Cain campaign considers lawsuit
November 4th, 2011
11:50 AM ET
2 years ago

Cain campaign considers lawsuit

Washington (CNN) - Herman Cain's presidential campaign said it is considering filing a lawsuit against the news organization Politico, which first reported that two women who worked with him at the National Restaurant Association alleged he sexually harassed them while he headed the group.

"It is being discussed," campaign spokesman J.D. Gordon told CNN Friday. He would not discuss any details on the basis for the possible lawsuit or when a decision might be made.

Political Notebook: Listen as CNN’s Candy Crowley and Bob Costantini look at the broad picture of the ongoing Herman Cain controversy. Plus, who might and might not want to be seen with President Obama in 2012.

Cain and his campaign aides have been very critical of Politico's reporting citing the use of anonymous sources and a lack of some details about some of the claims. Cain has vehemently denied committing sexual harassment and said he recalls one settlement with a female employee as part of an employment termination agreement.

Politico stands by its reporting, saying it was extensively reviewed and it is comfortable with what it has published. "We have heard nothing from the Cain campaign. We stand comfortably behind every Politico reporters have written on the topic," executive editor Jim VandeHei said in a statement.

Separately, the Cain campaign said it did not cancel a TV interview with Mr. Cain and his wife, Gloria, on the Fox News Channel. Spokesman Gordon tells CNN there were discussions about doing an interview Friday, but it was never finalized.

Asked whether the couple will do a joint interview in the near future Gordon says: "When we have something to announce we will."

Mrs. Cain has not been seen frequently on the campaign trail. Cain earlier this week said that was because she helps keep the family calm and tranquil and that it was not her "style" to join him at every campaign stop.

On Thursday, when asked about his wife, Cain told the Sean Hannity radio show: "She is feeling for me more so. She knows it is baseless." He said the controversy is "having a toll on her."

–You can follow Kevin Bohn on Twitter @KevinBohnCNN.

Also see:

Pro-Cain group attacks media over controversy

Perry: Our campaign didn't have anything to do with it

Lawyer for Cain accuser hopes to release statement Friday


Filed under: 2012 • Herman Cain
soundoff (82 Responses)
  1. Steph

    It's all a big side show so we don't pay attention to the fact that his campaign manager (yes, Smoky McSmokerson) was banned from political activity for three years in Wisconsin and he bankrolled Cain's campaign with illegal cash from anonymous sources (Koch, cough, excuse me).

    November 4, 2011 01:25 pm at 1:25 pm |
  2. lloyd roberts

    I thought you rough, tough, tort reform Republicans don't sue. This is the third rough, tough tort reform blowhard that wants to sue, Palin, Christine O Donnell, now Herman Cain. Oh, I forgot. The judicial is only for successful people. A poor single mother who lost her job because she was discriminated against, she should man-up and take. School of hard knocks and all that Perry, Cain, Bachmann, Santorum, Gingrich nonsense. Want to see the most prolific plaintiff in America. Google Jack Thompson, conservative from Florida and see how many lawsuits he filed in the State of Florida prompting the Florida Supreme Court to label him a habitual plaintiff. Hypocrisy again

    November 4, 2011 01:25 pm at 1:25 pm |
  3. Annie, Atlanta

    Suing someone for exposing you as the lowlife that you are? That's rich. What next, women should know their place?

    November 4, 2011 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  4. exhausted

    Maybe he should move to Uzbeki-beki-beki-beki Stan-stan to avoid all the negative publicity!

    November 4, 2011 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  5. Pauletteb

    Waffle, waffle; backpedal, backpedal. Let's get rid of this loser and concentrate on a real candidate!

    November 4, 2011 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  6. Sniffit

    "Bring the lawsuit against the Politico and the reporter, put the reporter in jail until he releases the name of the anonymous source"

    Yes, because this is 1920's Italy. Just promise me this all gets to end with people being executed and hung upside down in the town square.

    November 4, 2011 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  7. Sniffit

    "Maybe he should move to Uzbeki-beki-beki-beki Stan-stan to avoid all the negative publicity!"

    I'm still waiting for someone like LIttle John to auto-harp that to dance music.

    November 4, 2011 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |
1 2 3 4