Ron Paul reissues claims on American policy and 9/11
November 20th, 2011

Ron Paul reissues claims on American policy and 9/11

(CNN) - Presidential candidate Rep. Ron Paul reiterated his controversial stance Sunday that some policies of the United States contributed to the terrorist attacks on September 11, 2001.

Speaking on the CBS program “Face the Nation,” Paul said his views were consistent with analysis from various groups.

Programming note: GOP presidential candidates face off at 8 p.m. ET Tuesday, November 22, in the CNN Republican National Security Debate in Washington, D.C.

“I think there's an influence,” Paul said. “That's exactly what the 9/11 Commission said. That's what the DoD has said. That's also what the CIA has said. That's what a lot of researchers have said.”

Paul said American intervention in foreign nations was a trigger to potential terrorists, who he said were sending the message: “We don’t like American bombs to be falling on our country.”

He cited withdrawing a military base from Saudi Arabia immediately after 9/11 as an indication that U.S. military policy was partly responsible for the actions of terrorists.

Paul has previously said that the military presence in Saudi Arabia was a motivator for terrorists, who were angered by American troops in the Islamic country.

The Texas congressman made clear he did not think America’s form of government and economy were to blame, but rather the specific foreign policies pursued by the United States.

“To deny this I think is very dangerous, but to argue the case that they want to do us harm because we're free and prosperous I think is a very, very dangerous notion because it's not true,” Paul said.

He continued, “You're supposed to be able to criticize your own government without saying you're un-American.”

Filed under: 2012 • Ron Paul • Terrorism
  1. Larry L

His approach to non-intervention only works at the national-level in a more old-fashioned conflict. When you are combating trans-national terrorism the efforts must be precise, largely covert, and often without the permission of the nation passively shielding the terror groups. Think Pakistan. President Obama has been particularly successful in this sort of operation. His greater problem is cleaning up the mess left by Bush, Cheney, and Rumsfeld from their attempts to give contractors jobs and protect the business interests of big oil companies. I firmly believe Cheney should be in prison for his lies designed to convince the Congress to initiate the Iraq War.

November 21, 2011 10:44 am at 10:44 am |
  2. Don

It was certainly an aspect. One cannot rule out the muslim drive for world domination though.

November 21, 2011 10:48 am at 10:48 am |
  3. ThinkAgain

@Hubbs: Planned Parenthood doesn't spend the money it gets from taxpayers on abortions (which is a very small percentage of what they do), because they're not allowed to. The money taxpayers provide to Planned Parenthood goes towards health services for low-income women, including annual exams and birth control counseling. If you go to the PP website, you'll see a huge amount of information about prenatal and postnatal care for women, to help insure healthy pregnancy, delivery and after-care. PP also provides referral information for new mothers on infant care and dealing with the challenges of raising children.

On a personal note, I went to PP when I was just out of college and the only health insurance I could afford was catastrophic coverage. Because of the availability and low cost of their services, I went to PP for my annual exam, which found pre-cervical cancer cells. I was strongly encouraged to follow up with an OB-GYN for treatment, which I did. I had surgery and 20 years later, I'm the mother of three. Given my familiar history of cervical cancer (that killed my grandmother and also struck my mother), if I hadn't gone to PP, I might not be here today.

In Ron Paul's world, since I couldn't have afforded better medical insurance, I would just have to roll the dice and hope that I didn't get sick. And if I did, I'd end up like his former staffer who didn't have health insurance, died of cancer and left $400,000 in unpaid medical bills to his family.

November 21, 2011 10:48 am at 10:48 am |
  4. Joe Sixpack

We don't like hearing that our own foreign policy is partially responsible for creating terrorists all over the world, but it's the truth. We don't need nearly 1000 military bases all over the world. We are overextending the empire and this is how Rome fell.

November 21, 2011 10:53 am at 10:53 am |
  5. Heywood Jablowme

Paul has no spine, much like carter. For him to imply that America didn't have the right to kill bib laden or the American in yemen says this guy dosent have the guts to do what is needed to protect this country. First wimp Ive ever heard of from Tx. This man has no right to be the President.

November 21, 2011 10:55 am at 10:55 am |
  6. ThinkAgain

"It's time we take a look around and stand up to fix the country that our forefathers dedicated their life to."

The founders of our country created a UNITED States of America, with a Constitution with a mechanism for amendment, because they knew that society and technology would change. They created a representative government with three branches, a judicial system with guaranteed rights. They didn't rule out international relations; they included specific language about the levying and collection of taxes to provide for the common defense and welfare.

Unlike what Paul believes, the founders did NOT create a dog-eat-dog world; they knew better than that.

If you want to accelerate our decline into a third-world country, where the top 1% own and control everything, vote for Paul. Because that's where his ideas would take us.

November 21, 2011 10:56 am at 10:56 am |
  7. mghughett

Nice try CNN... the people are not dumb enough to think we are being target just because we like freedom... You keep trying to paint Ron Paul as an isolationist instead of a non-interventionist. My question to you is where is Congress in your scenario? Even if the President was an isolationist.... If Congress felt we need to get involved in something... then they could do their jobs(finally) and vote for action. So this Isolationist fear-mongering is just plain silly.

November 21, 2011 10:57 am at 10:57 am |
  8. Nibiru Truth

Once again Dr. Paul is right. But I think it runs even deeper than most people realize. I support Israel and their right to exist because we are implored by God to do so, but I was outraged when I read about the "Urban Moving Systems" vans loaded with explosives and painted with murals depicting the very events of 9-11. Did the Mossad and elements of our own government stage the events of that day to put a hook in the nose of the American people to get us to attack and destroy Israels enemies. We won't know the truth until Jesus returns.

November 21, 2011 10:57 am at 10:57 am |
  9. ThinkAgain

@Hubbs: "Just because he's not pro-choice personally, he believes that making that decision is up to the states and by the people that live in them."

If Paul were really into freedom, he would be pro-choice, as in, the women decides what to do with her body, not some state legislature. Pro-choice doesn't mean you have to have an abortion; it means that someone else doesn't make that decision for you. Having that protection at the federal level, in the form of Roe v Wade, guarantees this freedom.

November 21, 2011 10:59 am at 10:59 am |
  10. Shel

Truth is controversial, isn't it? Finally someone who doesnt speak for the military-industrial complex.

November 21, 2011 11:02 am at 11:02 am |
  11. max

the more this political season progresses the more paul looks like the only real candidate

November 21, 2011 11:02 am at 11:02 am |
  12. Eddie Speghetti

Ron Paul 2012!!!

November 21, 2011 11:02 am at 11:02 am |
  13. reverance

Out ffffn standing to hear some people actually waking up and beginning a true dialogue on the state of our Nation.
    the interview was definitely a hit piece, but Dr. Paul is so deft in his diplomacy and message that he comes out unscathed.

Ron Paul is rising look at Iowa!

The Nation is waking up and believe me when they really do, We will reclaim our liberty.
    Dr. Paul is true patriot and I give him 20 hours a week+ of my time for free to help spread his good words and work

Matthew Papke
    USMC

November 21, 2011 11:04 am at 11:04 am |
  14. SOUTHERN HOTTIE

If Ron Paul had guts he'd run as an Independent. But, I'm afraid, he's just ain't got the you-know-what. He's the right's Ralph Nader.

November 21, 2011 11:06 am at 11:06 am |
  15. MK in SoCal

Ron Paul is spot on with his assessment of our foreign policy woes. I've traveled a lot in Latin America and the feedback I get from friends there is very similar – we love America and its people; its government, not so much. The 800 pound gorilla in the room with any conversation about the US and Middel East is, of course, our support of Israel. I find Ron Paul to have some very interesting and insightful ideas; of course other ideas of his I would have to categorize as "kooky". And he is especially a little to "laissez-faire" in his approach to business. Free markets are one thing; we're living the results of "free-for-all" markets. I think as a Cabinet member he may be effective, but I don't think he has the leadership qualities to be an effective president.

November 21, 2011 11:08 am at 11:08 am |
  16. Harrison

Hell has frozen over. I actually agree with him for once.

November 21, 2011 11:11 am at 11:11 am |
  17. Blackbear701

I don't normally agree with Ron Paul, but on this I agree with him 100%; Americans should educate themselves and get their heads out of the sand.

November 21, 2011 11:11 am at 11:11 am |
  18. Joe

Very good journalism Mr Liptak. And if you think Ron Paul's 9/11 claim is worth writing about, you should check out his 9/11 prediction a decade ago and his housing bubble prediction from 2003!!!

November 21, 2011 11:14 am at 11:14 am |
  19. Tony

He's right. The 9/11 terrorists did not hate us for our freedoms. They hate us for our intervention in the Middle East. We do not need to be over there.

November 21, 2011 11:15 am at 11:15 am |
  20. Paul

I am finally going to vote for this guy.

November 21, 2011 11:19 am at 11:19 am |
  21. boyamidumb

Wow a potential leader with a pair and the ability to tell it like it is.

Don't agree with all of his positions, but at least he puts them out front and stands by them – unless he learns they are wrong.

Bravo. Keep it up and you might even make me start campaigning for you.

November 21, 2011 11:21 am at 11:21 am |
  22. nightsun2k7

I'm not form the states and if i was i would be a dem, however Ron Paul is they only politician in your country that makes sense everytime he speaks, he seems to be honest and straight to the point without pomp and fanfair. That's what your country needs. Someone who will speak the truth weather it hurts or not and someone who will do what's best for your country whether he's a repub or not.

November 21, 2011 11:24 am at 11:24 am |
  23. Betty

I watched Face the Nation Sunday to listen to what Ron Paul had to say. I agree with Ron Paul on this issue. As for the show's host, he came off as a bully with his constant interrupting and trying to put words into the candidate's mouth.

November 21, 2011 11:33 am at 11:33 am |
  24. MT

This isn't rocket science. We invade, occupy, and bomb their countries. They get mad. It's patently obvious that the mainstream media is trying to distort Paul's views into some anti-American ideology, which is absurd. That Schieffer interview on Sunday was a disgrace to journalism and was handled very well by Paul clearly stating his position which is the same conclusions that were drawn from the 911 Commission Report, CIA, and numerous other independent studies. But do we really need all that?? After all, we know why they attacked us on 911... and you know why... because they TOLD US WHY THEY DID IT!!!!

November 21, 2011 11:33 am at 11:33 am |
  25. Pat Riot

You can ignore reality, but you can't ingnore the consequences of ignoring reality.

For those of you who don't know. Dr. Ron Paul serves on the House Financial Services Committee, and the Foreign Affairs Committee. On the Financial Services Committee, Rep. Paul serves as the chairman of the Subcommittee on Domestic and Monetary Policy.

Dr.Paul is an Economist and Is very much aware of Foreign Affairs.

Dr. Paul is a very knowledgable man and he has solutions.Don't you think the American people have a RIGHT to hear him and explain his positions on the MSM ?

Dr. Ron Paul has my vote. This is a man with a lifetime of integrity and honesty.He is beyond reproach.

November 21, 2011 11:36 am at 11:36 am |