Chelsea Clinton to hit the tube
November 14th, 2011

Chelsea Clinton to hit the tube

(CNN) - And Chelsea Clinton makes three - three first children taking their famous last names to NBC News.

Clinton joined the Peacock network Monday as a special correspondent who will appear on "NBC Nightly News" and "Rock Center with Brian Williams," contributing to the "Making a Difference" series that highlights extraordinary stories from ordinary people, according to the network.

"People who imagine and implement solutions to challenges in their own lives, in their communities, in our country and in our world have always inspired me," Clinton said in a statement. "I hope telling stories through 'Making a Difference' - as in my academic work and non-profit work - will help me to live my grandmother's adage of "Life is not about what happens to you, but about what you do with what happens to you."

The famously private daughter of former Democratic President Bill Clinton and Secretary of State Hillary Clinton will continue her work at the Clinton Foundation and her doctoral studies at NYU along with her new venture.

She previously worked at a hedge fund and hit the campaign trail in 2008 on behalf of her mother's presidential bid.

Jenna Bush Hager, daughter of former President George W. Bush, reports for NBC's "The Today Show" and Ron Reagan, the late President Ronald Reagan's son, is an analyst on MSNBC. Meghan McCain, daughter former Republican presidential nominee John McCain, is also a contributor on MSNBC.

Filed under: Chelsea Clinton
  1. Mike

barbara451,

When has it ever not been that way? We talk alot about democracy but the truth is there is still plenty of aristocracy here in America. Who you end up as often has much to do with what family you were born into.

November 14, 2011 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |
  2. Just my opinion

What real-life experience does she have to share? Hi, my name is Chelsea Clinton. My whole life has been handed to me on a silver platter and now I am going to tell you my meaningless thoughts............

November 14, 2011 01:49 pm at 1:49 pm |
  3. Woman In California

@ Stevie

I could not have agreed with you MORE. No more Clinton's EVER.

November 14, 2011 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  4. STee

Gosh – get real - she is not that intelligent and this is not a job she got on her own. Good for her – connections work – just don't make a big deal out of it. She can't even frame a complete sentence.

November 14, 2011 02:15 pm at 2:15 pm |
  5. juskiddin

She may be better suited for radio.

November 14, 2011 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  6. nagrom

She has climbed far higher than shoot out in Alaska and Dancing with the Stars. Just goes to show where intelligent people gather.

November 14, 2011 02:25 pm at 2:25 pm |
  7. txrbt

Good for her. She has managed to reach 30 without drawing any negative press (not an easy task). She apparently knows what not to say – that's a gift. Yes, she got the job because of who she is but so what ... that list is a mile long.

November 14, 2011 02:28 pm at 2:28 pm |
  8. SD

When she turns 30 and realizes her conservative orientation, she'll be a great addition to the long list of skillful Republican politicans.

November 14, 2011 02:29 pm at 2:29 pm |
  9. OldGoat

It makes perfect sense: the offspring of a left-leaning pair of politicos is going to be on the network run by the company whose CEO is Obama's pal and who just happened to relocate key parts of his company's jet engine business to Communist China.

By the way, just what is it that qualifies Chelsea Clinton to take this position when there are so many other journalists who have already paid their dues? So she has a Ph.D. BFD, lots of others due as well. This all smacks of a form of political payback.

November 14, 2011 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  10. Dolly

Sophia – I worked at McKinsey in the 70's. McKinsey recruits their entry level consultants from the top notch B schools like Harvard, Stanford, etc much the same way the best law firms recruit from the best law schools. They recruit research associates from the second tier B schools. Like in law firms, partners, directors and heads of local offices are promoted from within. They may "headhunt" for an operations manager, human resources, marketing executive, an executive secretary or the head of their research department. Chelsea got her position at McKinsey on her merits not her pedigree.

November 14, 2011 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  11. Jenny

I like Clinton family. However, it is wrong for news organization to hire people from the political dynasties. News organizations need neutrality to be credible. Why do we trust Jenna Bush or Chelsea Clinton's reporting?

November 14, 2011 02:53 pm at 2:53 pm |
  12. sortakinda

Personally qualified for the job with no hint of family connections having any impact whatsoever. I'd say that if she were scooping Italian Ices in the park.

November 14, 2011 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  13. sortakinda

Politcal dynasties in the media? How about Maria Shriver? Or Roseanna Scotto's mob connections?

November 14, 2011 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |
  14. sortakinda

In the interview for the job, she claimed to have read a book. Once. It was either this or reality show, "The clintons At Home." Only they were nevre home. It woul d have been better.

November 14, 2011 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  15. Phil in KC

PatriciaD & ThinkAgain
    Yes, I do agree that beauty should not matter (at least, not in terms of her ability to do her job). I bring it up because it seems that, to be hired as a female on TV, you have to be very attractive. Look around – how many plain women do you see on TV? Not many, I'll warrant. Perhaps I didn't phrase it well, but that was my gist.

November 14, 2011 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  16. Whome

Before I read the article I thought it would be about Bill taken over the lead at the Second Mile.

November 14, 2011 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  17. Sophia

Dolly...I know how it works, I went through that process, wasn't selected. 2 applicants out of our entire class got in as consultants, out of roughly 150 applications in our business school alone, not to mention all the artscis that applied that we didn't know about. the process was brutal and one may think one is brilliant until they stand in a pool next to other applicants. I don't doubt Chelsea is brilliant, but seeing how many geniuses didn't get in, I have a hard time believing she was evaluated on equal grounds as the rest of us. Also, I have no idea what you point is, are you saying she was headhunted to become a manager or an executive?

November 14, 2011 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  18. brandonj

The real question that must be asked here is: Would she have gotten the job if her parents WEREN'T the Clintons? My guess is that the answer is a great big NO. We wonder why journalism is in the state it is these days, why unbiased reporting no longer exists for the most part-it's because we select far too many journalists based upon what celebrity family they come from or what their political leanings are. Honestly who gives a crap about Chelsea? Give me an unknown that is committed to unbiased reporting anyday. The last thing we needed was another celebrity "Journalist" bringing her (and her family's) biases to television news. Anderson Cooper is a prime example of what you get when you hire journalists based on celebrity. Maybe she'll get a crappy talk show that nobody watches too...

November 14, 2011 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  19. matt

Thank god finally somebody from the hedge fund industry to tell us how oppressed they truly are...maybe her and russert can get into a death match...neither of them deserves their jobs.

November 14, 2011 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  20. DanoMcRoo

Now there's a real challenge for the makeup artist!

November 14, 2011 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  21. Willy Brown

She's daddy's little no talent progressive getting kit glove treatment.

November 14, 2011 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |
  22. Phoenix86

This decision by NBC perfectly illustrates why they are dead last in the ratings.

November 14, 2011 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  23. James H. Black

Obviously, who her parents are was a significant factor in her landing this job. Anyone who says otherwise is either an idiot or a liar. That being said, she has it so deal with it. To Chelsea, you are lucky you have famous parents. Acknowledge that was probably more of a contributing factor to you being hired than your individual merit. Once you do that, remember it (for now). Go out, kick ass and do a great job so that in the future you will know that you earned what followed. Let's not fuss over how you got the opportunity, but rather see how you take advantage of it. Mommy and Daddy can only get you so far. The ball is yours now. Run with it!

November 14, 2011 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  24. Mary

I'm so happy for you, Chelsea! I won't miss the news to see if I get to see you. I feel great respect and admiration for your parents, and for you. The most intelligent family we have had in the White House, for a long time! Good luck! You will be great!

November 14, 2011 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  25. palintwit

What ! No DWTS like Bristol Palin ?

November 14, 2011 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |