Romney: ‘There’s a good shot I might become the next president’
October 20th, 2011

Romney: ‘There’s a good shot I might become the next president’

Treynor, Iowa (CNN) – Mitt Romney on Thursday said he has a "good shot" at becoming president.

At an economic roundtable of business leaders in Treynor, Iowa, the candidate began the question-and-answer session by saying: “Your topics are at your choosing. But there’s a good shot I might become the next president of the United States. It’s not a sure thing, but it’s a good shot.”

Romney continued: “And if I am, I will benefit by having heard from you, your thoughts about what we can do better to encourage your enterprise, or enterprise generally, both on a short-term basis and long term.”

His meeting with business leaders was his second stop of the day in Iowa. Earlier, he campaigned in Sioux City. And after the economic roundtable, Romney met with voters at the Chamber of Commerce in Council Bluffs.

Though Romney has done scant campaigning in the Hawkeye State during this political cycle – this was his first visit since August – polls for Iowa have shown him either leading or maintaining a strong showing.

During his appearances, the former Massachusetts governor waded into myriad issues.

For example, in Treynor, Romney sounded familiar criticism of the Obama administration. “I’m concerned that our current leadership in Washington doesn’t have a fundamental understanding of how our economy works,” he said.

The candidate also reiterated his opposition to the president’s $447 billion jobs bill.

“He’s promoting a stimulus bill,” Romney said. “Look, the first one he put in place three years ago didn’t work. I don’t know why we’d vote for another one. Or agree to another one.”

Though Romney blasted the president’s plan - he did speak glowingly about the need to improve the nation's deteriorating infrastructure. Ironically, that is one central component of the president’s jobs bill.

It happened after Romney received a question from a man in the audience who said he spent most of his work life in the highway contracting industry.

“The first stimulus bill, we built a lot of stimulus projects,” the man said. “As you know, they were a flash in the pan. Now we’re back to the way it was before. I guess one problem we have in our industry is not constant funding of that.”

The man then asked Romney: “I just want to know what your views were on infrastructure, maintenance and development?”

“One of the things you have to have for an economy to work is an ample infrastructure,” Romney responded. “And our infrastructure is antiquated."

Romney continued: “I know in my state of Massachusetts, when I came in they told me we had 550 structurally deficient bridges. I said, ‘You gotta be kidding me. Five hundred and fifty structurally deficient bridges?’ And so we doubled our budget to work on our bridges, from $100 million a year to $200 million a year. But we got a lot more to do in this country to bring our infrastructure up to speed. And I’m looking at a series of proposals, to find ways – whether through public/private partnerships, whether through a special series of revenue streams such as tolls and so forth, to be able to make the investment we’ve got to make in our infrastructure.”

The candidate added: “We’ve got to find a way to rebuild our bridges, to rebuild the roads that were built in the 1950s and 1960s under the Eisenhower interstate highway system, and we’re going to have to improve many of our infrastructure projects.”

That language is not far off from language the president has recently used to promote his jobs plan.

For example, on September 22, Obama visited an old bridge spanning Ohio and Kentucky to talk about the nation’s deteriorating infrastructure.

"There's no reason to stand in the way of more jobs," the president said. "Mr. [House Speaker John] Boehner, Mr. [Senate Minority Leader Mitch] McConnell, help us rebuild this bridge. Help us rebuild America. Help us put this country back to work. Pass this jobs bill right away."

At other times, the president also has pushed the need to rebuild the nation’s crumbling infrastructure.

Follow Shannon Travis on twitter: @ShanTravisCNN

Filed under: 2012 • Iowa • Jobs • Mitt Romney
  1. Bill in Florida

God help us if Bush-lite becomes President.

October 20, 2011 11:19 pm at 11:19 pm |
  2. anthony78

Arrogant much, Mr Greasy Salesman? This guy is a straight up tool. He doesnt speak for me. He doesnt speak for you (unless you are a millionaire, and if you are, why the heck are you wasting your time on a CNN message board. Seriously?)

This guy is out to make the rich even richer and us working class people work even harder for less before he deregulates the companies we work for or gives them incentives to fire us and ship our jobs overseas... Think I'm lying.. go ahead.. cast you vote. I hope RPerry pops him in the mouth the next time he reaches over and grabs his shoulder.

October 20, 2011 11:26 pm at 11:26 pm |
  3. Enrique

Slick Mitt is also full of himself.

October 20, 2011 11:29 pm at 11:29 pm |
  4. MrSmooth

ahahahahahahahahahahahahaha, that's best Joke I've heard all week Mitt.

October 20, 2011 11:32 pm at 11:32 pm |
  5. MrSmooth

You are a funny man Mitt. Love the jokes

October 20, 2011 11:33 pm at 11:33 pm |
  6. independent

This guy is already picking out the curtains. Mr. Obama, how do you feel about that? Ready to play hardball yet?

October 20, 2011 11:37 pm at 11:37 pm |
  7. Mad at Romney

This guy Romney sounds like Obama.....aka a Democrat.

October 20, 2011 11:39 pm at 11:39 pm |
  8. Grand Oil (and Tea) Partiers

Willard, you might want to flip flop on that thought.
    You are just another corporatist fighting tooth and nail for your fellow 1%.
    Your own party can't stand you, thus you're stuck around 25%. Herb is neck and neck with you for crying out loud...

October 20, 2011 11:45 pm at 11:45 pm |
  9. Larry L

Americans should step away from Fox News and remember who not only got us into this situation, but who continues to obstruct any progress. Republicans are the lap-dogs for the rich and anybody outside to that income bracket is a total fool for getting duped into voting for this party. The fat cats are working you – playing on your fears and prejudices to get you to vote for people who don't give a crap about your well being. Think about it! Who dug this hole we're all in and who continues to protect just the rich?

October 20, 2011 11:50 pm at 11:50 pm |
  10. Golden Gate

So Romney is for infrastructure jobs as long as the bill is written by Republicans. WIth a few added items like extension of the Bush tax cuts for the rich, loosened environmental laws so corporations/mining can pollute more and not be fined, and of course tax cuts to corporations. I'm sorry, not corporations, "people" as the Republicans call them. You cant make this stuff up! They are all but ensuring Obama's re election and a wholesale flushing of our current "do nothing" congress.

October 20, 2011 11:54 pm at 11:54 pm |
  11. Nash

Well Mr. Romney get nominated first. I have a feeling you will be disappointed when you plan does not come to fruition. There is still time for people to change their minds especially when they look at your job killing record and flip floping on every issue.

October 20, 2011 11:54 pm at 11:54 pm |
  12. Ryan NC

My gosh, what an arrogant man! He really think he's something special....

October 21, 2011 12:08 am at 12:08 am |
  13. Lenny Pincus

"A good shot I might..." What ringing confidence! I doubt he has a chance of even getting the Repub nomination since Christian Nation doesn't trust him. He is a member of a cult after all.

October 21, 2011 12:11 am at 12:11 am |
  14. mica

Apparently Romney has not read Obama's Jobs Bill........just like he hasn't read the Healthcare bill.

October 21, 2011 12:12 am at 12:12 am |
  15. PackersFans

Vote for Mitt Romney 2012

October 21, 2011 12:21 am at 12:21 am |
  16. Carbon copy

Every child knows how the economy works. The rich gets richer. Trickle down, a joke. This admin hates the way the economy works. The economy wasn't destroyed by this admin. Was destroyed by the economic principles you espouse. You're just a fake.... And.... Everyone sees that. One more thing: negativity doesn't work. Try obama+. Look how effective Palin- and Bachmann- Glenbeck- Gingrich- has been..... It gave rise to the global OWC movement. Romney, you'll never defeat Obama.

October 21, 2011 12:26 am at 12:26 am |
  17. Numyorangay

Illegal immigrants. Did I say, illegal immigrants. Did I say, illegal immigrants. Did I forget to mention, removing passages from your book. Oh and I forgot, you touch Rick Perry one more time and you will never see the White House, stars maybe, but not the White House, Brother.

October 21, 2011 12:33 am at 12:33 am |
  18. thomas

None of Mitt Romney's five sone volunteered for military service .

I wonder what positions they will be appointed in Mitts administration ?

October 21, 2011 12:33 am at 12:33 am |
  19. AlaskaPalin

Is romney speaking of raising taxes (revenues tolls) on the american people to rebuild our infrastructure. Typical tax and spend politician. He can't even wait until he gets into the white house to push his hands into our pockets and rob us (pickpocket). His eyes probably lit up with the lucrative outcome he can foresee in taking our money and how simple it is to do it; its like taking candy from a kid. Romney=obama. Pigs have a good shot at flying.

October 21, 2011 01:05 am at 1:05 am |
  20. Vorpz

If by "good shot" he means "no way in heck," then sure, why not?

RON PAUL 2012!

October 21, 2011 02:11 am at 2:11 am |
  21. blursd

So let me see if I have the topic of this article correct ... a presidential candidate is speaking as if he will be the next president. Well, that's pretty damning ... I mean Romney is the first person running for president to EVER say such a thing!

This is pretty much what EVERY person who runs for president says and does ... give me a break ... You don't think Obama was making statements in 2008 about "being the next President of the United States," when hardly anyone even knew who he way and Hillary was pretty much assumed to be the Democratic nominee. All presidential candidates say crap like this ... this ISN'T news.

October 21, 2011 02:12 am at 2:12 am |
  22. J.V.Hodgson

I am so good at everything and so perfect I can almost predict the future.
    And I know everything about anything Next question please. Oh forgot I can create jobs because I'm a business man.
    As president no you cannot, you can only sttempt to get legislation thru congress that may or may not create Jobs, since that assume everthing and anything you say passes.
    Oooops something about checks and balances and filibusters someone saying NO.
    Get real your chances are dependent on caucaus votes in total... thats democracy when you have few Its ok to try a prediction. Arrogance is not a quality that wins votes.
    Regards,
    Hodgson.

October 21, 2011 02:42 am at 2:42 am |
  23. Joseph Smith

I'm concerned that my Mitty is saying he disagrees with Mr. Obama, but then mimicking him. Mitty, are you ok?

October 21, 2011 02:47 am at 2:47 am |
  24. usualone

And they call this President "arrogant!" Anyone running for the presidency has to have confidence about him(her)self or why would they put all their energies and monies (of others) into the race to capture their party's nominiation? But Romney goes beyond confidence for certain..

October 21, 2011 02:54 am at 2:54 am |
  25. truthalways

Romney needs to be our president. Obama must go.

October 21, 2011 03:39 am at 3:39 am |