Bachmann: I would create 'millions of jobs'
November 4th, 2011

Bachmann: I would create 'millions of jobs'

(CNN) – Minnesota Rep. Michele Bachmann is confident that when it comes to jobs, she would be a rainmaker as president.

“I have no doubt that we would create millions of jobs,” she said Friday of her prospective presidency, shortly before the October jobs report reflected a dip in unemployment.

The NBC interview took place before the official report that unemployment has decreased to 9% was released, but Bachmann made sure to lay blame for the economy’s shortfalls where she saw fit.

“House Speaker Nancy Pelosi said if we passed Obamacare we’d create four million jobs,” she said. “I talk to job creators all the time in Iowa, they aren’t hiring because of Obamacare, because of all the tax increases that are involved.”

And on the issue of taxes, the third term congresswoman who’s seeking the 2012 GOP nomination for president said it’s time that all Americans start paying up.

“I want [tax rates] flatter, fairer, simpler,” Bachmann said.

“Only 53% of the American people pay any federal income tax, 47% of the American people pay zero federal income tax, that’s not fair. Everyone benefits from this magnificent country, everyone needs to pay something, even if it’s only $10,” she continued.

“I believe we have to broaden the base to include every American. It’s about time and it’s only fair.”

Facing down rumors of trouble within her campaign, Bachmann asserted that “we are working very hard and we’re very strong.” Five members of her team resigned in October, including the manager of her New Hampshire campaign, but Bachmann argued that staff turmoil is not on the minds of everyday people.

“Not one person has asked me about who we’re hiring or who our staff is,” she said. “What they say to me is, ‘Michele, I really like your plan.’”

Bachmann has been spending a lot of time in the first-in-the-nation caucus state where she won the critical Iowa Straw Poll in August, and where she hopes to finish strongly in the first presidential nominating contest on Jan.4.

“Mine is a pro-growth, pro-job plan, that’s what people want, that’s what they’re excited about here in Iowa,” she said.

Filed under: 2012 • Iowa • Jobs • Michele Bachmann • unemployment
  1. Steve Bancroft

Michelle sweetie, I'd spend more attention to the gazillion of crow's feet around your eyes and just give up on presidential aspirations. In the long run, you'll thank me and in the longer run, we'll all thank you.

November 4, 2011 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |
  2. Chedar

Look what this DoDo bird is saying.

November 4, 2011 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |
  3. stranger in an increasingly strange land

Given her history, maybe somebody told her she would create jobs by the millions through magic.And her idea to tax everyone simply means she wants to tax the folks that don't make enough to pay taxes so she can give tax breaks to the really rich.
    This woman is a blithering idiot. Somebody will, of course, have to explain to her what blithering is.
    The only Republican who seems to be trying to explainwhat he would do if elected is Rommney. Perhaps Bachmann could ask him how to put forward a proposal with some substance rather than saying: trust me about this-I have a secret plan I can't show you until after you elect me.

November 4, 2011 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |
  4. Lolo

@ Democratic Party, you really are stuck on stupid. Your dear President Bush and his cronies shipped the jobs overseas to line their pockets. You need to be mad at them. Where were you when they were doing their dirty work? Rubbing your hands together waiting for Bush and his pals to pay you off. Such a hypocrite.

November 4, 2011 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  5. Auzzie

This from a candidate that cannot fund her presidential campaign or fully staff her New Hampshire office.

SURE RIGHT!!!

November 4, 2011 01:56 pm at 1:56 pm |
  6. justrob

I'm sure she would and every one of them would be for a sub min. training wage I'm sure

November 4, 2011 01:59 pm at 1:59 pm |
  7. A Repulbican

Agreed. The strategy of "Obam did it. It's his Fault for everything" is getting old and tired. I wish my party would stopped the bashing and be more about what specifically they would do rather than "undo everything that obama has done" strategy. OK let's see what was before obama: the greatest recession where unlike todaye negative job growth, trillions spent on three wars, banks bankrupt, autocompanies bankrupt, insurance companies almost bankrupt, all under the low tax, no regulation banner. I need to hear something new!

November 4, 2011 01:59 pm at 1:59 pm |
  8. Mike Smith

Bye Michele. Enjoy your fifty plus tax deductions for fostering children.

November 4, 2011 01:59 pm at 1:59 pm |
  9. Charlie from the North

For fifteen minutes more of fame press 1, for a job at Faux News press 2,for an extreme personality make-over press 3,to become a contestant on "Let's make a Deal press 4. To repeat this menu press 5. (honestly she is running out of options.)

November 4, 2011 01:59 pm at 1:59 pm |
  10. Orchid333

I thought the Republicans were against tax increases? Oh, but it's okay to make the poor, less-fortunate pay taxes. Yes, those are the people who need to be taxed most. Pft.

November 4, 2011 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  11. Steph

Bachmann will give us $2 gas, millions of jobs and a unicorn who farts glitter if she's elected. Please support her, I've always wanted a unicorn (the glitter is just icing on the cake)!

November 4, 2011 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  12. Steph

good point ed

November 4, 2011 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  13. awasis

Are you going to counter with your 666 plan?

November 4, 2011 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  14. WhereIsPalin

Creating jobs might be true in her world, but not here on earth.

November 4, 2011 02:01 pm at 2:01 pm |
  15. Martha in CF

Come on Michele, you are a Republican Tea Partier probably a Grover Norquist pledge signer. You people don't know how to create jobs.

Obama/Biden 2012

November 4, 2011 02:01 pm at 2:01 pm |
  16. cigarman

If Bachman gets the nomination there will be a lot of jobs for psychitrists, it will take at least a million of them full time to find out what is wrong with this nut case.

November 4, 2011 02:01 pm at 2:01 pm |
  17. westward

Bull.

When will this crazy lady go away?

November 4, 2011 02:01 pm at 2:01 pm |
  18. willard

I would warning for presdient obama that I want talk interiew
    With cnn also I should charge against afrcian american that afrcain amercian are keep crime with fasle check scam
    I mean kick out ass of afrcian amercian

November 4, 2011 02:02 pm at 2:02 pm |
  19. Jake

i was just praying this morning for Bachmann bounce!!

November 4, 2011 02:02 pm at 2:02 pm |
  20. Charlie from the North

When I was growing up my teacher said "anyone can become President" the GOP seems to be trying to prove her right. ( remember when the clowns were only at the Circus and kid's birthday parties.

November 4, 2011 02:02 pm at 2:02 pm |
  21. margie stephens

i heard palin is now advising the OWS crowd about who to be mad at–like we give her any credance or need her opinion–but than she is one of those who tell people which god they should worship so she must know best–NOT!!!!

November 4, 2011 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |
  22. Orchid333

I know how to create MILLIONS of jobs!! (But I'm not going to tell you how unless you elect me President.)

Oh yes, can't risk helping the "evil" Obama with job creation, because he might get credit for it and win another election. These Republican candidates really make me ill.

November 4, 2011 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |
  23. John

Thanks to Obamacare, I was able to finally get health insurance for my wife and she received medical treatment that probalby saved her life. She works for an employer that doesn't offer health benefits because it would bite into her profits and she had a pre-existing condition that had previously kept her off of my insurance. Bachman doesn't know what she is talking about.

November 4, 2011 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  24. Rev Mkell,

Yes that's always possible! But in what country? We didn't raise taxes on the rich to create more job! What we got was more jobs in other countries and (shock of shocks) the rich got richer! China said thanks!

November 4, 2011 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  25. Charlie from the North

Dear "Democrat Party – leftist "progressive" socialist communist losers hellbent on destroying the USA"

Really thats your name? I want to see the birth certificate.

It's the GOP ruled Supreme Court declaring corporations to be citizens that is messing up this nation. I won't believe corporations are people until I hear that Texas has executed one.

November 4, 2011 02:07 pm at 2:07 pm |