Santorum officially a candidate in New Hampshire
October 20th, 2011

Santorum officially a candidate in New Hampshire

(CNN) - Rick Santorum made his presidential candidacy official in New Hampshire Thursday, filing his nominating petitions with the Secretary of State's office in Concord.

"I'm here to affirm that we are going to be here in New Hampshire," Santorum said as he filed the requisite paperwork to appear on the New Hampshire ballot. "We know we can do well. We really feel very good about the support we've been given. We're going to continue to fight here."

Other candidates who have filed to run in the first-in-the-nation primary are former Utah Gov. Jon Huntsman and Texas Rep. Ron Paul, who sent a representative to the state to submit the petition.

Vice President Joe Biden was scheduled to file Pres. Barack Obama's candidacy petitions in New Hampshire Thursday.

Santorum, along with Huntsman, former House Speaker Newt Gingrich, Minnesota Rep. Michele Bachmann, and former Godfather's Pizza CEO Herman Cain, have said they will boycott Nevada's presidential caucus if they maintain their Jan. 14 caucus date, since it will force New Hampshire to push up its primary date into December.

New Hampshire state law requires its primary be at least seven days before any similar contest in another state.

Santorum said he hoped the other candidates in the race would join in the protest.

"I'm hopeful that the fact that at least five of us have participated in this boycott of Nevada and hopefully the people of New Hampshire will continue to push the other ones to do the same that we will see some action on the part of Nevada to create an orderly process for the selection of the president," Santorum said.

In his remarks, Santorum addressed his low standing in the polls. The most recent CNN/ORC International poll showed 2% of GOP voters choosing Santorum as their nominee.

"I know it's an uphill battle for first place but I've been in uphill battles before and I've done very, very well when I've been the underdog," Santorum said.

He continued, "I sort of like the position I'm in, sitting back in the pack and letting the other horses run out there and exhaust themselves."

Filed under: 2012 • New Hampshire • Rick Santorum
  1. Stacey

Oh, well. The most Santorum could do is be a thorn in the side of Romney. He'll never win the nomination anyhow.

October 20, 2011 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  2. diridi

Obama, you have the Best Foreign policies....Hats off to you, count on my Vote for you....Obama2012.....

October 20, 2011 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |
  3. Elizabeth from Atlanta

It is typical of Rick Santorum. He has a history of trying to attack opponents using liberal arguments. When he attacked Mr. Cain’s 999 plan he used opinions from a liberal think tank that would criticize any Republican Tax structure. It was very clear to me that Mr. Cain understands knows that getting an abortion is legal and HE would not chose or condone a women for having an abortion in the case of an horrific situation like rape or incest. Moreover, in the case of rape or incest it is up to the family as to whether they chose to have an abortion because having an abortion is legal in the United States of America. Rick Santorum is trying to get some attention focused on him but most people understand the methods for which Sen. Santorum uses to attack his opponents.

October 20, 2011 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  4. Rob

Best foreign policies? You mean bombing 6 countries that have done nothing to harm us, and also put up a new u.s. citizen assassination threat list that can kill you or I if we do not agree with our gov't? Yea that is some great foreign policy. Get real. Its horrible. We shouldn't be at war without a decloration, that is why this country is going down the tubes and you are too brainwashed to see it!

October 20, 2011 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  5. insantorum

This guy is so limp, he only gets 4 comments. Give it up, get a real job.

October 20, 2011 06:31 pm at 6:31 pm |
  6. Ed DFWTX

Hey Rick, our founding fathers were worried about politicans like you. That's why they came up with "Seperation of Church and State." You offer no new ideas on how to create jobs or get the economy started, but offer only the same old, tired extreme right wing social agenda full of wedge issues. You will never be President so stop wasting your donor's money and give it up.

October 20, 2011 06:34 pm at 6:34 pm |
  7. livingston

Well, every vaudeville show needs a comic. He represented special interest and himself when he was here in Pennsylvania and we voted him out. When he ran again we said NO! He imade a laughing stock of Pennsylvania. Now he thinks he can run a country? Good luck with that. My cat would do a better job running it. At least he couldn't do any worse then him.

October 20, 2011 06:37 pm at 6:37 pm |
  8. once upon a horse

waste of time, money and media space.

October 20, 2011 06:37 pm at 6:37 pm |
  9. thomas

CNN , please forward to Rick Perry, Bobby Gindahl and Hally Barbour !
    More than 22 percent of Mississippians lived in poverty last year, making the state the poorest in the nation. , according to updated U.S. Census figures.

Rick Santorum is Irrelevant !

October 20, 2011 06:42 pm at 6:42 pm |
  10. Will wonders never cease?

Elizabeth from Atlanta
    I would have never considered Rick Santorum as being a "liberal that uses liberal arguments". But thanks for this new spin. I will have to remember this, the next time anyone tries to tell me that Santorum is a "social/true conservative". :)

October 20, 2011 06:43 pm at 6:43 pm |
  11. Fookin' Prawn

Admit it, Rick. You like the view.

@Rob – I know the Kool Aid is delicious, but we're going to have to cut you off if you drink so much.

October 20, 2011 07:29 pm at 7:29 pm |
  12. ED FL

I hope Santorum gets all the GOP votes in New Hampshire. Those 3000 votes will not even get you a seat at a free buffet.

October 20, 2011 07:56 pm at 7:56 pm |
  13. I LIKE A LOT OF CHEESE ON MY PIZZA

Mister Santorum is a legend in his own mind.

October 20, 2011 08:10 pm at 8:10 pm |
  14. jen

does this guy acutally think he has a chance to become president!!! that's too funny..

October 20, 2011 08:49 pm at 8:49 pm |
  15. hozo1

agree big time with Rob ... we should not be at war with anyone ... just fanning the flames of terrorism against us ... BTW obama you promised to get me out of the war ... LIED

October 20, 2011 09:18 pm at 9:18 pm |