Huntsman in New Hampshire: 'I don't care what the rest of the country thinks'
November 15th, 2011

Huntsman in New Hampshire: 'I don't care what the rest of the country thinks'

Portsmouth, New Hampshire (CNN) - Jon Huntsman seemed to get carried away in embracing his campaign's New Hampshire strategy Tuesday, telling an audience: "I don't care what the rest of the country thinks or feels."

He later clarified he was speaking about national poll numbers.

The former Utah governor is running a cash-strapped campaign and has put the majority of his resources into the New Hampshire primary, hoping to catch fire in the first-in-the-nation primary state. He emphasized his commitment to New Hampshire at a well-attended town hall on the state's coast.

He continued: "I do care about what the people of New Hampshire feel, because this is important."

After the event Huntsman was asked by a reporter to clarify his remarks. He said his comment was "the wrong thing to say" and explained he had been referring to national polling.

"Of course I care what people think in the rest of the country," he said. "Specific to the poll numbers, is what I was referring to."

Huntsman ranks in the low single digits in most national polls, but has seen an uptick in his polling in New Hampshire.

Speaking to the media, Huntsman also said he had not yet seen the television advertisement released by a SuperPAC supportive of his candidacy. The ad hit the airwaves in New Hampshire Tuesday.

"We've been on the road all day so I'm looking forward to seeing it at some point," he said. "But anything from the outside that serves to bolster our efforts in New Hampshire, I'm mighty grateful for."

Huntsman, the son of a business mogul in Utah, said he had not spoken to his father about whether he had contributed to the SuperPAC. The organization is not affiliated with Huntsman's campaign and is not subject to the same fund-raising regulations.

Filed under: 2012 • Jon Huntsman • New Hampshire
  1. Keith in Austin

A good VP option but not ready for prime time as POTUS.

November 15, 2011 10:34 pm at 10:34 pm |
  2. gt

only gop canidate that has brains and ideas...i hope he makes it..

November 15, 2011 10:36 pm at 10:36 pm |
  3. normajean @ verizon ,com

' ""I DON'T CARE WHAT THE REST OF THE COUNTRY THINKS."
    Last words of an "also ran"!!!!!

November 15, 2011 10:37 pm at 10:37 pm |
  4. John

The only GOP candidate that is serious and presidential. the rest of the GOP field are just plain angry and have no idea how to govern. They hate government ......

November 15, 2011 10:43 pm at 10:43 pm |
  5. Larry L

This is the only Republican candidate who presents a rational approach to leadership. Too bad he is a Republican. They don't respond to "rational". They want what Fox News tells them to want.

November 15, 2011 11:13 pm at 11:13 pm |
  6. monogopapenog

He'll care when it comes time to run in another part of the country.

November 15, 2011 11:25 pm at 11:25 pm |
  7. Slightly Left of Center

Come on, Huntsman. Get it together, think before you speak, and solidify your message and campaign. I'm kinda hoping you're the dark horse of the repub candidates. Once the rest of them chew each other up and everyone sees them for the clowns and idiots they are, you could be the last man standing. At this point, you're the only hope of swinging my vote toward the right.

November 15, 2011 11:27 pm at 11:27 pm |
  8. Greg

The fact that Perry is polling above Huntsman is truly disturbing. Huntsman is articulate, intelligent and composed, he is vastly more qualified, and far more likely to pull moderate votes away from Obama.

November 15, 2011 11:37 pm at 11:37 pm |
  9. bontragerfam

Romney is the best choice of all the 2012 contenders. Sorry Huntsman

November 15, 2011 11:47 pm at 11:47 pm |
  10. SiriusVH

It is too bad that GOPsters don't see Huntsman's value .... This is someone who, at least, has something between the ears, instead of the vacuum that other President-wannabes flaunt with great arrogance.

November 16, 2011 12:19 am at 12:19 am |
  11. Dan Novotny

Huntsman: polished, accomplished in both the executive and diplomatic spheres, somewhat moderate. Can anybody who approaches politics from center-right explain why this man isn't getting more attention?

November 16, 2011 01:00 am at 1:00 am |
  12. stranger in an increasingly strange land

A Republican saying he doesn't care about most of the country. Talk about truth in advertising. I'd vote for him just for acciedently telling the truth.

November 16, 2011 01:27 am at 1:27 am |
  13. Texas Annie

Oops– a little slip of the tongue there, Jon??? Gotta be careful. ya know, people might actually be listening. (Yeah, yeah, I know what he meant, but I just couldn't pass on it.) :-)

November 16, 2011 01:58 am at 1:58 am |
  14. cic

What a shame. Your own father won't endorse you. You better call President Obama so he can send you back to china.

November 16, 2011 02:40 am at 2:40 am |
  15. Brian

As an independant voter, Jon, you are the only Republican candidate I would consider voting for. Together the rest of their IQ's combined would be just under plant life.

November 16, 2011 02:52 am at 2:52 am |
  16. Foxhole Atheist

I'm a democrat and I'm willing to give him a pass on this one.

November 16, 2011 03:04 am at 3:04 am |
  17. T'sah From Virginia

►"I don't care what the rest of the country thinks or feels," he said. "That's not important."◄
    Oh well, I'm in Virginia and don't care about Huntsman either!!!

Obama 2012

November 16, 2011 06:10 am at 6:10 am |
  18. S.B. Stein E.B. NJ

Yes, I can see how he was talking about the polls. They are really too small to be a real clear representation of the country when it is only about 1,000 people. I think it also shows his frustration that he is not really high in the polls that are done. He should be considered and the GOP isn't doing that. It is frustrating for a man who is reasonable in most ways. I guess that the GOP is interested in ideologues more than solutions.

November 16, 2011 07:23 am at 7:23 am |
  19. Ashley

I hope he picks up in nh, he is the only repub canidate out of the bunch that i even remotely could see being a good president. His moderacy and his history of bipartisanship really appeal to me.

November 16, 2011 07:40 am at 7:40 am |