Obama: 'America's war in Iraq will be over'
October 21st, 2011

Obama: 'America's war in Iraq will be over'

(CNN) – "After nearly nine years, America's war in Iraq will be over," President Barack Obama said Friday in announcing the full withdrawal of U.S. troops by the end of the year.

The new partnership with Iraq will be "strong and enduring," after U.S. troops leave the country, Obama said.

Listen to more with this week's Political Notebook:
Foreign Policy Wins for Obama! Will They Matter?

Filed under: Iraq • President Obama
  1. TEAliban/TEAhadists

HIP HIP HOORAY!!!! The war based on false pretenses, war crimes and murder is finally coming to an end.

OBAMA/BIDEN 2012
    E. WARREN 2012

October 21, 2011 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |
  2. Sandy

Another kept promise!

October 21, 2011 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  3. Sandy

Oh, now we can use that money to put people to work, especially the vets returning.

October 21, 2011 12:57 pm at 12:57 pm |
  4. the doc

Awesome...time for this war to be over!!

October 21, 2011 12:57 pm at 12:57 pm |
  5. GI Joe

BREAKING: Cheney's retirement fund takes a hit. ha ha ha ha ha

Sell your Haliburton Stock ASAP.

October 21, 2011 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  6. Out of Texas

A promise kept.

October 21, 2011 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  7. Pa Mom

I just watched the televised speach. All I can say is it was some of Obama's best campaigning. As the mother and sister of soldiers who fought both Iraq and Afghanistan, my understanding is much different that portrayed by the media. All I can say.....anyone who believes this man and does not see his path is naive or too narrow minded and self focused to do so. Will these soldiers now go to Africa?

October 21, 2011 01:00 pm at 1:00 pm |
  8. Rudy NYC

"Mission Accomplished." I would conclude that Pres. Obama's Iraq policy was a success. Promise made, promise kept.

Critics of the President's Libya policy overlook some key facts. Unlike Iraq, the Arab League asked President Obama to bring NATO forces to bear on the Libyan military. The Arab League must have felt a certain degree of trust that the country would *not* be overrun by the West, and a puppet government installed.

They trusted an Obama-led NATO to serve the people, not their own interests. It is s safe bet to say that trust would not have been extended to GWB. Do you think that sort of trust would have been extended to a Pres. McCain, or any Republican US President?

October 21, 2011 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |
  9. Maximus

October 21, 2011 01:02 pm at 1:02 pm |
  10. creole

Mr. President your the man Obama/Biden 2012 BABY!!!!!!

October 21, 2011 01:03 pm at 1:03 pm |
  11. Jake

Thank you, Obama!

October 21, 2011 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  12. NYCitizen

I am glad our troops are coming home...but in an already struggling economy, our jobless rates will go up (those reservists need jobs, don't they) – this is just an observation, and not a complaint: our troops should have come home a long time ago. Also, our government better throw a lot of funds into the VA Administration as our troops, I suspect, will need a lot of physical, psychological and spiritual support. Support the VA Administration!!

October 21, 2011 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |
  13. Dan

Lets see now. Obama has broken many of his campaign promises including the one in 2008 when he told the American people he would be begin removing troops immediately once he becomes president and remove one to two combat brigades each month, and have all of our combat brigades out of Iraq within 16 months. Hmmmmm, don't think that happened, nope, he just got us involved in Libya. If this guy was telling me the sun was shining I would go outside and look for myself just to be sure.

October 21, 2011 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  14. NYCitizen

@ Pa Mom: I was thinking the same thing after I just did my previous post. There was mention in the news media a few days/week ago that Obama was sending troops to Africa.

October 21, 2011 01:12 pm at 1:12 pm |
  15. Lynda/Minnesota

And so ends a war that should never have been started. I was overseas the day GW declared war on Saddam Hussein. Watched his "speech" via an airport lounge. Hard to believe it was nearly 9 years ago. It was also my last day as a registered Republican. Oh. BTW Pa Mom. I too have had numerous members of my family serve in both Iraq and Afganistan ... as have thousands of other American families. Best we support them without the politics ... yes?

October 21, 2011 01:15 pm at 1:15 pm |
  16. Dan

Pa Mom

*******************************************************************
    Many of us see the true Obama and a few that don't are still drinking the kool-aid. By the way, thank ALL the HEROES in your family for their service to our country.

October 21, 2011 01:15 pm at 1:15 pm |
  17. SecedingfromTexas

We are dancing in the streets!!!!

October 21, 2011 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  18. Wire Palladin, S. F.

America and the entire world thanks you President Obama. Bush's Folly in Iraq cost us $3 trillion dollars on our national debt alone, over 4000 of our finest soldiers, and hundreds of thousands of dead Iraqi civilians. All this to kill the man who tried to get Bush's daddy.

October 21, 2011 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  19. GI Joe

Has anyone else noticed in these postings that the republicans just want to whine whine whine whine?

October 21, 2011 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  20. Dan

Lynda/Minnesota

********************************************************************************
    Hey, don't forget many Democrats voted to start this war including Hillary Clinton. And please, lets be honest here. You were never a "registered Republican."

October 21, 2011 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  21. Wire Palladin, S. F.

Dan, get a life. No one believes you.

October 21, 2011 01:19 pm at 1:19 pm |
  22. GI Joe

PA Mom – 100 consultants is not a whole war. Grow up and stop whining. Wait until the republicans put ALL the men and women in Iran - then gripe all you want.

October 21, 2011 01:19 pm at 1:19 pm |
  23. GI Joe

Why do republicans hate human beings tthat are being tortured?

October 21, 2011 01:20 pm at 1:20 pm |
  24. TEAliban/TEAhadists

-----------------
    As a veteran, I can say that I see his path and his objectives. He is fighting terror where it exists and is intent on toppling dictatoral governments. Yes, there are spec ops forces in Central Africa. Al-Shabaab, which is a wing of Al queda is in Somalia and will eventually move west across the region if there is no intervention. I for one am not about being the world police, but I see the bigger strategy that is being played out here.

October 21, 2011 01:20 pm at 1:20 pm |
  25. Wire Palladin, S. F.

This my friends, and you republicans too, is a BFD!

October 21, 2011 01:20 pm at 1:20 pm |