Gloria Cain: I never believed allegations were true
November 14th, 2011

Gloria Cain: I never believed allegations were true

(CNN) -– Gloria Cain, the wife of GOP presidential contender Herman Cain, said in an interview Monday she had been aware of past sexual harassment allegations against her husband, but never believed they were true.

“They were unfounded, and that was the end of that,” Gloria Cain said on the Fox News show “On the Record w/ Greta van Susteren.”

“That was, what, 15 years ago? And from that point on, we had never even said anything else about it. So it was totally a shock,” Cain said of seeing the allegations resurface.

At least four women have accused Herman Cain of sexual harassment during his time as head of the National Restaurant Association in the 1990s. They include Sharon Bialek who accused Cain of sexual misconduct when she asked him for job advice in 1997.

Gloria Cain said in the interview that she has not asked her husband if Bialek’s allegations are true, relying instead on her comments in a press conference.

“I listened to what she said and I'm thinking, 'No, I'm sorry. Some of the things that you are saying about him, that's not Herman,'” Cain said.

Herman Cain’s manner with women is “old school,” his wife said, saying the descriptions from his accusers didn’t sync with her knowledge of her husband.

“To hear such graphic allegations and know that that would have been something that was totally disrespectful to her as a woman, and I know that's not the person he is. He totally respects women,” Cain said.

Though Gloria Cain maintained that she didn’t think the allegations were true, she said she wasn’t the type of political wife who would stand by an unfaithful husband.

“I know the type of women that you are thinking about, that the little woman at home is the last to know. But I never see myself as being the little woman at home. And I've always said when I've seen stories like that, I will not be one of those people who will stand up on stage with a smile and knowing that you were wrong,” Cain said.

As the allegations against her husband continued to escalate, Cain said she decided to stop listening to the media reports.

“After about a week and a half of watching the news and everybody having an opinion, I decided not to watch any more news,” Cain said. “And at that point I could tell my spirits started to lift. I know the person that he is."

A CNN/ORC International Poll released Monday shows a rapid drop in support for Cain, who is down 11 points from last month.

Fourteen percent of likely GOP voters now back Cain, placing him third behind former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney and former House Speaker Newt Gingrich.

The survey also shows only a slight majority of Republicans tend to believe Cain, and more than a third say he should end his presidential campaign.

Filed under: 2012 • Herman Cain
  1. Rodney

Wow this cain story will not see the light of day in my country Nigeria.those women will go missing.

November 15, 2011 02:53 am at 2:53 am |
  2. John Henson

Lady, you'd better wake up and smell the coffee.

November 15, 2011 05:07 am at 5:07 am |
  3. Michael

Herman Cain is not running for president he is on a book tour.

November 15, 2011 05:44 am at 5:44 am |
  4. Nameking

I guest we are set to observe another Gillette Clinton my man is a saint scenario again.

November 15, 2011 07:57 am at 7:57 am |
  5. Malory Archer

Her real name must be Cleopatra Queen of Denial!.

November 15, 2011 08:05 am at 8:05 am |
  6. Elva

"Stand by your man..."....

November 15, 2011 08:14 am at 8:14 am |
  7. Sandy

I feel sorry for Mrs. Cain. What a horrible man she is married to.

November 15, 2011 08:15 am at 8:15 am |
  8. Keith in Austin

I watched the entire interview and in all honesty, I believe the Cains! They appear to be a wonderful family and Gloria's accounting of her Husband over 45 years carries more weight than Gloria Allred's!

November 15, 2011 08:15 am at 8:15 am |
  9. Tired of the nonsense

I really don't understand these women who 'stand by their men' when they do something like this. It makes no sense.

November 15, 2011 09:40 am at 9:40 am |
  10. Kipper

Sorry Mrs. Cain......You are now one of THOSE women.......

November 15, 2011 09:51 am at 9:51 am |
  11. Anonymous

Its funny how rumors and not facts can effect ones reputation. And america isnt racist ok whatever

November 15, 2011 09:56 am at 9:56 am |
  12. Kyvailli Mansa

This is nothing but a political side show to use these women bring the Man down. Now that his approval rating has dropped and they had gotten their 15 seconds of fame, things will go back to being normal...right? Wrong. I believe Cain is the best of all the worst choices in the Republican field. He's the only one that has what it take to SHAKE Pres. Obama is the general election; anyone else, Obama will be heading for a landslide as he did in the 2008 election against John McCain.

November 15, 2011 09:57 am at 9:57 am |