Chelsea Clinton to hit the tube
November 14th, 2011

Chelsea Clinton to hit the tube

(CNN) - And Chelsea Clinton makes three - three first children taking their famous last names to NBC News.

Clinton joined the Peacock network Monday as a special correspondent who will appear on "NBC Nightly News" and "Rock Center with Brian Williams," contributing to the "Making a Difference" series that highlights extraordinary stories from ordinary people, according to the network.

"People who imagine and implement solutions to challenges in their own lives, in their communities, in our country and in our world have always inspired me," Clinton said in a statement. "I hope telling stories through 'Making a Difference' - as in my academic work and non-profit work - will help me to live my grandmother's adage of "Life is not about what happens to you, but about what you do with what happens to you."

The famously private daughter of former Democratic President Bill Clinton and Secretary of State Hillary Clinton will continue her work at the Clinton Foundation and her doctoral studies at NYU along with her new venture.

She previously worked at a hedge fund and hit the campaign trail in 2008 on behalf of her mother's presidential bid.

Jenna Bush Hager, daughter of former President George W. Bush, reports for NBC's "The Today Show" and Ron Reagan, the late President Ronald Reagan's son, is an analyst on MSNBC. Meghan McCain, daughter former Republican presidential nominee John McCain, is also a contributor on MSNBC.

Filed under: Chelsea Clinton
  1. Phil in KC

November 14, 2011 09:24 am at 9:24 am |
  2. Larry L

She seems to be a really nice person. Still, the mindless, hateful comments from the right-wing will surely follow.

November 14, 2011 09:28 am at 9:28 am |
  3. bonnie lee

She is a wonderful,intelligent young person . How can she miss with her highly intelligent paents. Could she be our future first female President ??

November 14, 2011 09:51 am at 9:51 am |
  4. Chelopez54

I am happy for Chelsea, I hope she can help keep Casey Anthony and anything about her OFF NBC! Not to take away from you kiddo, I always thought you were a good child and I am happy you are happy and doing so well.
    kuddos to the Clintons! Maybe Dad can run again with Mom as Vp- Very Cool!

November 14, 2011 09:53 am at 9:53 am |
  5. Chelopez54

PS. or visa versa- Mom as President and Dad as VP!

November 14, 2011 09:54 am at 9:54 am |
  6. barbara451

oh give me a break, please. The American Dream has turned into a birth right. If you have the right parents you can become anything. they make me sick.

November 14, 2011 09:59 am at 9:59 am |
  7. stevie

Oh please. We have seen enough of ALL the Clintons.

November 14, 2011 10:05 am at 10:05 am |
  8. LLOYD ROBERTS

I think that's mostly true barbara451. However, regardless of her pedigree, she remains private and below controversy. Very unlike the Bush Sr's spoiled children who had everything handed to them and were reckless and careless about those less fortunate. I think George W. Bush is more apt to your characterization than Chelsea Clinton

November 14, 2011 10:05 am at 10:05 am |
  9. Jasie

More biased reporters. great.

November 14, 2011 10:12 am at 10:12 am |
  10. Wes B.

Another smart, compassionate, educated Democrat. Of course the Repubs will hate her.

November 14, 2011 10:16 am at 10:16 am |
  11. Niki

barbara451, Lloyd.. I pretty much agree with the both of you. 'Social Mobility' in the US is much lower than in Canada or Europe. Now, why do we think that is?

November 14, 2011 10:20 am at 10:20 am |
  12. AlaskaPalin

Moms doing a great job. The american people thank you. Do not fail us on iran. It must not be allowed to get nukes. We know you are hawkish on iran and will stand strong against all appeaser. We have your back.

November 14, 2011 10:27 am at 10:27 am |
  13. Randy, San Francisco

WOW! Looking forward to the news stories by Chlesea. Kudos to NBC for recognizing talent.

November 14, 2011 10:28 am at 10:28 am |
  14. Rod C. Venger

Be like watching Yee-Haww!

November 14, 2011 10:28 am at 10:28 am |
  15. jannie

Jenna Bush does fluff pieces and not all that well. I hope Chelsea is allowed to use her talents in a more intelligent way.

November 14, 2011 10:33 am at 10:33 am |
  16. Sophia

As much as I secretly resent her for having been handed opportunities all her life (really when was the last time McKinsey ‘headhunted’ anyone straight out of university), she is one of the handful of truly privileged kids of America that really made something out of their lives that does not involve clothing lines, sex tapes and reality tv shows. I look forward to hearing what she has to say.

November 14, 2011 10:35 am at 10:35 am |
  17. Boo27

Hey Kids, why bother borrowing to earn a journalism degree to enter a workplace making $25k or less – regardless of city – entry level and then work for 10 years only to bring that salary up to maybe $60k when you can just be born into the right families? I like Chelsea but this makes me sick!

November 14, 2011 10:38 am at 10:38 am |
  18. Annie, Atlanta

It's nice to see children of Presidents in such positions. We like to think they grew up normal against all odds. Even Megan McCain, who is a breath of fresh air, and gives me hope for our next generations.

November 14, 2011 10:38 am at 10:38 am |
  19. Kat

Clinton's a pleasant girl, but I can't help feeling for the poor Midwestern kid that scrimped to go to college, majored in broadcast journalism and is almost willing to starve to get a job at a major network who will not be given such a golden opportunity-despite hard work and sacrifice-because it was handed to someone with the right pedigree and last name. That saddens me a bit.

November 14, 2011 10:39 am at 10:39 am |
  20. AlaskaPalin

The children are not politicians perse. So shouldn't we just which them the best.

November 14, 2011 10:40 am at 10:40 am |
  21. Brendywendy

Chelsea is like Caroline Kennedy. Very Intelligent. Keeps a low profile & comes from a very intelligent political family! I think we will someday see her in politics!

November 14, 2011 10:41 am at 10:41 am |
  22. sonny

NBC a perfect match

November 14, 2011 10:44 am at 10:44 am |
  23. PatriciaD

Phil in KC ...."Why not? She is a polished, intelligent, educated young lady. And, while she is no beauty queen, she is not unattractive. Not to mention the fact that she was literally raised in politics."

Phil, what does it matter if she is a beauty queen or not? She is working on her PhD. That is what's important, wouldn't you say?

November 14, 2011 10:46 am at 10:46 am |
  24. DIANA

I will now become a fan of NBC news. I liked them before but I watched sporatically, now I'll be looking forward to hearing items from her. To those who say she's not attractive enough , to me she's a very beautiful and grew into a refined and gracious woman. I agree with and hope that it happens what one post said – that we might be seeing our first female president. Go Chelsea.

November 14, 2011 10:47 am at 10:47 am |
  25. M-AZ Independent - Trowing my hands up already!

Kat, Sophia, & Barbara451,

I totally agree with you. I have always admired Chelsea Clinton's demeanor, and would even go so far as to snarl at the ugly comments made about her during her ackward teenage years; but do any of our 99% kids who work their little summer jobs, sacrafice, and go into debt to pay for college have a chance to see their dreams come true. I am an educator, but I often feel like I am lying to kids when I tell them to work and study hard in school because it will pay off.

Chelsea, if you read this comment, maybe you can stepup and give one of the ordinary hard working kids a hand up...Nonetheless, corgratulations to Ms. Chelsea. Wishing you all the best!

November 14, 2011 10:52 am at 10:52 am |