Gingrich touts experience over Cain’s
October 29th, 2011

Gingrich touts experience over Cain’s

Greenville, South Carolina (CNN) -– Claiming he and Herman Cain are from “two different worlds,” Newt Gingrich questioned Cain’s readiness to lead by emphasizing his own Washington experience to a South Carolina voter torn between supporting the two presidential candidates.

The former House Speaker told a jam-packed Chick-fil-A here Friday that he considers the businessman, a fellow Georgia resident, a good friend. “But I think in terms of practical, deep understanding of America that we just operate in two different worlds, we’ve had two different career tracks,” said Gingrich.

“The biggest difference I think is pretty straightforward: trying to fundamentally change America is really hard,” he said. “Talking about it is really easy.”

The man who asked the question appeared to be skeptical of Gingrich’s background, referring to him as an “experienced politician, and that’s what’s gotten us in the fix we’re in right now.”

That kind of anti-government sentiment might explain Cain’s rise to front-runner status with former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney.

Gingrich, however, argues his government experience is what makes him more qualified than Cain to be the next president of the United States.

“I’ve seen the legislative branch where my record is reasonably real and I’ve seen the executive branch, and I have a pretty good idea what doesn’t work,” said Gingrich. “And I’ve had a lifetime of studying history to try to understand what are the lessons of history and what are the lessons of America.”

Gingrich challenged the Chick-fil-A audience, many armed with his Contract with America pamphlets, to think about the following scenario when considering whether to support him or Cain.

“If you think to yourself it’s October of next year and President Obama has a billion-dollar war chest with which to try to destroy his opponent with advertisements and you’re down to the debates, who do you want standing on that platform opposite Obama explaining America so the American people decide that’s the future they want?”

Despite his poll numbers hovering in the single digits in the early primary states, Gingrich is confident he’ll come in the top two in Iowa and New Hampshire, and win South Carolina where he’s spending the next two days campaigning

“I think people are more worried about this country today than any time in my lifetime. Now, I actually think that’s the only time I make sense as a candidate because I’m a really serious person,” said Gingrich. “I mean, you’re not going to hire me to cheerlead at your birthday party but you might hire me to save the neighborhood.”

Filed under: 2012 • Newt Gingrich • South Carolina
  1. T'sah from Virginia

ginGRINCH – you will not be nominated to run against President Obama!!!

Obama 2012

October 29, 2011 08:43 am at 8:43 am |
  2. Clwyd

Newt, Go to Tiffany's and start spending some of the frugal $%000,000 line of credit you have there. it will keep you out of politics where you have no business in the first place!

October 29, 2011 08:45 am at 8:45 am |
  3. once upon a horse

well he's been married more time than Cain and possibly cheated on his wives more times as well.

October 29, 2011 08:51 am at 8:51 am |
  4. diridi

this idiot is Reagan's offspring, does not know a darn thing, messed this nation with Trickle down...o.k, pity.

October 29, 2011 08:52 am at 8:52 am |
  5. W.G.

Well I guess he´s right in the fact that he has more experience than Cain in the lying and
    cheating department just ask his EX-WIVES !!

October 29, 2011 08:55 am at 8:55 am |
  6. w l jones

Strange two people from Yamassee on same side of polictial party going after each other on experience, Bless.

October 29, 2011 09:02 am at 9:02 am |
  7. Atlprofguy

Sorry Newtie...I can't get past the way you have lived your personal life. The ex wife's club and their stories and experiences with you have pretty much made up the minds of a lot of folks about your character. Wait...is that Tiffanys calling? Seriously, lose weight, clean up the personal finances, your campaign finances are always reported in the news to be in shambles...so what is it exactly that you are going to do for us? Oh wait! I remember, you were going to give us term limits ( google Newties contract with America...dismal failure). You and Sarah Palin would make a great ticket! Hahahaha. Just plain' Have a good day.

October 29, 2011 09:05 am at 9:05 am |
  8. Donkey Party

Arrogant, pandering, ADULTUROUS LIAR!

October 29, 2011 09:06 am at 9:06 am |
  9. Redleg

They both had good plans to geet out of Vietnam though.

October 29, 2011 09:25 am at 9:25 am |
  10. Blake

I'm confused, Newt has already tried to help and serve America in elected positions in the past. He did not succeed. He has never really done very well. I lived in his district when he was a congressman. I even bought into his Contract With America. What an utter failure that was. Didn't Newt support Term Limits? What happened to that idea, Newt?

October 29, 2011 09:29 am at 9:29 am |
  11. Benjamin D. Crews

Gingrich is supported financially heavy by right-wing bigots. He is bought and sold. If elected to president, only the upper class will benefit. The question is, do you want a president that is dedicated to raising the prosperity of the poor and middle class, or helping the rich get richer.

October 29, 2011 09:40 am at 9:40 am |
  12. Errm

Chick-Fil-A??? Seriously?

October 29, 2011 09:49 am at 9:49 am |
  13. In other words, I'm white around his age, but had a better life

And as for Cain, he's black I have one up on him

October 29, 2011 09:50 am at 9:50 am |
  14. Kenny K

Is he refering to Perry by saying; "you’re not going to hire me to cheerlead at your birthday party"?

October 29, 2011 10:16 am at 10:16 am |
  15. Puddin

The Repubs haven't changed a bit since Gingrich was speaker. I recall how this guy treated Bill Clinton; just like the Repubs are behaving today with the current president (only worse).. They do not care a tinker's damn about the American people who are struggling to find jobs so they can take care of their families. Herman Cain lost my respect when he said "if you don't have a job, you've only yoursself to blame." Since I watched two sons go unemployed from '08 to 2011, and are now earning about a third of what they were earning, I know first hand the emotions felt by millions of Americans when he insulted them with that remark. A pox on him.!!! After Obama finishes his term(s) , I say WARREN BUFFET FOR PRESIDENT! I call myself an independent, but I doubt I will ever vote for another Repub. after observing the behavior of the current batch of Repubs.

October 29, 2011 10:19 am at 10:19 am |
  16. roro

Newt, take your helmet haired 21st wife and go back into the hole you crawled out of.

October 29, 2011 10:22 am at 10:22 am |
  17. Wire Palladin, S. F.

At least Cain has not been disgraced for wrongdoing in Washington, like Newtie.

October 29, 2011 10:26 am at 10:26 am |
  18. Wire Palladin, S. F.

Newt will do and say anything to get enough money to pay off his Tiffany charge card.

October 29, 2011 10:27 am at 10:27 am |
  19. sensible

Only South Carolina would be 'torn' between these two morons!!!
    Of course, after their former governor, I can see why they would like Gingrich. Cain has name recognition.....you know (Mc)Cain?....As I said S.C. voters are not too bright!

October 29, 2011 10:29 am at 10:29 am |
  20. sensible

The iconic Reptili'con'..... a Newt!!!

October 29, 2011 10:30 am at 10:30 am |
  21. Wire Palladin, S. F.

Most of Newt's contracts are worthless. How many marriage contracts has he had?

October 29, 2011 10:32 am at 10:32 am |
  22. sensible

A jam packed Chick-fil-a???? ... Must have been all 30 of his supporters!! Was the lobby at the jiffy-lube booked already(by Bachman)?

October 29, 2011 10:34 am at 10:34 am |
  23. Sorensen

If he can count to ten backwards and knows roughly what Europe is, he is brighter than Cain.

October 29, 2011 10:34 am at 10:34 am |
  24. Wire Palladin, S. F.

If Newt had been around in 1776, he and the republican party would have been Tories on the side of England.

October 29, 2011 10:35 am at 10:35 am |
  25. Chuk

Gingrich is delusional. Above all he's a politician. On one hand he can't talk enough about his Washington experience when it serves his purpose. But when it doesn't, he can't run far enough away from it. Typical.

October 29, 2011 10:37 am at 10:37 am |