Karen Kraushaar calls Herman Cain 'a serial denier'
November 8th, 2011

Karen Kraushaar calls Herman Cain 'a serial denier'

Washington (CNN) - Karen Kraushaar, who went public earlier Tuesday confirming she was one of the women who previously filed a sexual harassment claim against Herman Cain, told CNN she is considering releasing the details of her allegations against Cain.

"I have kept all of the copies of my allegations," she said. "So I believe that could happen."

In her first interview since Cain's Tuesday news conference - in which he vehemently denied ever sexually harassing anyone - Kraushaar refused to comment specifically on Cain's defense. But she did say that if the female accusers get together to air their charges publicly, she expected he would still deny them.

"He's a serial denier," she said. "He will deny if it is four or 40 women."

Even so, Kraushaar told CNN she would like to organize a joint press conference some time in the near future with some of the other women who have alleged sexual harassment against Cain.

"There is safety in numbers," she said. "It is important that it happen in one conference."

Kraushaar's attorney, Joel Bennett, told CNN that Gloria Allred and her client, Sharon Bialek, have agreed to participate.

Kraushaar added that "it's so uncomfortable for people to say what happened" - as Bialek did earlier this week with her public allegations - that "with the redaction of certain names," documents might be the least painful way for the women to tell their stories.

Saying it's "no longer a private matter" she called the alleged sexual harassment by Cain "a personally embarrassing matter."

She made the case that, as a civil servant now working for the Treasury Department, she is a "federal career employee and I can't enter into electioneering." But, she added, 'sexual harassment is not a Democratic problem or a Republican problem. It's an American problem."

Kraushaar told CNN she entered into a $46,000 sexual harassment settlement with the National Restaurant Association in 1999 and said she was aware of the other settlement the association previously reached with a different employee.

"I lived by the strictures of the confidentiality agreement for 12 years," she told CNN. But when approached by Politico, she felt like she couldn't deny the story. The site "had two names," she said. "At that point, if I deny, I'm lying."

Kraushaar knows something about the media. She currently serves as the spokesman for a bureau within the Treasury Department.

She also indicated that Cain's story about her - in which he says that he gesturing that her she is the same height as his wife - has nothing to do with her harassment allegations

"A comment like that is so innocuous it wasn't even a part of my complaint," she said, allowing that it sounds "vaguely familiar." Without disclosing details, she said that there was "an incident in my office that was part of my complaint" that was the "inappropriate behavior."

Trying to pre-empt criticism, she also confirmed that she had filed one complaint while working at another federal agency about not being able to telecommute after a car accident while a colleague was able to do so - and she felt it was unfair. She says she was always an employee in good standing.

–CNN Senior Producer Kevin Bohn contributed to this story.

Filed under: 2012 • Herman Cain
  1. Derek

This women is credible. Cain is toast.

November 9, 2011 06:23 am at 6:23 am |
  2. Jerry

If it smells phony/suspect; it probably IS! And with Democrat butt kissing Ms. Gloria's involvement, oh well...

Just saying!

November 9, 2011 06:39 am at 6:39 am |
  3. Jim

Amazing how this woman has multiple workplace related problems with employers and sues, and doesn't win. She is a serial liar and serial accuser.

November 9, 2011 06:48 am at 6:48 am |
  4. Sue

When is Mr. Cain going to get a grip and comprehend that most people see his arrogance and outrage for what it is – a total and outright sham! While there have been cases of dalliances and sexual harassment by politicians in the past, it has now seemed to reach epidemic proportions. In fact, the entire "motley crew" of republicans that are vying to be the candidate of choice for the republican party are the most flawed slate I've seen in years. I have always tried to be open about politics and respect other's political views. However, I am pretty certain, after watching what has transpired in the republican party in the past few years, I could never vote for a member of that party again.

November 9, 2011 06:48 am at 6:48 am |
  5. rickirs

Seems Cain learned nothing about sexual harrassment. Other than deny. He needs to show some empathy or he will fail in his election bid.

November 9, 2011 06:49 am at 6:49 am |
  6. LegendRx

Have at Mr. "EXCUSE-ME, EXCUSED-ME" "Oh, what a tangled web" (as I eat my popcorn in anticipation of what could be a very entertaining Cain series.

November 9, 2011 06:56 am at 6:56 am |
  7. SlowGun

Blame it on Cain

November 9, 2011 07:08 am at 7:08 am |
  8. hmmm....

Interesting side story about this woman and making similar claims at her next job as well. Who is the serial what? Nothing like muddying the water for those who truly have worthy complaints.

November 9, 2011 07:10 am at 7:10 am |
  9. Indy

This is another very brave person and her character is 100 times above Herman Cain the liar. If you believe that the NRA paid out $46000.00 because Cain was innocent you really are clueless, and Cain has asked for everything he has coming because his lies cant keep up with the truth, and to think it was the Republican machine that cant stand black men with power that leaked this out !

November 9, 2011 07:15 am at 7:15 am |
  10. FM

I am repeating myself. I am not Mr. 999 fan but I find these people who are coming against Cain are doing it in a pressure from nowhere or somewhere rather.
    If these people could come the very day or the next day after Cain announced his bid for presidency, I could understood them. But coming now, when Cain has shown he can pull behind other contenders, makes myself cling. This kind of human nature, at this modern times, has a very narrow chance going through!

November 9, 2011 07:15 am at 7:15 am |
  11. SciGuy

She's a career federal worker; in other words a tax feeder her entire life, on the dole. She should be dismissed out of hand.

November 9, 2011 07:19 am at 7:19 am |
  12. Bill in Jacksonville, Florida

You cannot dismiss this woman so easily. She has documented everything, and that is going to be very hard to overcome. She has her act together personally and professionally. Her ethics are above reproach. She is not lying.

November 9, 2011 07:23 am at 7:23 am |
  13. S.B. Stein E.B. NJ

She is correct in stating that sexual harrassment is not a partisan issue. It affects all Americans and should not be just casually disregarded. It is someone trying to get something from someone else without concent.

November 9, 2011 07:28 am at 7:28 am |
  14. RickD

LOL

Cain is burnt toast!

The tee party is double burnt toast!

November 9, 2011 07:30 am at 7:30 am |
  15. atlantapug

I see no mention on CNN of the fact she tried to extort $$$ out of her next employer also. And no mention that her family member works for Politico. hmmmmmmmmmmm. Nope, no bias in THIS media.

November 9, 2011 07:41 am at 7:41 am |
  16. detada

Apparently, these sexual harassment charges are the result of a conspiracy that has been in the making for the past 12 years.

November 9, 2011 07:48 am at 7:48 am |
  17. SisterAct

How come I don't believe these women? How come they all seem to want to be in the spotlight and get all dressed up for the cameras? Funny, they look like sisters? I'm sure the other two will be coming out soon for their time in the spotlight. Will these women be treated and called a liar and put on the hot spot like Anita? Degraded and devalued, I think not. Funny how all this is coming out as Mr. Cain begins to take over the polls. I don't like and have never liked dirty politics. I'm very disappointed in the way Mr. Cain is being treated. Not only do I not believe either woman, I now definitely think its coming from his competitors. If this information is true, it would have been brought out at the beginning, not conveniently when Mr. Cain is now rising in the polls. Shame on his competitors and the media for giving these women a forum to present this nonsense. I'm still liking Mr. Cain and think he's the best candidate for the GOP. Romney is weak, Perry is useless and Gingrich is not worth even considering. It's a shame because the best candidate, the one who could give Obama a run for his money, is now being maligned and lied on.

November 9, 2011 07:53 am at 7:53 am |
  18. San

This lady has some courage seeing as how they are tearing up Sharon Bialek. I am in her corner.

November 9, 2011 07:53 am at 7:53 am |
  19. ReallY!!?

Time for these women to prove or shut up. Why wait until now? She works for the Obama Admin. Her son works for Politico. So this all seems suspicious to me. The fact is that Cain was not involved in any settlement. She was given a severance pkg by the Nat. Rest. Assoc. not Cain. That is a big difference. The investigations by the NRA showed her accusations were baseless. So now I want proof. Look at the stark difference between how the media handle the Clinton sexual harrassment scandals with numerous women and how they r handling it now with Cain. In Clinton cases the women were all dismissed b/c they had no proof. CNN is now the Cain News Network – cannot get enough of this and refuse to go after any proof.

If Cain must submitt to a lie detector test then he should do so only after all these women have been subjected to the same. Afterall they are the ones bringing the charges.

November 9, 2011 08:01 am at 8:01 am |
  20. Sam

Just be careful Karen! You never know what type of animal Cain is and what level he would stopp to! The only good thing, if something happens to you, the first place the cops would look is at Cain, but I hope that doesn't come to that!

November 9, 2011 08:03 am at 8:03 am |
  21. ReallY!!?

If Cain must do a lie detector then only after the women bring theses charges have subjected themselves to a lie detector test as well.
    How convenient that they are coming out now over a decade after the fact.
    Shame on u CNN for not doing your job and citing sources like friend of an anonymous source? Really? Is that legitimate, thorough new reporting. Or are u and the DEMS so afraid of a conservative black man that obvously strayed off your plantation?!!!!

November 9, 2011 08:04 am at 8:04 am |
  22. 1crusader

Ms.Kraushaar has reluctantly come out .I hope that all of the other women will come, especially the woman who also got a settlement agreement.I know it's difficult, but it would be helpful in this case, and would be encouraging to other women who are harassed in speaking up.

November 9, 2011 08:07 am at 8:07 am |
  23. GOP = Greed Over People

I think the phrase you were looking for is "serial liar" with all these "recollections" he keeps coming up with.

November 9, 2011 08:07 am at 8:07 am |
  24. Cain-in-comatose

I think she is very credible and Cain will have a hard time looking into our eyes and lie again. It is time for him to reflect on his past and quit the race. He has to understand that public office is not for people with skeletons in there closet.

November 9, 2011 08:23 am at 8:23 am |
  25. Tex71

Oh, what a tangled web Cain weaves
    But he's the only one deceived.

November 9, 2011 08:31 am at 8:31 am |