Ron Paul wins both tallies at GOP straw poll in Iowa
October 29th, 2011

Ron Paul wins both tallies at GOP straw poll in Iowa

Des Moines, Iowa (CNN) - Ron Paul has won two separate tallies for the National Federation of Republican Assemblies Presidential Straw Poll.

Paul won both the Iowa-voters-only count at the Saturday convention in Des Moines as well as a tally of non-Iowans who participated.

In the Iowa voters result, Paul took 82%. Following him were Herman Cain with 14.7%, Rick Santorum with 1%, Newt Gingrich with 0.9%, Michele Bachmann with 0.5%, Rick Perry with 0.5%, Gary Johnson with 0.2%, with Mitt Romney and Jon Huntsman 0%.

The total number of votes cast in that tally was 430.

In the tally of non-Iowans who voted, Paul won 26% followed by Cain at 25%, Perry and Santorum tied at 16%, Gingrich at 11%, Bachmann at 6%, Romney at 1%, and Huntsman and Johnson with 0%.

The total number of votes cast in that count was 101.

Though Paul won both tallies, the NFRA has not yet officially endorsed a candidate. Delegates to the convention will decide that later Saturday.

Filed under: 2012 • Iowa
  1. Keith_N

What this article neglects to mention is that MSNBC reports that Paul's campaign purchased a large number of tickets for the straw poll and distributed them to supporters for $10, half off the price. Cain's campaign reportedly also purchased a large number of tickets and was selling them for $20 but had difficulty distributing all of them.

October 30, 2011 02:03 am at 2:03 am |
  2. Keith_N

This was a "pay to vote" poll and Paul "subsidized" the voters.... not very Libertarian if you ask me!

October 30, 2011 02:05 am at 2:05 am |
  3. Kevin Herbert

Please elect Ron Paul as your next President.

Sincerely

Kevin Herbert
    Sydney
    Australia

October 30, 2011 02:15 am at 2:15 am |
  4. samvadi

not sure about his economic persuasions but do like his blunt and direct approach.

October 30, 2011 02:19 am at 2:19 am |
  5. fred khaouli

Watched CNN all day and there was no mention of Ron Paul winning BOTH straw polls. It is completely ridiculous that they continuously focus on Cain and Romney. Go RON PAUL!!!

October 30, 2011 02:21 am at 2:21 am |
  6. Thomas

Getter Done Dr. Paul! CONGRATS

October 30, 2011 02:34 am at 2:34 am |
  7. Patrick from California

Here we come. "No matter how hard you can't stop us now." –Rage Against the Machine

October 30, 2011 02:38 am at 2:38 am |
  8. Taylor

Yeah Ron! End the wars!

October 30, 2011 03:23 am at 3:23 am |
  9. Mountain Fighting

President Paul's supporters are increasing every single day. The more and more Americans are educated about what happens if we continue to vote in candidates backed by special interests who are selling short on America the more and more support begins to swell for the logical choice Ron Paul 2012.

October 30, 2011 03:30 am at 3:30 am |
  10. brabbis

RJWTimes, Bradford, England," thats all u got?

October 30, 2011 03:42 am at 3:42 am |
  11. HAHA

So, Rick gets 4 TOTAL, yes that's correct, 4 TOTAL votes in the straw people and he gets the endorsement? Really?

October 30, 2011 03:46 am at 3:46 am |
  12. Jovanni

This is good stuff, keep up the support! Ron Paul 2012!

October 30, 2011 03:53 am at 3:53 am |
  13. God

I registered as republican just so I can vote for Ron Paul.

October 30, 2011 03:57 am at 3:57 am |
  14. David G.

Bring in the good doctor!
    Doctor who?
    Doctor Paul, that's who!

October 30, 2011 04:10 am at 4:10 am |
  15. jjcale

What will the media say when Ron Paul wins the Iowa Caucus????

... cause its gonna happen

October 30, 2011 04:15 am at 4:15 am |
  16. Francis

Damn right CNN...better start getting in step with the rest of America, and start giving this man some attention now! Us sheeple will be watching!!!!!

October 30, 2011 04:25 am at 4:25 am |
  17. Jason Burkart

As a recent Ron Paul convert, I have to say I'm impressed. I was once a follower of the MSM until I saw a youtube video of Ron Paul predicting the housing bubble back in 2003. Then I realized how mind controlling the MSM really is. Time will tell, but I pray others like myself will realize that Ron Paul is the candidate we have been looking for.

October 30, 2011 04:43 am at 4:43 am |
  18. Mayberry

Whoot Whoot! Go Dr. Paul!

October 30, 2011 04:46 am at 4:46 am |
  19. B T

You likely won't win, Ron Paul, but I'm incredibly glad you exist. Your stances on personal freedoms, your stances on america's place in the world, your views on the umpteen wars this country is waging, your pristine voting record.... All of these things I admire and agree with. We need a few hundred more people like you in washington. It's just your economics that scare the hell out of me. I don't even really disagree, It'd be a grand experiment... But us humans only live so long. I don't want to give up most of a decade of my life, of my kid's lives, on a "let them duke it out and may the most exploitative win" economic policy. Because they will win, the way power and money currently work. Money buys power, and enough power buys more money. Average americans just don't have enough money/power to matter. Even as president you couldn't do a damned thing about it.

October 30, 2011 05:04 am at 5:04 am |
  20. peng e fan

Paul, I'm going to proud voting for you on 01/06/11 for our states straw poll and 03/06/11 for our caucus!

October 30, 2011 05:28 am at 5:28 am |
  21. roseinnw

I am giggling with glee....Ron Paul IS a top tier candidate..I hope the LNM realizes thay have No Choice but to begin covering more of the Good Drs. candidacy...In Liberty! Ron Paul 2012!

October 30, 2011 05:36 am at 5:36 am |
  22. Gordon Hopkins

What do you care RJW. Your not even from this country.

October 30, 2011 05:45 am at 5:45 am |
  23. Marius

I'm from Germany and I so hope that Ron Paul will make it. It might be the last chance for the USA and the whole world. This massive left wing groth is serious...

October 30, 2011 05:55 am at 5:55 am |
  24. iv54

why does huff post says ron came in third and cain came in first.

October 30, 2011 05:59 am at 5:59 am |