Third reason Pelosi can't debate Perry slips her mind
November 17th, 2011

Third reason Pelosi can't debate Perry slips her mind

Washington (CNN) - House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi declined Republican presidential candidate Rick Perry's debate invitation and poked a little fun at the Texas governor while she was at it.

"He did ask if I could debate here in Washington on Monday," Pelosi said, responding to a question about Perry's invitation. "It is my understanding that such a letter has come in. Monday I'm going to be in Portland in the morning and I'm going to be visiting some of our labs in the afternoon, that's two, I can't remember what the third thing is I'm going to be doing."

Pelosi was ribbing Perry for his recent debate gaffe when he couldn't recall the third government agency he would shut down if elected president during an awkward 54 seconds of air time.

Gov. Perry responded through his personal and campaign twitter accounts saying, "Something @NancyPelosi would like to forget: passing a 2k-page gov takeover of healthcare without reading it. American ppl haven't forgotten."

According the newspaper The Hill, Perry sent a letter to Pelosi saying, "I am in Washington Monday and would love to engage you in a public debate about my Overhaul Washington plan versus the congressional status quo. I think it would be a tremendous service to the American people to see a public airing of these differences," he continued. "Let the people decide. If Monday doesn't work, perhaps we could find a time in Iowa over the course of the next month to discuss these issues in front of the people of America's heartland."

Gov. Perry's Overhaul Washington plan includes cutting Congress to a part-time body.

Filed under: 2012 • Congress • Debate • Nancy Pelosi • Rick Perry
  1. Tim

Nancy's third thing? Botox.

November 17, 2011 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  2. ToldUso

He's tired of being over-matched in the Repuglican "debates", so he thought he'd fight down a weight class. I'm no Pelosi fan, but I'd bet even money on her.

November 17, 2011 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  3. Mystery

Why is Pelosi "visiting a Lab"? Is she obsessed with chemicals, allowing chemicals in everything from food to medicines or threatening us with chemicals? Why are all the libs like Buffet taking over chemical labs? CREEPY

November 17, 2011 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  4. BEn275

Why dont Perry prove the "government take over of healthcare." Show us hard evidence.

November 17, 2011 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  5. Big George in Big D

That witch couldn't carry on a debate with her own little finger. She sucks up money like its water and all the democRATS think that's just fine but want to take away from republicans. The top 10 wealthiest people in America are democRATS!!

November 17, 2011 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  6. Flint Rock

Come on boys and girls, how can you pick one of these folks to defend?

Wait a minute – on second thought Perry is below a toad on the brain power list.

November 17, 2011 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  7. Saboth

Oh wow, that is hilarious. I almost feel bad for Perry.

November 17, 2011 03:30 pm at 3:30 pm |
  8. Jerry/Florida

If there was ever such a debate, the "Bobble Head Princess" would loose hands down. Other than spending our nation into oblivion and enriching herself and her family, mostly at taxpayer expense; she has accomplished absolutely nothing else for America. Right now she is power only because she is being sheltered by the Democratic machine. Not this Democrat, though!!! Uhm. I just remembered the same goes for this clueless president, too!

November 17, 2011 03:30 pm at 3:30 pm |
  9. Andrew

Perry is a clown.

November 17, 2011 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  10. Dennis

Has this man completely lost his mind??

November 17, 2011 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  11. Nina

Someone wrote that letter for Rick. He didn't write that, himself. He's not that articulate.

November 17, 2011 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  12. DLH

He does understand that Pelosi is not the President or maybe that is another things he has forgotten.

November 17, 2011 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  13. Me

Enuff: I absolutley agree. When I read the heading, I was "What the hell?" "Why do he need to talk to her?" Did he forget who he is running against. LMAO

November 17, 2011 03:44 pm at 3:44 pm |
  14. abby1

This guy is really dumb.

November 17, 2011 03:44 pm at 3:44 pm |
  15. Bill

When Pelosi's plastic face finally collapses, it'll be about an 8 on the scale.

November 17, 2011 03:44 pm at 3:44 pm |
  16. Noodle Nose Johnson

Maybe he can debate the high school student who Bachmann dodged. He's get creamed but it would be entertaining.

Can't wait for Pelosi to be speaker again in 2012.

November 17, 2011 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  17. Jimmy

Registered Democrat here, now a staunch independent. Just wanted to suggest to Pelosi that instead of coming up with a few zingers why doesn’t she focus on more ways to claim that what her and her other crooked friends on Capital Hill did was not illegal. Republicans and Democrats alike. Using insider knowledge to make millions while we are all loosing jobs and loosing homes that we COULD afford, that is until we all started getting laid off.

Please people, forget so called party lines and just look at what these people are doing. All of them. Both sides. There is no difference between them.

November 17, 2011 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |
  18. Mr. Wilson

I love the last one: working part-time. He probably wants to include the Presidency on that list. That way he will still have the hours he has now in Texas: two-years on and two-years off.

Tell you what, Rick, take the next fours years off. We won't notice.

November 17, 2011 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |
  19. Pertnear

Let me get this straight, if a Rep mocks/degrades/jokes about/etc a Dem, it is in poor taste and they demand an apology – but it's ok for Dem to make fun of a Rep? The double standard is ridiculous. I actually thought what Pelosi said was humorous, I wish more politicians would not take such statements personally and demand retribution.

November 17, 2011 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |
  20. sortakinda

A Pelosi Perry Debate? Why? Like a fifth wheel for my car. Totally unnecessary.

November 17, 2011 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |
  21. jim.mck

Gov Perry proves again he's not ready for primetime. He can't debate the real candidates so he's shooting for an easier target.lol I guess the debate club from the local high school already turned him down.

November 17, 2011 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |
  22. Sorensen

Apart from being ignorant, arrogant, corny and naive, he must also be suicidal. Pelosi has at least twice his I.Q.

November 17, 2011 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  23. sayitstr8

i love the idea that Texas Gov Perry wants Congress to be a "part time body". It goes along with the condition of his mental process. Put them together and he makes a whole half a person.

November 17, 2011 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  24. Wingnuts for Jesus

Perry is working on walking and chewing gum at same time. He does not want to complicate things and add a third task.

November 17, 2011 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  25. Zil Zerimar

Perry wants a debate? Why don't you practice first before you go to debate. And please remember what you want to say, huh.

November 17, 2011 03:51 pm at 3:51 pm |