the former Massachusetts governor waded into myriad issues.

For example, in Treynor, Romney sounded familiar criticism of the Obama administration. “I’m concerned that our current leadership in Washington doesn’t have a fundamental understanding of how our economy works,” he said.

The candidate also reiterated his opposition to the president’s $447 billion jobs bill.

“He’s promoting a stimulus bill,” Romney said. “Look, the first one he put in place three years ago didn’t work. I don’t know why we’d vote for another one. Or agree to another one.”

Though Romney blasted the president’s plan - he did speak glowingly about the need to improve the nation's deteriorating infrastructure. Ironically, that is one central component of the president’s jobs bill.

It happened after Romney received a question from a man in the audience who said he spent most of his work life in the highway contracting industry.

“The first stimulus bill, we built a lot of stimulus projects,” the man said. “As you know, they were a flash in the pan. Now we’re back to the way it was before. I guess one problem we have in our industry is not constant funding of that.”

The man then asked Romney: “I just want to know what your views were on infrastructure, maintenance and development?”

“One of the things you have to have for an economy to work is an ample infrastructure,” Romney responded. “And our infrastructure is antiquated."

Romney continued: “I know in my state of Massachusetts, when I came in they told me we had 550 structurally deficient bridges. I said, ‘You gotta be kidding me. Five hundred and fifty structurally deficient bridges?’ And so we doubled our budget to work on our bridges, from $100 million a year to $200 million a year. But we got a lot more to do in this country to bring our infrastructure up to speed. And I’m looking at a series of proposals, to find ways – whether through public/private partnerships, whether through a special series of revenue streams such as tolls and so forth, to be able to make the investment we’ve got to make in our infrastructure.”

The candidate added: “We’ve got to find a way to rebuild our bridges, to rebuild the roads that were built in the 1950s and 1960s under the Eisenhower interstate highway system, and we’re going to have to improve many of our infrastructure projects.”

That language is not far off from language the president has recently used to promote his jobs plan.

For example, on September 22, Obama visited an old bridge spanning Ohio and Kentucky to talk about the nation’s deteriorating infrastructure.

"There's no reason to stand in the way of more jobs," the president said. "Mr. [House Speaker John] Boehner, Mr. [Senate Minority Leader Mitch] McConnell, help us rebuild this bridge. Help us rebuild America. Help us put this country back to work. Pass this jobs bill right away."

At other times, the president also has pushed the need to rebuild the nation’s crumbling infrastructure.

Follow Shannon Travis on twitter: @ShanTravisCNN

Filed under: 2012 • Iowa • Jobs • Mitt Romney
  1. Democrat Class Warfare - Destroying the economy, destroying the country

"Then ask them why Obama couldn't even pass a budget the first TWO years of his administration, when he had a congressional SUPERMAJORITY!"

(sigh) FILLIBUSTER – look it up. Specifically the 110th Congress.

There was no filibuster. What kind of lies are you spreading here? Nothing was ever brought forth. My guess is the Democrats didn't want to telegraph to the American people how deep they were driving us into the debt hole. Democrats have been VERY DECEITFUL when it has come to spending and giving the American people accurate cost estimates. Just look at the Obamacare disaster for proof. What they said was going to save nearly $70 BILLION turns out to be completely unfeasible.

October 21, 2011 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |
  2. WHOOSH

Yeah right Mitch.

October 21, 2011 02:50 pm at 2:50 pm |
  3. Michael Siever

Hmmph, there goes the media, twisting his words again. Here's the actual quote: "There's a good shot I might become the next president...of a Mormon Country Club..."

October 21, 2011 02:50 pm at 2:50 pm |
  4. erich2112x

If the GOP wants this to even be a fight they better get Romney in there. The rest of the pack is pretty sad.

October 21, 2011 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |
  5. jerry5555

This is funny. All the liberals coming out to bash an extremely intelligent man, who is a self made millionaire from smarts and hard work and is as moderate as a Republican can be. I know why the Libs are doing this too - Romney is the only candidate that has a chance of beating Obama, and who will beat Obama. Calling Romney stupid is like calling W. Bush smart... it can't be any further from the truth. Democrats, I see the fear in your hearts over Romney! HAHAHA

October 21, 2011 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  6. david in seattle

Of course its a good shot. His Republican buddies have been "shooting" at President Obama for so long and so hard, that one badly aimed shot such at Romney will cause his defeat.

October 21, 2011 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |
  7. Dreamer96

I don't think so, by November 2012, The out of work, the nearly out of any hope for help from the Republican Congress, the vast majority of American's are going to be so sick of the Republican Party, they will not vote Republican anything..

October 21, 2011 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  8. Democrat Class Warfare - Destroying the economy, destroying the country

Sorry everybody, my mom says I have to apoligize for my saying all those nasty things – or she won't let me us my Xbox nall weekend. I didn't mean to insult everyone especially our President. I was just trying to get attention and that rotten bully at school – Bobby Smith – just keeps picking on me!

October 21, 2011 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  9. Pravaa

Anyone saw the video today of Romney tongue tied facing the woman in Iowa over the contraception issue? Priceless. He had no clue how to respond....just a "appreciate it" muttered under his breath. And to think he wants to be the one facing Putin talking missile defence issues. Hahahahahaha.....would be hilarious. The best part was the woman's succinct summary in the end....it was simple.....Romney has no clue about the topic and it is scary such people are running for president.

October 21, 2011 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  10. Mindie from Indie

WHo is this "YOU" Mittens says he heard from. NOBODY except Mittens thinks corporations are people. Obama and the Dems will use that over and over and over and over against him. If only he hadn't said that....

October 21, 2011 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  11. Midwest Man

Without a doubt he DOES have a decent shot becoming President. Why do I say this . . .
    – Best debater on the stage hands down
    – Excellent fundraiser
    – Strong track record for getting things done and solving problems (Business, 2002 Olympics, Mass Governor etc.)
    – Excellent family values with an outstanding family to show for it!

Looks like the recipe for at least the nomination, maybe even the Presidency!

October 21, 2011 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  12. Robert

For Pete's Sake, I'm running for Office. . . Mitt, you nailed your coffin.

October 21, 2011 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  13. THE Essential Republican Skill

The essential Republican skill is to LIE WITHOUT HESITATION.

When Obama took office, we had NEGATIVE -6.7% annual growth in the economy. We have had positive growth in the economy since Q2 of 2009 !!!!! And Romney says the stimulus bill failed. That is because he wants negative growth in the US !!!!

October 21, 2011 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  14. Joe from CT, not Lieberman

thomas wrote: None of Mitt Romney's five sone volunteered for military service. I wonder what positions they will be appointed in Mitts administration ?

That's easy: Secretary of Defense, Secretary of the Army, Secretary of the Navy, Secretary of the Air Force and Deputy Defense Secretary.

October 21, 2011 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  15. Obama 2012

Mitt Romney would throw his grandmother under a bus to be president. He has flip flopped and sold out so many times, he doesn't even know what end is up. He needs a personal assistant to remind him what his positions are each morning.

Mornin' Mitty: Today, you are against abortion, for gay rights and against solar energy. Mitty: Oh, Siri, you're worth your weight in gold! I thought I was FOR solar energy!

October 21, 2011 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |
  16. Robert

I voted for Obama but I like Romney. Seems honest. Very smart and gets results. Harvard Law Scool + Harvard MBA. CEO of Bain & Co. an international business consulting firm, governor of MA a tough state, safed Olympics games in Salt Lake. Family man. Could be just what we need next critical 4 years.

October 21, 2011 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |
  17. The Real Tom Paine

According to Mitt, your job would be a problem he would solve by firing you and hiring a replacement with no health insurance, or shipping the company out of state. Why did he not run for re-election as governor? Probably because his approval rating was barely 40%, and he would have lost. His proble-solving is limited to making money for investors, not creating jobs or saving them in the companies he bought. FYI, the only reason he's the best debater on the stage is because many of his opponants can bearly string 2 sentences together, and do you really want a man who belives that corporations are people making decisions that will impact your family for generations?

October 21, 2011 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |
  18. Gee

I sure get a kick out of reading the Lib's comments about conservative candidates being puppets for the Koch brothers....how about the fact that the liberals are all in the pocket of George Soros and GE....you don't hear much about it in the media because Soros holds major shares in most of the different media stations out there, either directly or indirectly...If you want to know who the REAL dangerous people are they are Soros and his puppet Obummer and his administration....

October 21, 2011 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  19. Mindie from Indie

@jerry5555 doesn't know what he's talking about Democrats have no fear of Mittens – and here's why:

All the liberals coming out to bash an extremely intelligent man
    CORPORATIONS ARE NOT PEOPLE MY FRIEND however 'intelligent' mittens is, he made a very stupid remark that will haunt him all thru his campaign. We will not forget and we will not elect anotehr .

Who is a self made millionaire from smarts and ...
    Mittens inherited his fortune from his daddy or hasn't fake entertainment told you that yet?

as moderate as a Republican can be:
    Mittens is:
    Pro Abortiohn
    Pro Gay
    Pro Legalization of Marijuana

October 21, 2011 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |
  20. Democrat Class Warfare - Destroying the economy, destroying the country

==============================================================================================
    Typical infantile libtard post.... What do you expect from people who never made it out of mommy's basement?

October 21, 2011 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  21. NameMorpunkt

He will become the only hope to get this country out of the financial abyss.

October 21, 2011 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  22. Jay

The only reason you have a "good shot" is because there are so many stupid people in this country who are brainwashed into thinking that Republicans are good for them and their future. Like people who "support" Herman Cain and his 9-9-9. This guy is a frontrunner? Why? Because too many stupid people don't know what they're being fed is poison.

Have people forgotten what state the last Republican administration left us in? Or how about his father? Wars, wars, and bigger and bigger deficits.

Please wake up you stupid idiots, YOU are the reason this country is degrading. These Republicans are fooling you into thinking they are better for you. They're better for the rich, you fools.

October 21, 2011 03:52 pm at 3:52 pm |
  23. Senor Ed

Mitt for president! There are still a few jobs left in this country that he could outsource. After that, he'd pretty much have nothing to do.

October 21, 2011 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  24. Corporations R. People II

Mindie from Indie

October 21, 2011 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm
    -------------------------------------
    You called? As my name implies, I love Mittens stated view of why he does not, never has, and never will understand the Middle Class.

October 21, 2011 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  25. Buster Bloodvessel

Corporations ARE people. I met one in a bar, got her drunk and took her home, and created about fifteen new jobs. Unfortunately, they were all overseas . . .

October 21, 2011 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |