Romney takes sides in Ohio union fight
October 26th, 2011

Romney takes sides in Ohio union fight

(CNN) – Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney on Wednesday expressed his support for a referendum that would curb collective bargaining rights for public employees in Ohio, after he avoided directly weighing in on the battle Tuesday.

"I support question two and Gov. Kasich's effort to restrict collective bargaining in Ohio in the ways he's described," Romney said at an event in Virginia Wednesday. "So I fully support that."

He also apologized if he created any confusion with his earlier comments upon which rival candidate and Texas Gov. Rick Perry quickly pounced.

"As a true conservative, I stand with Gov. Kasich in promoting S.B.5 for fiscal responsibility and job creation in Ohio," Perry said in a statement to CNN Tuesday. "Gov. Kasich and the Republican leadership of Ohio are to be commended for their efforts."

During an appearance Tuesday in Ohio, Romney issued generic support for Kasich's efforts to curtail union rights, but he would not say whether he supported or opposed the specific measures.

"I am not speaking about the particular ballot issues," Romney said Tuesday, only after repeated questions from reporters. "Those are up to the people of Ohio. But I certainly support the efforts of the governor to reign in the scale of government. I am not terribly familiar with the two ballot initiatives. But I am certainly supportive of the Republican Party's efforts here."

Two hot-button measures that will be on the Nov. 8 ballot are attracting attention from those on both sides of the political aisle.

One of them, Issue 2, would overturn Senate Bill 5 –the controversial legislation backed by Republican Gov. John Kasich that curbs collective bargaining rights for public employees.

Another measure, Issue 3, would amend the state constitution to forbid the state and federal government from imposing a mandate to buy health insurance.

– CNN's Peter Hamby and Alison Harding contributed to this report.

Also see:

Perry sidesteps 'birther' question

Gingrich cites fundraising spike

Poll: Cain takes top position, Perry falls to fifth

Filed under: 2012 • Mitt Romney • Ohio
  1. Freedom Loving Independent

I am glad Mr. Romney is standing up against the unions and supporting a good governor who is trying to reign in fiscal irresponsibility in the government of Ohio.

The truth is that unions started out with good intentions and accomplished some good things in our history but are now, sadly, the tool of the democratic party to force a large block of people to give up their freedom and vote all the same way for one narrow issue. What I appreciate about conservatives like Mr. Romney is that they have a longer-term broader vision to maintain our freedom through personal financial responsibility. I am seriously considering voting for him for president if he runs against President Obama.

October 26, 2011 01:12 pm at 1:12 pm |
  2. seebofubar

Unions have destroyed the education system, automobile industry, transportation industry and construction industry. Now they are working on destroying the government (if they havn't already). What ever happened to personal responsability, hard work and loyalty to your employer? Unions are against all three. BOYCOTT ANYTHING UNION MADE!

October 26, 2011 01:14 pm at 1:14 pm |
  3. Mitt

Which Mitt?

You know my name's also Mitt and people are now constantly asking me the question 'which Mitt are you today?' This Romney guy seems like he's utilizing all his effort to prove to the voters that he just can't make up his mind on any issue. This is now affecting me as negatively as it's affecting him.

He flip flops on abortion, health care, illegal immigration, union rights and a list of other crucial issues. How does he expect us to rally behind him when he can't take a decisive stand on the crucial issues. His desperation to be president is having the better part of his reasoning ability. Now, he's becoming so pathetic.

Can we really trust Mitt? and which Mitt must we trust? I'm certain any one can yours truly!

October 26, 2011 01:15 pm at 1:15 pm |
  4. Mitt

Which Mitt?

Can we really trust Mitt? and which Mitt must we trust? I'm certain any one can trust yours truly!

October 26, 2011 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  5. bluedogboy

Thanks Mitt. You can move those electoral votes from Ohio into Obama's column. Now please travel to Florida and open your mouth.

October 26, 2011 01:20 pm at 1:20 pm |
  6. They ought to change from the elephant to the hippo...

Way to be decisive, Mitt (NOT!!)

How's about that 3AM phone call now? I can hear Mitt's response... "Aww- Can't it just wait until somebody else makes up my mind for me?"

Go away, you pandering clown!!

October 26, 2011 01:21 pm at 1:21 pm |
  7. tedt

Yea all the problems in america were brought on by unions. Give me a break. Why don't some of the other industrialized nations like germany for instance have problems with there unions? Because the companies know who makes them profits and who buys their goods. Union bashers get a clue!!!!!!!

October 26, 2011 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  8. Carolynr

Got a chance to read some of the posts. People...Perry is not a birther...would you please stop with spreading the rumor. He said that he was the President and that was the end of it. He hasn't seen the birth certificate so he cannot comment on it. HOW IN THE HECK DOES THAT LEAD YOU TO BELIEVE HE IS A BIRTHER? I can make the same statement...and I am not. Second of all...the reason that the USA cannot compete in the world and the reason that states are going bankrupt is because of unions. With a government job...you would think that civil service requirements would be enough...but oh no...we had to put in unions. Who pays for their increases...the taxpayers. This is what the governor of Ohio is trying to do...bring jobs into the state...bring business into the state...NOT SCARE THEM AWAY. I thought our problem was JOBS. Kaisch tries to bring them in, the union wants it way...and nobody has jobs...dud...dud...dud. BTW...union people...where do you dues to...to the DNC...not to help you OR THE STATE OR THE COMPANY.

Concerning Mitty..If you are thinking of this man for president....here is your answer...HE WILL NOT COMMIT, HIDES BEHIND STATE'S RIGHTS. Position is simple...Mitty...you either support it or you don't. This must have been a real joke in your family when your wife was with child...was she or wasn't she...that is the question I know...Romney's answer would have been she was "half pregnant". When are we ever going to back someone that comes down squarely on the issue. If you disagree with Perry...at least you know where he stands. If Romney gets the nomination...we will still be in the world of "yo-yo". Up down...Up down...and we're all dizzy.

October 26, 2011 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |