Cain apologizes - kind of - for 'Princess Nancy'
November 10th, 2011

Cain apologizes - kind of - for 'Princess Nancy'

(CNN) – Herman Cain said Thursday he apologized for calling Nancy Pelosi "Princess Nancy" in the most recent Republican presidential debate to fend off further questions from reporters.

"I apologize for calling her 'Princess Pelosi,' if that's the biggest story you all have, OK?" Cain told reporters after addressing supporters at a diner in Ypsilanti, Michigan.

When asked why he apologized, the former pizza executive said, "So you all will stop asking me about it, OK?"

Cain made the comment in response to a health care question at Wednesday night's debate hosted by CNBC, during which he blamed Democrats in Congress for blocking a Republican health care plan.

"Princess Nancy sent it to committee and it stayed there," Cain said, referencing a bill sponsored by Georgia Rep. Tom Price that was allegedly shelved when Pelosi was speaker of the House.

Cain also apologized for the using the nickname, which he and conservative talk show host Sean Hannity have uttered on different occasions, during a post-debate interview on CNBC.

"That was a statement that I probably shouldn't have made, but I was trying to make a point," he said on CNBC.

At Thursday's campaign stop, Cain attempted to put the onus on Pelosi, recalling a 2009 moment when the California Democrat referred to members of the tea party movement as "Astroturf."

Also see:

Perry's forget me-not-fundraising

Poll: Tight races between Obama and Romney in three swing states

Five things we learned from Wednesday's GOP debate

Christie advises Romney: 'Be yourself'

Filed under: 2012 • Herman Cain • Nancy Pelosi
  1. EatRunDive

Nothing like admitting that your apologies are insincere.

And that being the case, can anything he says be believed?

November 10, 2011 01:04 pm at 1:04 pm |
  2. westward

Too late – cat's out of the bag. I kept thinking to myself during the debate last night how demeaning both Cain's and Newt's remarks were to the women panelists, and to women in general. Women truly pick up on these things....and they make up over half of registered voters. Idi0tic move on both their behalfs.

November 10, 2011 01:05 pm at 1:05 pm |
  3. Rudy NYC

Now you know can see I sometimes refer to him as "Demon" Cain. The man has a terrible temper.

November 10, 2011 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  4. Kwesoe

This man has a major problem with women; he is disrespectful to all women regardless of who they are. And the sad thing is that he is in denial about it. I wonder what it is to be his wife or daughter?

November 10, 2011 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  5. Lolo

This is how it went with Cain and the women. He figured that since he has the cash and clout in the corporate world he can do anything he wants to anybody, just like his other buddies and get away with it. He looks like a creep and I for one believe that something happened. We never saw his wife until this story came out. She did not care so long as he brought home the bacon. She is still not by his side now. You so call republican Christians are really nothing but hypocrits. Everytime someone in your party does the unchristian things you cover up for them (Remember the Appalachian Trail Hiker) you backed this fool all the way. Herman Cain is slick as oil. Also use your brains, two of these women were paid off, so there is some truth somewhere.

November 10, 2011 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |
  6. nospine

The fact that he does not know the difference speaks volumns.

November 10, 2011 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  7. Woman In California

When I woke up this morning and saw that clip – it just reaffirmed what I already thought of him – and that is – he is an ugly loud mouth, woman abuser. Sure he keeps a mousy wife for show but he is one angry black man and he took his anger out on Nancy Pelosi (a woman) last night. There was just no reason in the world to throw that line in there with that question. Make no mistake people this is exactly the way he talks to women in the workplace. I hope these women get to tell us what the REAL Herman Cain is like. Once the American people hear it – I think they are going to stay far away from him and his 9-9-9 Plan which is 9 women x 9 at night x 9 blondes.

November 10, 2011 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  8. The Real Tom Paine

Reeeeal classy there, Mr. Cain. You are essentially saying that " she started it, so I'm going to say something back to her": are you running to be POTUS, or the head of the Student Council? Every time you open your mouth, you dig yourself in deeper. Do yourself a favor, and mime.

November 10, 2011 01:12 pm at 1:12 pm |
  9. Wire Palladin, S. F.

Will some right wingnut tell Herb that women are people too?

November 10, 2011 01:12 pm at 1:12 pm |
  10. Paul

Arrogant

Cain, by nature is a very arrogant man. On this basis, he will lose the republican nomination. We didn't think Gingrich's match could be found among republicans, but now Cain is competing with Gingrich for the title of 'the most arrogant' candidate in the republican field. Gingrich seems to be the run away winner, until Cain comes along!

November 10, 2011 01:13 pm at 1:13 pm |
  11. Paul

The republican have no concern whatsoever for minorities like. women, blacks, Hispanics, Latinos, Arabs etc.

November 10, 2011 01:15 pm at 1:15 pm |
  12. Emmy Skaddittle

I don't understand how the so called tea party can support Cain, who was a WASHINGTON LOBBYIST! I thought the teaparty was created to get rid of washington insiders.

November 10, 2011 01:16 pm at 1:16 pm |
  13. Lee

Maybe because Speaker Pelosi was not under the spotlight in how she treats people? I have been a supporter of Herman Cain, but the more I see and hear how he talks down to people, the more I am starting to believe that he is capable of the accusations against him.

November 10, 2011 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  14. Joey

Pelosi as "Princess." OK. Then the Teapbublicans represent the Prince of Darkness.

November 10, 2011 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  15. Sniffit

It was brilliant...really. After a week and half of being hounded with accusations of sexual harrassment, he comes out during a nationally televised debate with a blatantly sexist and demeaning epithet for the previous Speaker of the House, first woman to ever hold the position. That kind campaign strategery deserves a special place in th poli-sci textbooks.

November 10, 2011 01:30 pm at 1:30 pm |
  16. gettaouttahere

So tired of this clown-I for the life of me cant understand the appeal for those that support him. The mere fact that he knows nothing about the world around him (china nuclear weapons or european economic matters) screams that he could never handle the job as president. Couple that with his rude,defensive, arrogant demeanor and it just doesn't make sense. And its not just about these allegations-he shows this time and time again when he is questioned about something he doent like. I wish he would just take his walnut head and sit it down somewhere. Ughhhhh.....

November 10, 2011 01:30 pm at 1:30 pm |
  17. informed voter

Cain's arrogance does not disqualify him to run for president. But his ignorance of how government works, and whom government serves (the people, not the corporations) does disqualify him from seeking the highest office in our great nation. The current crop of republican candidates are an embarrassment to all intelligent Americans. The only choice is President Obama in 2012!

November 10, 2011 01:31 pm at 1:31 pm |
  18. Sniffit

""I remember when Speaker Pelosi called me and the tea party people 'Astroturf,'" Cain said. "I don't remember anybody asking about that story.""

Someone explain to Cain that the reason nobody in the MSM asked or dug into it was because they didn't want and were afraid to find it proven as true as everyone pretty much knows it is. Undermining the Teatrolls by exposing their true roots and the sources of their funding and the "astroturfing" techniques they held seminars (paid for by said financial sources) to teach their activist recruits...that would have been akin to destroying ad revenue. Why would the MSM investigate and report on such a thing when it would destroy the best source of sensationalizable controversy and material for bobbleheaded monkey punditry that the MSM has happened upon in ages? No no, Hermy...you shoudl be THANKING the MSM for not asking those questions. Get to it.

November 10, 2011 01:34 pm at 1:34 pm |
  19. kmp

No one was asking about that story because she isn't being accused of Sexual Harrassment by 4 different individuals. Additionally, when you think of what Astroturf is fake grass she is correct, many of the so call Tea Party people are fake. In reality her comment is a non-story, but you sir seem to not understand the reality of your actions. Get with it.

November 10, 2011 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |
  20. Rudy NYC

I wonder if Cain these women are examples of what Cain had in mind when he declared it is your own stupic fault if you are broke, or unemployed and out of a job.

November 10, 2011 01:46 pm at 1:46 pm |
  21. 1CentFree

I only have one question for Herman Cain... Where is your pimp hat?

November 10, 2011 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  22. george of the jungle

If he talks to people the way he has been I am surprised more people both male and female have not brought him up on some form of harassment charges. He is a rude smart mouth and not a people person. Too bad the dumb repos think this is being a maveric and independent. Bad manners are not good for politics or daily life. You guys sure can pick um.

November 10, 2011 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  23. The Greedy Old Pigs have lost their minds!

It's quite bizarre that Mr. KochCain believes there is some sort of similarity or comparison between calling a powerful woman "princess" and referring to the roots of a political movement as "astroturf". The first is a derogatory statement meant to diminish the target and the other is simply a well-known and accepted terms to describe the faking of allegedly populist movements.

November 10, 2011 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |
  24. Rudy NYC

Which of the Republican candidates would be likely to meet with another world leader(s) and cause in international incident, or heaven forbid, start a shooting war due to some politically incorrect statement? Seems like almost all of them, doesn't it?

November 10, 2011 01:59 pm at 1:59 pm |
  25. Lillie

Can is selling books and raising his speaking fees higher!! ! How in the world can so many people not see this? And his respect for women is real SCARY!!!!!!!!!

November 10, 2011 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |