Romney remains the top target of GOP rivals, White House
October 30th, 2011

Romney remains the top target of GOP rivals, White House

Washington (CNN) - Herman Cain may be battling with Mitt Romney atop the Republican presidential polls, but Romney remained the "target du jour" Sunday for both his current and possible future competition.

Two other rivals for the GOP nomination - Texas Gov. Rick Perry and a fellow Texan, Rep. Ron Paul - as well as David Plouffe, a senior advisor to President Barack Obama, all accused the former Massachusetts governor of flip-flopping on major issues in a bid to strengthen his conservative credentials.

FULL STORY

Filed under: 2012 • Mitt Romney • President Obama • Republicans
  1. G

It is going to be interesting to see if Romney gets the GOP nomination, since most of the republican base can't stand him.

October 30, 2011 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  2. Nadeem

Best two line from Sunday Talk "Romney has no core" – "It is not attacking to tell the truth" Rick Perry

October 30, 2011 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |
  3. MaryM

He will not be able to win a general election. None of the GOP/TP candidates can win a general election.

October 30, 2011 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  4. Wire Palladin, S. F.

Since conservatives are soft on terror, know little about economics, have waged class warfare for 30 years against all workers, and added $5.5 trillion to our national debt, you would think Americans would reject the republican party.

October 30, 2011 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  5. Wire Palladin, S. F.

In certain parts of Florida, the Hunter becomes the Hunted.

October 30, 2011 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  6. Wire Palladin, S. F.

Will Chuck Norris, Hank Williams Jr, Ted Nugent, Beck, and Rush Limpbag endorse Mitt Romney?

October 30, 2011 05:05 pm at 5:05 pm |
  7. tif31

Palin is probably the one who painted the target on him. The last time she did that, someone took her seriously.

October 30, 2011 05:12 pm at 5:12 pm |
  8. Tony

Republicans and Democrats agree: Romney has no core beliefs (except for his religion). Nobody knows where he stands, because he has been on both sides of every major issues.

October 30, 2011 06:27 pm at 6:27 pm |
  9. canuck41

it is becoming more clear all the time. When they all start ganging up on you then you know for a surety..you are the one!!! ROMNEY WILL BE THE NEXT PRESIDENT!!!!

October 30, 2011 07:16 pm at 7:16 pm |
  10. MJB

If Perry can't debate and becomes Pres then he will have a really difficult time of it. Our leaders have to debate leaders of other countries all the time. They are all losers. They need to stop fighting among themselves and get to the points.
    Mostly Bachman is about the only one thats comments on how Obama had run this country into the ground in so many ways, not calling each candidate out. Get to the facts on how to get us out of this mess this lase administration has gotton us into. And no I;'m not voting for Bachman,.

October 30, 2011 08:18 pm at 8:18 pm |
  11. Larry L

I understand he's considering his name to Christian Bubba Romney. Why not? All of his other positions shift with the political winds...

October 30, 2011 10:29 pm at 10:29 pm |
  12. SteveAndrew

Mitt may want to sit out a couple debates. He is all flip flopped out. He has covered all issues viewing pro and con on all things. You kind of wonder if he is pro Mormon is that a Sunday statement. Who knows he may be Scientology on Mondays? He is just trying to please everybody. I guess nobody is getting the joke. The joke is on you.

October 30, 2011 11:26 pm at 11:26 pm |
  13. Brian

Wow , uninformed, soft on terror, sounds like Clinton, who i liked, where is Obama on these issues, no telling?

October 30, 2011 11:56 pm at 11:56 pm |
  14. J.V.Hodgson

I am amazed at the frequency with which the issues of abortion, gays and other religious issues pervade Republican politics.
    The last time I saw any serious National polls on these issues not orchestrated or funded by pro life or thier opponents organisations there was not a clear majority either for or against all those matters.
    QED for me the rights of the opponents for banning abortion, gay marriage etc (and DOMA is to me unconstitutional) as it and gay and abortion issues clearly bring religion into politics and Is unconstitutional and an interference in my personal basic freedom(s) and pursuit of happiness.
    Regards,
    Hodgson.
    If those matters are because as an individual say for pro life or in the opposing camp you will choose not to vote for that candidate because of His or her view on that alone it is god help us all.
    I haveto say all of them put together are at most 5% of the determinant in my vote and I am a christian but thats as far as I go evangelical, baptist, catholic I will never say to anyone But in local elections for REP or Senator its pretty easy to find out which church I go to regularly or not. I simply choose not to win or lose an electors vote by pandering to either side of those debates they are up to each individuals conscience and religious beliefs.
    Regards,
    hodgson.

October 31, 2011 12:11 am at 12:11 am |
  15. JT

As in Independent Romney is the only Republican I would vote for. Center right, sounds good to me. A vote for Perry or Cain in the primary is a vote for Obama in the general. Do you really see Cain or Perry getting us back to work?

October 31, 2011 01:23 am at 1:23 am |
  16. Marie MD

romneycare I am worth $250M is not going to make it. I have never seen a man look so uncomfortable without a tie and no long sleeves. It's like he is the typical business tycoon who thinks he only looks good dressed up.
    Is he bringing any American jobs back? Those that he himself sent overseas?

October 31, 2011 06:20 am at 6:20 am |