Perry addresses values in new ad
November 9th, 2011

Perry addresses values in new ad

(CNN) - Republican presidential candidate Rick Perry released his third television ad of the GOP primary cycle on Wednesday, billed as a testament to his character.

The Texas governor uses the 30-second spot, which will start airing on Wednesday in Iowa, to tell his personal story.

"As the son of tenant farmers from the West Texas town of Paint Creek, I learned the values of hard work, faith and family," Perry says into the camera. "I took those values with me when I served our country as a pilot in the Air Force. I returned home to farm and ranch with my father and married my high school sweetheart."

"The values I learned served me well as governor of Texas, and will continue to guide me as president," he concludes.

Perry's first two ads in the first-in-the-nation caucus state focused on his jobs record in the Lone Star State, but the new spot pivots the conversation to values.

After a late entry into the 2012 race, Perry vaulted to the top of national and state-wide polls, but has seen his figures fall recently. He was tied for fifth in a recent Des Moines Register poll with 7% support of likely Iowa Republican caucus-goers.

In a statement, Perry's communications director Ray Sullivan emphasized the influence of Perry's rural background that "helped mold the values and principles that have guided his leadership over the course of two decades as a public servant."

Filed under: 2012 • Ads • Rick Perry
  1. Sniffit

Cowboy Fonzie will be riding off intot he sunset soon enough. Yawn. One would think mentioning his ranch and calling to mind its horrifying name would be a bad idea...unless of course that's something yuo expect your target audience to actually like.

November 9, 2011 11:56 am at 11:56 am |
  2. thomas

Rick Perry will lead Gods Army .

We will not only Free Mexico , we will take back the Panama Canal !

Perry / Enron
    2012

November 9, 2011 11:59 am at 11:59 am |
  3. Bill

I actually hope he gets the nomination. Then, it wil that much easier for Obama to win in 2012. We know Mittens will not make the grade.

November 9, 2011 12:08 pm at 12:08 pm |
  4. FM

Oh! I think we start crawling before running! This ad should had come long time ago even before introducing who Perry is. Nevertheless, let us see how many will buy this!!

November 9, 2011 12:11 pm at 12:11 pm |
  5. MTATL67

"The values I learned served me well as governor of Texas" Have those values have not helped to lower the $27B debt in Texas. This ads have the opposite effect on me than they attend. All I can think is "Oh, my Lord. No one is that good least of all a politician.”

November 9, 2011 12:14 pm at 12:14 pm |
  6. Laverne

when I look at Perry I see an out of touch cowboy who would be the cheerleader to help set this country back 50 years! Don't know what Texas will do, the the rest of the American people will reject him!

November 9, 2011 12:25 pm at 12:25 pm |
  7. Al-NY,NY

why do these GOPers insist on always stressing "faith"? I guess they know the sheep are so guillible as to take that as meaning they're a good person. NOT!!!! The minute I see or hear them start up with religion as a primary (or the main) force in their campaign, it's so long Charlie. If they want a theocracy, they should move to Iran or Saudi Arabia

November 9, 2011 12:32 pm at 12:32 pm |
  8. Donkey Party

Did Perry ponder his "values" while relaxing at his family-owned lodge? What was that place called again?

November 9, 2011 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm |
  9. justin

Why doesnt he tell us that the answer to our problems is to pray, dance with snakes, speak in tongues & defeat Obama at any cost? Perry is a nut case who thinks it's gods will that he is president. No thanks. Obama 2012

November 9, 2011 12:35 pm at 12:35 pm |
  10. Rudy NYC

I have faith that Gov. Perry is not winning the GOTP nomination.

November 9, 2011 12:42 pm at 12:42 pm |
  11. Enough is Enough

Subsidizing illegals with taxpayer money is not a value you can justify Rick.

November 9, 2011 01:00 pm at 1:00 pm |
  12. chuck weidemann

Generic add that anyone can say. Perry missed his calling. Be a preacher.

November 9, 2011 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |
  13. Jake

discrimination is not "values"

November 9, 2011 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |
  14. gg

don,t worry we will keep that cheap labour coming

November 9, 2011 01:04 pm at 1:04 pm |
  15. Lee

I thought Perry wanted to secede from the Union, not lead it..... type "Perry Secede Texas" in a search engine of your choice and read what his plans for Texas are.

November 9, 2011 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |