Cain tries to end doubts about his abortion stance
October 23rd, 2011

Cain tries to end doubts about his abortion stance

Des Moines, Iowa (CNN) - After sparking questions regarding his position on abortion, Herman Cain tried to drive a stake through any doubt about his pro-life stance on Saturday.

At the Iowa Faith and Freedom Coalition in Des Moines, the Republican presidential nominee reiterated his views against abortion - then went further so as to leave no room for speculation.

Mentioning the unalienable rights ingrained in the nation's founding documents, Cain said "that among these are life, from conception - no abortions, no exceptions."

Later, event organizers asked Cain: what would he do as president to prevent abortion on demand and defend traditional marriage?

On marriage, Cain sounded a familiar refrain of conservatives: that he would push for a constitutional amendment to define marriage as between a man and a woman.

Then Cain expanded on the abortion issue with a list of action items in a Cain administration.
"In terms of preventing abortion on demand, I would not sign any legislation where government funded abortion," Cain said.

He added: "I would not sign any legislation that, in a way, allowed the government to get involved in it. I would strengthen all of our current laws that prevent abortion. I believe that abortion should be illegal across this country. And I would work to de-fund Planned Parenthood. And I would make sure that I appoint judges that will enforce the constitution - no activist judges. And I would also make sure that we didn't allow any bureaucrats to get in the way in order to protect the life of the unborn."

Cain apparently hoped to drive a stake through a controversy created by his own words.
While discussing the issue of abortion on CNN's Piers Morgan on Wednesday, the conservative businessman unequivocally said he is pro-life. But when asked about cases of rape or incest, Cain said it should not be the government's role to weigh in on such matters.

"So what I'm saying is it ultimately gets down to a choice that that family or that mother has to make. Not me as president, not some politician, not a bureaucrat."

That caused some to accuse Cain of being personally pro-life but not staunchly against the legalization of abortion.

Filed under: 2012 • Abortion • Herman Cain • Iowa
  1. mk1

I just love how men are so eager to tell women who became pregnant through rape or incest that they MUST carry the child to birth. When are women finally going to understand that conservative men care little about them and that women to them are property who are to be told what they can and can not do with their bodies, and the women have no say. As others have said, nothing more than the Christian taliban.

October 23, 2011 01:32 am at 1:32 am |
  2. Noodle Nose Johnson

Way to pander Black Walnut. Your 15 minutes are just about up. You will soon be the answer to a Trivia question.

October 23, 2011 01:42 am at 1:42 am |
  3. Donkey Party

Not too good at pizza, Herb, just as well, you're about to be toast.

October 23, 2011 02:01 am at 2:01 am |
  4. skarphace

Cain: "Oh wait, you mean that I will lose votes and possibly the Republican nomination if I do not come out strongly and say that I am pro-life? In that case, of course I am pro-life, and anybody who tells you otherwise is a liar. Do I get your votes now?

Did I mention that what I said about killing hispanics on the Mexican border was a joke? Because it was, I swear.

Oh, and did I also mention that the 999 tax plan is now a 909 plan for those at poverty level? Can I get an Amen?"

Somebody needs to tell this fool that if you are going to be a flip-flopper, at least you shouldn't make it so obvious.

October 23, 2011 02:09 am at 2:09 am |
  5. CBR

Republican want to get the federal government out of their lives. However, they are more than willing to have to government be involved in women's choices. Either we are free to make decisions about our own bodies or we face the scrutiny of the conservatives. The choice should be fully in the hands of women and the
    menb need not make rules about how a woman makes decisions for herself and her body.

October 23, 2011 02:38 am at 2:38 am |
  6. No2Cain

So, once again, Cain flip flops.
    No thanks.

October 23, 2011 04:55 am at 4:55 am |
  7. NATHAN WIMBERLY

The top wingnut litmus test

October 23, 2011 05:53 am at 5:53 am |
  8. maljazur

And what more heinous crime can a GOP candidate commit than to actually respect that the fact that your personal views and values do not always determine the law of the land???

October 23, 2011 06:42 am at 6:42 am |
  9. John

The man change his mind again, at lease he didn't say It was a joke. This man Is way over his head.It just go to show you he doesn't know any thing about Politics or how to run this Country. It a lot different than a Pizza Business and a hole lot harder. And I till say his 9-9-9- plan Is a joke like he becoming.

October 23, 2011 07:50 am at 7:50 am |
  10. Lost in Texas FOREVER

one thing Cain has gotten right the the pro-life folks do NOT want to hear...the government needs to stay OUT of the abortion flap. No tax dollars should pay for one, but they should not have the right to tell a woman that she can not have one. Tax dollars do pay however to put criminals on death row to death guilty or not but life is not all equal in the eyes of conservatism.

October 23, 2011 07:52 am at 7:52 am |
  11. HenryB

And here we are again, pandering to the crowd. I understand why he has to; with this zealous religious right, you will not get anywhere if you have an original thought in your head. Do they have another pledge they can sign like the tax pledge? These people are simply amazing. And we, the most stupid electorate in the world, will continue to vote for these people. Shame on us.

October 23, 2011 08:25 am at 8:25 am |
  12. sensible

So, in case of rape or incest, it still sould be illegal???

Now if he can just remove any doubt he is crazy......I guess not.

An african-american republican???? sounds like uncle Tom...

October 23, 2011 08:39 am at 8:39 am |
  13. Sandy

What a buffoon! LMAO

Cain has no idea what he is talking about! He sounds worse than Romney. He is against and for it at the same time. LOL

And he hasn't a clue about foreign policy either, he said so himself.

This guy is toast.

October 23, 2011 08:42 am at 8:42 am |
  14. Jon T

Gotta Love Him.....

October 23, 2011 08:44 am at 8:44 am |
  15. Sorensen

Cain is ignorant, embarrassing and totally without a chance of ever being elected to anything except mediocre
    pizza-man of the tear. He does have nice sales-manager shirts and ties.

October 23, 2011 08:45 am at 8:45 am |