Where GOP candidates stand on Cain controversy
November 9th, 2011

Where GOP candidates stand on Cain controversy

(CNN) – The 2012 Republican presidential contenders will debate Wednesday night with accusations of sexual harassment against Herman Cain lurking as the elephant in the room.

While details of the allegations unraveled over the last 10 days, the GOP candidates remained largely mum. But during a series of interviews conducted by ABC and Yahoo News on Tuesday, most of the candidates were asked, sometimes repeatedly, to weigh into the controversy.

Here's where they stand on Cain's troubles:

Former Utah Gov. Jon Huntsman:
"It's a distraction and Herman Cain can deal with it however Herman Cain chooses to deal with it."

"Far be it for me to give Herman Cain any advice ... He'll have to address these issues as he will. As for me, I just want to focus on the issues that really matter to the American people."

Rep. Michele Bachmann of Minnesota: "I don't have any information on these allegations whatsoever. I have absolutely nothing to contribute to that discussion."

Texas Gov. Rick Perry: "I think trying to make theoretical calls about issues that are dogging a particular campaign is not of great interest to me."

Former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney: "These are serious allegations, George. And they're going to have to be addressed seriously. I don't have any counsel for Herman Cain, for his campaign. They'll have to take their own counsel on this, but anytime there's an accuser that comes forward with charges of this nature, you recognize this is a very serious matter and it should be taken seriously."

Former Sen. Rick Santorum of Pennsylvania:
"Obviously they're, they are very troubling. But these are things ... they're allegations. Herman has his opportunity to tell his side of the story and the American public can make a decision. I've already made my decision. I'm for Rick Santorum and that's where I am."

Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich: "Clearly Herman Cain has to answer the charges. He has to explain what happened, he has to do so in a way that's convincing. And I think that's unavoidable. And I think that he both owes her that, but he also owes the American people that, and I think, I hope he can do it well. He's a good friend, and I hope that he has an answer that satisfies people, but he has to have an answer and it had better be accurate because if it's not accurate, it won't survive 24 hours."

Texas Rep. Ron Paul (on "Fox News Sunday," before two additional women came forward): "I think the media blew this way out of proportion … I think there are a thousand stories out on there, and I think that dilutes the real debates."

Filed under: 2012 • Herman Cain
  1. badmoonrising

Great answer Ron Paul.

November 9, 2011 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  2. sammieb51

Now maybe we'll see a backbone emerge if just one of tonight's candidates stands up and says "I don't care where this infomration came from Mr. Cain - your finger pointing is useless and yuo have done nothing to debunk any of the charges leveled against you. The American people demand a credible, honorable candidate and your finger pointing and discrediting of the accusers before all the facts aer even out there, is neither honorable or credible." None of them will though ... it will probably turn into a blame the big bad press smear job.

November 9, 2011 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  3. Frank

Cain. Cain. Cain. Cain.
    Hey CNN – Any other news this week?

November 9, 2011 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  4. Tao

Newt” but he also owes the American people”. Have you ever explained why you cheating on your wife while LEADING the witch hunt against Bill Clinton for his affair with Lewinsky?

November 9, 2011 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |
  5. rdarkchild

Ron Paul what a loser!

November 9, 2011 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  6. Anonymous

Hey GOP "cain" you give us a better candidate ?

November 9, 2011 01:59 pm at 1:59 pm |
  7. ThinkAgain

Gingrich on Cain: "He has to explain what happened, he has to do so in a way that's convincing."
    "I hope that he has an answer that satisfies people ..."

Yo, Newtsie, how about counseling Cain to TELL THE TRUTH and face the consequences like a man?

Oh, right, you're the guy who went after President Clinton for marital infidelity WHILE YOU WERE CHEATING ON YOUR WIFE!

November 9, 2011 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  8. shoegazer

Now,in the picture,is Mitt chastising something Herman has said? Or is he just asking him to pull his finger?

November 9, 2011 02:05 pm at 2:05 pm |
  9. ThinkAgain

Here are the questions I'd like all these candidates to answer:

1. Do you believe, like Romney, that "corporations are people, my friend"?
    2. If so, what gender is Bain Capital, the company Romney co-founded?

Follow-up with Romney and Huntsman:

1. As Mormons who believe in Baptism of the Dead, can corporations (since they are people) be baptized into the Mormon Church after they've died.
    2. Please explain how this can happen, since corporations can't die.
    3. Please explain how something that cannot die is a person.

November 9, 2011 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |
  10. NVa Native

Ok Ginger-itch you're up next – I'm sure he doesn't have any skeletons in his closet.
    This will be great!

November 9, 2011 02:09 pm at 2:09 pm |
  11. phil

So my question is does his stance on not answering the allegations foreshadow his politics to come? Journalist: "Mr President Cain, can you tell us why you decided to bomb Cuba unprovoked"? Mr.Cain: "I will not be answering those questions. Period. Move on". Sounds like a true world leader to me.

November 9, 2011 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |
  12. Jose Wan Sekiavich

These guys aren't going to say too much – after all they don't want people poking around in their own trousers!

November 9, 2011 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |
  13. Lillie

The 2012 Republican candidates are a REALITY SHOW!!!! IThe world is laughing at this mess!! Like it or not, President Obama is doing the best job he can while trying to work with a bunch of folk that have no intention of ever working with ihim!!
    More importantly, Pres. Obama is brilliant (with or without the teleprompter!!! And no matter where he travels , our beautiful country is always represented well! !

OBAMA/BIDEN 2012

November 9, 2011 02:16 pm at 2:16 pm |
  14. Al-NY,NY

Although he makes my skin crawl, being such a slimy hypocrite...the Newter gave the best answer. Cain has to get this behind him now. No matter what he does, he will not the nominee since he has repeatedly shown he can't handle tough situations. As for nutty Michelle, if you took your head out of "it" you would have information to comment on.

November 9, 2011 02:24 pm at 2:24 pm |
  15. FM

I am a typical Dem and will never attack Cain on this. I do not think his fellow contenders would attack him as the whole story is totally a mediocre event without any concrete supporting evidence.

November 9, 2011 02:25 pm at 2:25 pm |