$1.5 million poured into Huntsman ads
November 22nd, 2011

$1.5 million poured into Huntsman ads

(CNN) - A super PAC supportive of presidential candidate Jon Huntsman has spent nearly $1.5 million on television ads including a new ad buy over Thanksgiving.

A spokesman for Our Destiny super PAC tells CNN the group is spending $650,000 on broadcast and cable advertisements over a trio of media markets covering New Hampshire, the state where Huntsman has placed his presidential hopes.

Two ads - one 60 seconds long and another 30 second ad - will air on cable stations in Boston from Nov. 24 – 27. The political action committee will air the longer spot in Portland, Maine and Burlington, Vermont over the same time frame.

The latest available fundraising report showed Huntsman's campaign was in the red and struggling to garner sufficient funds to hit the airwaves.

The Super PAC is not subject to the same federal rules on financing. Many have speculated Huntsman's father, a wealthy chemicals scion, has contributed the lion's share of funding to the group to shore up his son's presidential effort.

Huntsman has not answered questions about whether the bulk of the funding for the group has come from his father, a wealthy Utah chemicals scion.

Our Destiny went up on the air for Huntsman earlier this month with a spot that showed Americans worried about the struggling economy.

The group's ads will air on AEN, the Discovery Channel, ESP2, ESPN, the Food Network, FXNC, HGTV, the History Channel, New England Sports Network, Time Warner Cable, and USA.

Filed under: 2012 • Ads • Jon Huntsman
  1. Susan Booth

I'm not a Republican, but I actually like this guy. He's smart and not an extremist. I hope Huntsman wins the GOP nomination. Don't get me wrong, I want Obama to win the presidency, but if a Republican has to be president, I do want him to be a decent guy. I want someone that is a moderate and not freak or a liar like Newt and Romney. This is the only condidate that comes across as presidential.

November 22, 2011 11:51 pm at 11:51 pm |
  2. J.V.Hodgsn

I agree, Huntsman is the best of the pack of the Republican nominees. Why?
    Because he espouses policies and actions that are potentially do able as a Republican President with whatever mix of House and Senate.
    The rest are too busy saying Obama did everytjhing wrong and portraying themselves as archetypal Politicians with Republican values.
    Once again these are not Presidential debates as such they are Republican policy group forums/ discussions on issues facing the nation. And yes even Democrats are interested in what they have to say.
    Will they please stop trying to attack Obama and state thier case ( of which they are certain) to be the next President of the USA on thier policies alone. It will then be clear where they could have, or think they could have, done better. Every voter already knows and have thier own view of the good the bad and the ugly of President Obama.
    For me the presumption of America's right to pre-emptive strikes overseas against perceived national security risks is grossly over exaggerated. Equally so the idea that Islamic extremists will be a matter of American local national security is religious bigotry by the US and will make terrorists more determined to attack the US.
    Face the facts these guys are a very insignificant numbers wise minority they will never carry the whole of the Islamic believers or muslims to a full scale WAR, they will most likely ( never??) get that level of support.
    Apart from Huntsman( marginally) none ot the potentials got it that Afghanistan is tribal and the largest tribe is the Pashtuns many currently displaced in to the border regions and if you like leaning towards the more strict interpretaions of the Koran. In that sense closer to Al Qaeda than Karzai's government. Pakistan and Afghanistan are and will remain Islamic nations. and womens rights regrettably a low priority.
    Not one of todays participants used MAD as a reason why Iran will never go to nuclear war with Israel. We have been there done it before. If Iran gets nukes it might be MAD US Russia all over again.
    War will not be an option. Sanctions simply energise terrorists or more correctly Islamic extremists.
    Regards,
    Hodgson.

November 23, 2011 12:43 am at 12:43 am |
  3. Raul

I totally agree much better than flip flop soulless romney

November 23, 2011 12:55 am at 12:55 am |
  4. Ibrahim

Huntsman is a brilliant man and that's what this country needs.I'm a democrat even though I want President to win again if someone is going to beat him I want a decent man to do so.

November 23, 2011 12:56 am at 12:56 am |
  5. T'sah From Virginia

The clear winner tonight was NEWTron – Why? Because he was not arrogant, slimy, or just plain annoying. He will be the next "flavor of the MOMENT" because he is for that dirty word "Amnesty."

I watched MITTens tonight FLIP-FLOP right before my eyes!!! After NEWTron talked about how he voted for Reagan's "amnesty" moment and how he agreed that you cannot ship 11 million people out of the country – Romney went 100% against NEWTron. But after Perry "semi-agreed" with NEWTron on the "amnesty" manner, Romney did a 180 and all of a sudden, was agreeing with both NEWTron and Perry.... Dang, and this is what the RIGHT wants to lead our country???

As far as Huntsman, I agree with Susan Booth, I like him too but his is NOT what the RIGHT want to get behind – He worked for President Obama, remember???

Obama 2012

November 23, 2011 01:06 am at 1:06 am |
  6. 4158

i did not know he had that many followers. ohh that's right he gets that money from big corporations so that once hes in office he would care less about you and me and give special favors to the rich.

November 23, 2011 01:25 am at 1:25 am |
  7. tbythesea@cox.net

I wish the media would give Governor Huntsman more coverage. Not only a successful governor but his experience as Ambassador to China is a big plus. He seems to be a class act which its going to take to beat President Obama whos a class act as well. The more I research Gov. Huntsman, the more I admire. The rest of the current GOP candidates are just too wierd for me to ever vote for.

November 23, 2011 01:30 am at 1:30 am |
  8. Teacher's Pet

I totally agree with Susan. Huntsman would be my choice. Why do the talking heads keep ignoring him? He's smarter and kinder than Newt, and no doubt a lot more honest. He's not a radical Mormon, or off kilter as some. I hope he will soar, because, as Ms. Booth said, if Obama would lose, he'd be the least scary of all these people who debated tonight.

November 23, 2011 01:36 am at 1:36 am |
  9. tamara reina

Boy this ad do cost a fine penny to run for office of the president of the US

November 23, 2011 01:51 am at 1:51 am |
  10. Chris Wander

I have no idea Huntsman is not favored by more than one percent? If people are tried of both extreme sides this is as moderate as you get. I love Huntsman, I wish he would run as an independent in the president race but I don't believe he has the funds to support that.

November 23, 2011 03:58 am at 3:58 am |
  11. Marie MD

Save your money and go on vacation to Iran. Maybe you can peddle more weapons to them.

November 23, 2011 06:28 am at 6:28 am |
  12. S.B. Stein E.B. NJ

If I had major problems with Obama, then I would be rooting for Huntsman. The problem is that Republicans don't like someone who understands and relys on science rather than industry based ideology.

November 23, 2011 07:15 am at 7:15 am |
  13. The Greedy Old PIgs have declared class war on US!

This is one of the reasons why Mr. Hunts Man is barely better than the rest in the GOBP deathcult's clown car of candidates. Mr. Hunts Man may sound more moderate, yet he still comes from a huge family fortune based on one of the most polluting industries on earth. He endorsed Ryan's disastrous plan to strip Americans of SS and Medicare and he is for deregulation, which will naturally benefit his family's interests. Since he has failed to renounce the GOBP deathcult's failed policies like deregulation and tax cuts for the filthy rich, Mr. Hunts Man is as big a snake as Romney.

November 23, 2011 07:26 am at 7:26 am |
  14. Don in Albuquerque

I wore out shoe leather for Obama last election, talking to neighbors for him. Won't this election. In fact will probably stay home. But Huntsman could bring me to the booth again. He appears to be sane. Cannot believe the GOP is ignoring the only guy who could draw heavily from the Dem vote. He is probably the only one that OBAMA is afraid of.

November 23, 2011 07:36 am at 7:36 am |