November 3rd, 2011

Perry aide: I didn't leak the Cain story

(CNN) – Curt Anderson, a newly hired consultant with Texas Gov. Rick Perry's presidential campaign, denied any involvement in the leaking of allegations that rival candidate Herman Cain was accused of sexual harassment in the 1990s.

"I didn't know anything about this, so it's hard to leak something you don't know anything about," Anderson said Thursday on CNN's "American Morning." "I didn't know anything about this, I didn't leak it."

Anderson previously worked on Cain's unsuccessful 2004 U.S. Senate campaign in Georgia and the Cain campaign blamed him Wednesday for leaking the story.

Cain, a former pizza executive, told Forbes he alerted Anderson to one of the alleged incidents during that Senate campaign, a claim Anderson denies.

"Those charges were baseless, but I thought he needed to know about them," Cain said. "I don't recall anyone else being in the room when I told him."

But Anderson said Cain's presidential campaign is "floundering," and placing blame on him is a "diversionary strategy."

"They're grasping at straws," Anderson told CNN Chief Political Analyst Gloria Borger. "They figured it's a good diversionary strategy to take him out of the limelight to say someone else did it."

"I'm disappointed he tried to use me as a pawn to try to get out of this mess he's in, but I'm not going to use that to discolor everything I know about the guy," Anderson added.

The Perry campaign also claimed it did not know about the allegations until POLITICO first published the story Sunday.

"No one at our campaign was involved in this story in any way," Perry campaign communications director Ray Sullivan said. "Any claim to the contrary is patently false."

Filed under: 2012 • Herman Cain • Rick Perry
  1. Palin 2112

A Romney supporter, the former head of the NRA, leaked the story to the press and a Perry aide confirmed it. Simple, truthful and verifiable.

November 3, 2011 09:57 am at 9:57 am |
  2. Lucy

Yeah ok........ Funny how someone from your camp states 'they were there when it happened'. In a work place so many things can be considered sexual harrassment. There a stricter guidelines. One comment that can mean nothing to one person can mean something completely different to someone else. I don't know the facts involved in this case or any other case. I do think it speaks volumes about the Perry camp.I don't want to hear anything else that Perry has to say. You would think at least the Republicans could discuss ideas together and agree to disagree instead of mud throwing. I'm a registered Republican and I blame the Republicans for this stupid drama. I don't think i want to be associated with either party anymore. I just want to hear how this country can heal, i'm open to anyone that makes any sense.

November 3, 2011 09:59 am at 9:59 am |
  3. girlfromdallas

Who cares if the Perry camp DID leak it!? How do you "LEAK" the truth????? Really? I'm a "right wing conservative" and I don't like either of them, but be consistant people. If EITHER of their lips are moving they are lying...about something. I'll still vote for my dog, Lilly, over Obama.

November 3, 2011 10:01 am at 10:01 am |
  4. mdn

Ann Coulter has ranted that this scandal is the doing of the Dems and the left. I think it makes more sense that this is Rick Perryy's doing, as he has the most to gain from Cain's demise.

November 3, 2011 10:01 am at 10:01 am |
  5. Laurie in Spokane

First of all, Cain is going to deny any sexual harassment, even though it appears a settlement of some sort was made with these women. Secondly, this is politics right?, so he'll put the blame of a leak somewhere else, anywhere else. For my part, I think these high-powered, egotistical men think they can do what they want, or say what they want with impunity. Good-bye Cain.

November 3, 2011 10:04 am at 10:04 am |
  6. Numyorangay

" . . .but I'm not going to use that to DISCOLOR everything I know about the guy," Anderson added."

Racial subtext. . .now, how does one discolor Herman Cain. . .seems Cain does a good enough job of it himself. . .

November 3, 2011 10:05 am at 10:05 am |
  7. Dave

Both Perry and Cain are losing ground. I'm voting for Romney. He is intelligent and articulate, and can led organizations to success.

November 3, 2011 10:05 am at 10:05 am |
  8. Lynda/Minnesota

If Cain was so concerned about "those charges" during his 2004 Senate run, perhaps he ought to have once again addressed the issue before he chose to run for President, instead of playing the "I don't recall" card as happened when Politico first approached him. This three ring circus is of his own making ... apparently Cain now wants to take others done with him. How unfortunate.

November 3, 2011 10:09 am at 10:09 am |
  9. Save Us Jeebus

And let the games begin! I love it. Meanwhile, Romney quietly walks around the fray and into the nomination.

November 3, 2011 10:12 am at 10:12 am |
  10. Mary

Just quit the crap and get to the issues. This is what makes politics really suck

November 3, 2011 10:13 am at 10:13 am |
  11. Skd

I thought Herman Cain stepped up to say that racism was a nonfactor in America. Yet the first thing he did was blame the current scandal on being a Black Republican. How quick we are to play the race card when the shoe is on the other foot.

November 3, 2011 10:19 am at 10:19 am |
  12. Peter

The quiet guy all of a sudden (Perry)... His group leaked it... I'll bet my vote on it. Its a tactic in every Presidential Campane to find dirt or to make up dirt on the better man. These Politicians must think that we are stupid?... It's never a fair fight! NEVER... Cain blows away the competition... Their's Cain and their's everybody else...

November 3, 2011 10:21 am at 10:21 am |
  13. petemg

Mr. perry, is this person trustworthy to work on your team?

November 3, 2011 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  14. Robert

Did anyone else notice that there was no negative campaigning within the Republican hopefuls until Rappin Rick Perry entered the contest?

November 3, 2011 10:28 am at 10:28 am |
  15. Howard

Who "leaked" the story doesn't matter. What matters is whether it's true and how Cain handles the pressure of dealing with it. That's why we have these long exhausting Presidential campaigns. It's so we can bring the dirt to light and see how the candidates react under pressure. Make no mistake; this is now all about Cain, what he did and what he now does.

November 3, 2011 10:30 am at 10:30 am |
  16. Rudy NYC

The Republican race is geting more interesting by the day:

Cain, the guy who calls himselff the black walnut, has cracked, and the ice cream is melting.
    Perry, the guy with the good hair. lets his hair down and he looked like a blind date.
    Backmann, the lady with the good eyes, doesn't realize her message is skipping like a scratched record.
    Romeny, the guy with the most going for him, goes into hiding whenever the weather turns bad.

November 3, 2011 10:33 am at 10:33 am |
  17. FIELD1stSGT

This is what you get out of Obama and his Liberal network of followers and media. The slander, lies and do anything attitude to stay in power. All the while he is laying the goundwork for dictatorship. We as Americans are so stupid to allow such degraduation out of these heathers then we deserve everything we get. RIZE UP PATRIOTS AND LETS TAKE OUR COUNTRY BACK.

November 3, 2011 10:37 am at 10:37 am |
  18. Kerry

November 3, 2011 10:40 am at 10:40 am |
  19. sortakinda

Wherever this story came from, the American people have a right to know as much as possible about the candidates. Clinton had a ton of rumors in this direction, but he was still elected–twice, to our national disgrace. This ain't France, folks.

November 3, 2011 10:44 am at 10:44 am |
  20. SteveAndrew

Tony Fabrizio the new adviser for Rick Perry is such scum he is as low as Karl Rove and should be put in jail for stabbing people in the back. He is the most like person behind this situation or his staff.

November 3, 2011 10:45 am at 10:45 am |
  21. REG in AZ

And why is the person who leaked the story of more concern then whether the story is true and if true, what it says about Cain? Somehow it seems like things just get turned around.

November 3, 2011 10:45 am at 10:45 am |
  22. Smalltowner

As Al Sharpton would say...." A fish can't get caught...if he keeps his mouth shut".

November 3, 2011 10:46 am at 10:46 am |
  23. David

Is there a viable GOP candidate in the field at this point. And please don't say Ron Paul. They're tearing each other down - the democratic party can just sit back and watch the circus.

November 3, 2011 10:51 am at 10:51 am |
  24. Lynda/Minnesota

@Rudy - "Who's next? Who's going to be the next flavor of the week? How long will it take Republicans to realize that unless they find serious faults, that they are going to be stuck with Romney? Pass the popcorn, please."

I stocked up last night. Looks like we're heading into a "two pack a day" popcorn week.

November 3, 2011 10:53 am at 10:53 am |
  25. Bob in Pa

"Clue: If you have skeletons in your closet they will come out when you are running for the highest office in the nation. Cain needs to quit looking for scapegoats and pointing fingers at others. He made his bed, let him lay there."

Too bad he doesn't have a media that is willing to keep people out of his bed like Obama does.

November 3, 2011 10:53 am at 10:53 am |