Competing infrastructure spending measures fail in Senate
November 3rd, 2011

Competing infrastructure spending measures fail in Senate

Washington (CNN) - In a pair of votes aimed more at making political points than law, the Senate rejected competing Democratic and Republican proposals to boost construction of roadways and other infrastructure projects.

Republicans blocked the Democratic bill, which would have approved about $50 billion for projects and another $10 billion to start an "infrastructure bank," because it relied on a surtax on people earning more than $1 million a year.

FULL STORY

Filed under: Congress • Senate
  1. Mikey

There was a time when people were willing to sacrifice for the good of their country. I guess it's good our motto isn't "E Pluribus Unum" anymore. Perhaps we should adopt a more appropriate motto, like "I've got mine and I'm not downsizing my life for anything." Makes me proud.

November 3, 2011 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |
  2. MTATL67

I would like Sen. McConnell or any Congressional Republican to hold a press conference an tell American in detail how their no votes and filibustering has helped one single American or family or how he helped a struggling business get back on its feet or help a community rebuild up its infrastructure so business would come back. The Republican party has now become a party of obstructionist to Americas recovery.

November 3, 2011 06:04 pm at 6:04 pm |
  3. SecedingfromTexas

The Republicans all kissed that "Random Person" Norquist's ring, then they crawled out on their bellies saying
    "Yes master, "no" vote it is", "thank you master", "don't hurt me master", we will "obey". After all, who is
    paying their salary? The American people? Guess not.

November 3, 2011 06:06 pm at 6:06 pm |
  4. Four and The Door

I am proud of every Republican along with Joe Lieberman of Connecticut and Ben Nelson of Nebraska who understand that attempts to bring about new taxes...even on the high earners...are a bad idea right now. Controlling federal government spending is an excellent idea right now. Washington is finally working for those of us across America who work and pay taxes. The Obama/ Reid spending machine is getting shut down and not a minute too soon.

November 3, 2011 06:17 pm at 6:17 pm |
  5. Voice of Reason

So who won?

Certainly not the Americans.

November 3, 2011 06:31 pm at 6:31 pm |
  6. Lisa P

@Mikey

Haven't you heard? Yesterday Congress took care of the urgent business of reaffirming "In God We Trust" as our national motto. I guess "E Pluribus Unum" is too socialist for *some* people - probably the same people who want to make sure that only God will be able to get us out of the mess they are creating.

November 3, 2011 06:35 pm at 6:35 pm |
  7. Voice of Reason

This whole, 'YOUR side of the lifeboat is sinking, not mine.' nonsense HAS to stop. Party loyalty has dragged the government to a standstill, and these idiots on Capital Hill arent the ones who are suffering.

I'd like to ask any of those selfish members of congress to go find someone who would have had a job because of (either of) those bills, and look them in the eye, and tell them that they are going hungry tonight for the good of the party. I hope they have bodyguards or know how to run.

November 3, 2011 06:36 pm at 6:36 pm |
  8. once upon a horse

so once again we the American people LOSE!

November 3, 2011 06:37 pm at 6:37 pm |
  9. d

Mikey...you are so right! and it makes me sick and sad as can be!

November 3, 2011 06:51 pm at 6:51 pm |