Perry on the hunt
October 22nd, 2011

Perry on the hunt

(CNN) - Before taking off on a hunting trip with Republican Rep. Steve King of Iowa, an influential figure and highly sought-after endorsement in the state with the nation's first caucuses, Texas Gov. Rick Perry talked about his "love affair" with guns.

"As long as I've got memory, I've had something to hunt with," Perry said Saturday. "It was a long love affair with a boy and his gun that turned into a man and his gun, and then it turned into a man and his son and his daughter and their guns."

The folksy governor, while speaking with reporters near the hunting grounds, used the moment to defend gun rights and the Second Amendment, an issue he's long advocated.

"I think one of the great America traditions is taking your family to go hunting," Perry said.

King hosted his annual Col. Bud Day Pheasant Hunt at the 900-acre Loess Hills Hunting Preserve in Iowa. Former Pennsylvania senator and White House hopeful Rick Santorum will join the congressman for a hunt Sunday morning.

While King didn't signal who he'll back for GOP nomination, he praised the sport of hunting for creating "instantaneous bonds" and said that he and Perry had good discussions earlier Saturday.

"I'm conflicted on all of this because I have so much respect for all the candidates," King said. "I agree with what I've heard here this morning and we had a good in-depth conversation a couple weeks ago."

Perry also weighed in on the fiery exchange on immigration he had with former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney at the CNN Western Republican Presidential Debate in Las Vegas on Tuesday.

Romney attacked Perry for governing a state that's seen a sharp increase in the number of illegal immigrants since he took office, but Perry hit back claiming Romney had hired undocumented workers on his property.

"Mitt stands back and make statements about criticizing Texas for how they've had to deal with an issue that the federal government and people like himself are the problem," Perry said. "It was a passionate back and forth."

–CNN's Steve Brusk contributed to this report.

Filed under: 2012 • Iowa • Rick Perry • Steve King
  1. Love-My-Texas

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms . . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes . . . Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.”
    ― Thomas Jefferson, Complete Jefferson

October 23, 2011 11:27 am at 11:27 am |
  2. joeamerican1

Barry Sotero, aka Barack Huessein Obama can only shoot a basketball, and he certainly cant shoot even a remotely good score in golf (he's really terrible). And liberals and progressives, how many rounds of golf has he played compared to W? He's probably working on his next apology tour.......and what middle eastern country will he use our armed forces next to topple, so the extremist Muslims can take over?

October 23, 2011 11:29 am at 11:29 am |
  3. Love-My-Texas

"Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

October 23, 2011 11:32 am at 11:32 am |
  4. Love-My-Texas

"The two most important rules in a gunfight are: always cheat and always win."

October 23, 2011 11:34 am at 11:34 am |
  5. Love-My-Texas

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"......Thomas Jefferson

October 23, 2011 11:37 am at 11:37 am |
  6. cvh

I guess all of you who have something against hunting are vegetarians. Being a Christian does not mean you shouldn't hunt. The incident with the coyote was because it was going to attack his dog he was jogging with. I suppose some of you would have just let it fight his dog and kill it. We eat deer meat and wild boar (which are ruining ranch land in TX) all year round from hunting. Much healthier for you. The Bible says that God gave man dominion over the animals. I don't like just trophy hunting if you are not going to either eat the meat yourself or give it away. I know alot of hunters who give meat to needy people. And pheasant is very good eating too.

October 23, 2011 11:39 am at 11:39 am |