Chelsea Clinton to hit the tube
November 14th, 2011

Chelsea Clinton to hit the tube

(CNN) - And Chelsea Clinton makes three - three first children taking their famous last names to NBC News.

Clinton joined the Peacock network Monday as a special correspondent who will appear on "NBC Nightly News" and "Rock Center with Brian Williams," contributing to the "Making a Difference" series that highlights extraordinary stories from ordinary people, according to the network.

"People who imagine and implement solutions to challenges in their own lives, in their communities, in our country and in our world have always inspired me," Clinton said in a statement. "I hope telling stories through 'Making a Difference' - as in my academic work and non-profit work - will help me to live my grandmother's adage of "Life is not about what happens to you, but about what you do with what happens to you."

The famously private daughter of former Democratic President Bill Clinton and Secretary of State Hillary Clinton will continue her work at the Clinton Foundation and her doctoral studies at NYU along with her new venture.

She previously worked at a hedge fund and hit the campaign trail in 2008 on behalf of her mother's presidential bid.

Jenna Bush Hager, daughter of former President George W. Bush, reports for NBC's "The Today Show" and Ron Reagan, the late President Ronald Reagan's son, is an analyst on MSNBC. Meghan McCain, daughter former Republican presidential nominee John McCain, is also a contributor on MSNBC.

Filed under: Chelsea Clinton
  1. Howard

In a perfect world, having a famous name wouldn't get you any more attention than if you weren't famous. Alas, we don't live in that perfect world; never have, and never will. As for those complaining, I'd like to ask if they ever went to see a movie simply because of who the star was, or bought a CD because of who the musician was? If you did, then I have another question: Can you spell H-Y-P-O-C-R-I-T-E?

November 14, 2011 10:52 am at 10:52 am |
  2. Brendywendy

Bill & Hillary apparently did something right in their private life. They raised a very intelligent & unspoiled daughter together!! And she is loyal to her parent's by standing along side them both through all the up's & down's! ! Infidelity is a hard thing to overcome,but it can be overcome with time & forgiveness. I admire Hillary for standing by Bill even though I know it was one of the most painful experiences of her life. Very strong woman !

November 14, 2011 10:55 am at 10:55 am |
  3. ThinkAgain

"The American Dream has turned into a birth right. If you have the right parents you can become anything. they make me sick."

At least Chelsey isn't pulling a Paris Hilton with her family connections. I'm happy for Chelsey and look forward to her reporting.

November 14, 2011 10:57 am at 10:57 am |
  4. diridi

Here we from the entire family send our LOVE....

November 14, 2011 11:00 am at 11:00 am |
  5. Bob

I just love how all you left-wing extremists, living life under the guise of being Democrats (which I am), spew all of your hate on blogs by condeming anyone who has a different opinion than yours, and calling them right-wing or Republican. You left-wing extremists make us real, old time Democrats sick, and you need to go form your on party, which I suggest you call the Bowel Movement.

November 14, 2011 11:13 am at 11:13 am |
  6. suzibee

Chelsea for president!!!!!!!!

November 14, 2011 11:13 am at 11:13 am |
  7. proudmemberofglobalzero

From Hedge fund manager to TV personality....good for her.....I hope she spotlights the "Making a Difference" segment and not politics.

November 14, 2011 11:14 am at 11:14 am |
  8. vic , nashville ,tn

Good news so happy we need one more Clinton to fix the nation problems

November 14, 2011 11:26 am at 11:26 am |
  9. Guntown Johnny

It's funny how the kid/teenager who was hidden by her parents and how, even as an adult openly campaigning for her mother, wouldn't answer any questions about anything of substance yet is now going to be a journalist, ask questions, and expect others to give open/honest answers? Does anyone else see the irony here?

November 14, 2011 11:26 am at 11:26 am |
  10. chiku

ordinarily, i would be chiming in with numerous anti-nepotism comments, but not in this case. chelsea is really, really intelligent. this should be interesting.

November 14, 2011 11:26 am at 11:26 am |
  11. John

Wouldn't we all like to have those days back... booming economy, no war, no deficit? Seems like an impossible dream now!

November 14, 2011 11:26 am at 11:26 am |
  12. goodie.

it is not what you know,it is who you know...maybe smart and sharp,but mum n dad had a hand in it somewhere along the line..

November 14, 2011 11:27 am at 11:27 am |
  13. Keith in Austin

What a perfect match! Will Amy Carter be the new Weather Girl and Lucy Baines Johnson doing Sports too?

November 14, 2011 11:28 am at 11:28 am |
  14. Rudy NYC

Rick McDaniel wrote:
    Well, of course. NBC is the "voice" of the Democratic welfare Party. A Democratic Party, propagandist, network.
    ---------------–
    You're funny. Just because a media company or a television network doesn't promote conservative ideology doesn't make it a liberal network, nor a source of political propaganda. You should not assume view others through the lens of your own motives.

Unlike Fox News, MSNBC regularly makes use of a set conservative reporters and analysts, who are not just appearing as one-time guests. The truth of the Fox conservative propaganda machine can be traced to its' origins. It launched roughly one month prior to the 1996 elections as a 24/7 anti-Clinton, anti-Democratic, hate machine.

November 14, 2011 11:40 am at 11:40 am |
  15. Puddin

Go NBC....great decision! This is ironic; I was just recently thinking that one day we might have another Pres. Clinton. However, she doesn't strike me as one who might even want such a high-pressure job. And, by the way, my son who is a few years older than Chelsea, remembers when she was that normal, awkward girl with braces, he thinks she is now a "fox," and her husband chose well. So there to all you jerks who think otherwise! She has grown up to be a gracious, poised, and articulate woman, but I'll bet she could go for the jugular if she had to......just what we need in a president!

November 14, 2011 11:40 am at 11:40 am |
  16. rickeag

I am happy to see all of the first children taking advatage of their opportunities and making a difference in the world. Go Chelsea!

November 14, 2011 11:41 am at 11:41 am |
  17. DCE in the Bible Belt

No one said life is fair...and yes famous children and those from wealty families have more connections and clout. That said, being the child of successful parents doesn't guarantee success. You may be given opportunities more readily...but you have to prove yourself or you won't last. Chelsea is bright, well-educated and deserves a shot. She is not trading solely on her name but earning a PhD and seems determined to make a contribution to this world. I'll be anxious to see how she does!

November 14, 2011 11:48 am at 11:48 am |
  18. Ben

All of these kids whould have occupy camping out at their houses. Ron Reagan Jr....that is the height of unfair...

November 14, 2011 11:52 am at 11:52 am |
  19. JOE

Chelsea Clinton for President in 2016.

November 14, 2011 11:53 am at 11:53 am |
  20. FedUp

Glad I don't watch any NBC News.

November 14, 2011 11:53 am at 11:53 am |
  21. Allie

I think this is unfair. There are people in the broadcasting world who work their whole lives and never get to this level (national show). Jenna Bush is awful on NBC – well intentioned, but awful.

While I agree that she is bright and well-educated, she hasn't done anything to earn this role in journalism.

November 14, 2011 11:54 am at 11:54 am |
  22. Jim

I'm positive that I will never watch those shows. Why should I care what she says about anything?

November 14, 2011 11:59 am at 11:59 am |
  23. Robert

I love your parents and you. My Best to You & Family!

November 14, 2011 12:01 pm at 12:01 pm |
  24. Pat in IL

This is good news! I'm looking forward to hearing and seeing this very intelligent and compassionate young woman. She will be a very welcome fresh face.

November 14, 2011 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |
  25. Latch

The 1% in action. Chelsea has no idea what it's like to be the average American. How many people with actual journalism qualifications could have used an opportunity like this?

November 14, 2011 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |