Ron Paul reissues claims on American policy and 9/11
November 20th, 2011

Ron Paul reissues claims on American policy and 9/11

(CNN) - Presidential candidate Rep. Ron Paul reiterated his controversial stance Sunday that some policies of the United States contributed to the terrorist attacks on September 11, 2001.

Speaking on the CBS program “Face the Nation,” Paul said his views were consistent with analysis from various groups.

Programming note: GOP presidential candidates face off at 8 p.m. ET Tuesday, November 22, in the CNN Republican National Security Debate in Washington, D.C.

“I think there's an influence,” Paul said. “That's exactly what the 9/11 Commission said. That's what the DoD has said. That's also what the CIA has said. That's what a lot of researchers have said.”

Paul said American intervention in foreign nations was a trigger to potential terrorists, who he said were sending the message: “We don’t like American bombs to be falling on our country.”

He cited withdrawing a military base from Saudi Arabia immediately after 9/11 as an indication that U.S. military policy was partly responsible for the actions of terrorists.

Paul has previously said that the military presence in Saudi Arabia was a motivator for terrorists, who were angered by American troops in the Islamic country.

The Texas congressman made clear he did not think America’s form of government and economy were to blame, but rather the specific foreign policies pursued by the United States.

“To deny this I think is very dangerous, but to argue the case that they want to do us harm because we're free and prosperous I think is a very, very dangerous notion because it's not true,” Paul said.

He continued, “You're supposed to be able to criticize your own government without saying you're un-American.”

Filed under: 2012 • Ron Paul • Terrorism
  1. david a dudenhoefer

"President" Paul is SPOT ON.

We need as a people to consider ouir actions around the world as well as at home and how it effects the worlds views of us. We are a republic, but seem to be drifting to an empire. However all empires collapse due to overreaching and overspending. This is the position we find ourselves, the question is what path will we follow? The path that got us here, or the consitutional one to lead us out.

November 21, 2011 11:36 am at 11:36 am |
  2. batman

Ron was stated what should be common sense very well. Well done Ron !

Face the Nation host looked, and acted, like a fool.

November 21, 2011 11:39 am at 11:39 am |
  3. pd123

While I don't want to move to libertaism I have to admit I think he is right. Ah the price of globalism.

November 21, 2011 11:42 am at 11:42 am |
  4. Mindie from Indie

Paul is absolutely correct yet people criticize Obama for apologizing for what the United States has done throughout the world. I like Ron Paul except for a couple of issues – His pro life stance and his remarks about discrimination are troubling – other than that I'd vote for him over Obama.

November 21, 2011 11:43 am at 11:43 am |
  5. Chris

Isn't it funny how the morons attack Ron Paul like hes some kind of radical candidate? In reality hes just trying to do whats right and undo what they tards have done. In a time of lies the truth is revolutionary.

November 21, 2011 11:44 am at 11:44 am |
  6. Joe Shmoe

@ Bessy

Ron Paul did bot say "let the man without insurance die". That was an audience memebr, and Paul said the opposite. Look it up on You Tube.

November 21, 2011 11:47 am at 11:47 am |
  7. Ralphenator

As an Obama supporter, I completely agree with Ron Paul on many issues, especially this one. The way the article was written, calling Ron Paul's stance on this issue controversial, implies it is not generally accepted. I think this is generally accepted, regardless of your political stripes.

November 21, 2011 11:47 am at 11:47 am |
  8. Nelson in NC

This is perhaps the one thing about which Mr. Paul is correct.

November 21, 2011 11:48 am at 11:48 am |
  9. Mario

If I had a chance to vote for a republican candidate in 2012 I would vote for Ron Paul. Unfortunately I would not vote for him due to his views on health care and immigration. I believe that healthcare should be a right for all Americans.I simply don't understand why Ron Paul believes that people should be allowed to gamble with their health, and if they do get sick let the churches and people take responsibility for people who get sick and have no money to pay, when the reality is that we humans will get sick at some times in our lives. On regards to immigration we are a country formed of immigrants and if you are born in the United States you are a United States citizen, I don't agree with Ron Paul's view to not give American Nationality to immigrants who are born in U.S. soil. I would go further and argue that we should give American nationality to the immigrants who are educated in America who get excellent grades and have them stay and benefit our society.

November 21, 2011 11:51 am at 11:51 am |
  10. Lizzie

JSFMD47 "Why did the Japanese attack us in 1941? " your spin on this is priceless, Japan attacked Pearl Harbor, because the were allies of the germans. The left in those days refused to get involved, NOT OUR PROBLEM they told everyone.

November 21, 2011 11:51 am at 11:51 am |
  11. Joshua Ludd

Just because nothing can excuse the acts of 9/11 does not mean that nothing could have caused people to want to perpetrate 9/11. Terrorist organizations do not come about in a vacuum, and we have certainly not let the Middle East be a vacuum when it comes to our presence there.

November 21, 2011 11:52 am at 11:52 am |
  12. Ken

Ron Paul was an outspoken critic of the Iraq War.
    Ron Paul is Bush Sr. Enemy #1 (he left the GOP out of disgust knowing Bush Sr. was going to get the nod)
    Ron Paul is absolutely correct. He is the only honest man in the government-media complex.
    Ron Paul is definitely *not* an Isolationist, to suggest he is lies and propaganda. Dr. Paul and most of the country believe that our current foreign policy of aggressive Gunboat Globalist-Corporatist Crusaders create more enemies then friends and that that is Isolationism.

November 21, 2011 11:58 am at 11:58 am |
  13. Reggie from LA

Abour 6 years ago, in a discussion with a right wing co-worker, he enlightened me to the effect that all this business of terrorist jihad (hence 9/11) has been brought on because terrorist Islamist want to convert the U.S. to Islam. It was all I could do to clinch my teeth to keep from looking dazed and awestruck with jaw on floor. So that's the reason for terrorist attacks? We won't comply? I think I can more readily accept Dr Paul's reality.

November 21, 2011 11:58 am at 11:58 am |