Palin vs. Fox News?
November 22nd, 2011

Palin vs. Fox News?

(CNN) – Did Roger Ailes accuse Sarah Palin of going rogue?

Citing anonymous sources, New York Magazine reports the Fox News chief was "infuriated" that Palin announced her much-anticipated 2012 decision on conservative radio host Mark Levin's show on Oct 5., bypassing the network that holds her million dollar contract.

Later that night–after the media swirl had already begun–Palin appeared on Fox for an interview with Greta van Susteren to confirm her decision, but as the magazine's contributing editor Gabriel Sherman reports, the bridge had already been burned.

"Ailes was so mad, he considered pulling her off the air entirely until her $1 million annual contract expires in 2013," Sherman wrote.

Palin representatives declined to comment on the story, and Fox News did not respond to CNN requests for comment.

For much of the year, the political news universe was lasered in on Palin, closely watching every interview she gave as she openly considered a White House bid. A regular primetime pundit on Fox News, she was frequently asked to weigh in on the 2012 presidential cycle.

Any formal announcement, Sherman noted, would have been a huge ratings boost for Fox News.

Ailes' comments came in a meeting with other Fox employees, some of whom spoke anonymously to New York about the outburst.

The report said Palin decided to announce on Levin's show out of frustration with Fox over the network giving more air time to Karl Rove, a Palin critic and former chief political strategist to President George W. Bush.

Meanwhile, Levin had "become Palin's biggest booster in the conservative commentariat, and Palin is known for rewarding loyalists, and punishing her detractors," Sherman wrote.

Ailes reportedly threatened to "bench" Palin, continuing to pay her but eliminating her air time. Sherman wrote that the former Alaska governor eventually apologized.

While Palin has thrown herself out of the running, her influence still carries weight in the 2012 campaign as her highly-sought after endorsement could prove to be a key factor in a GOP horserace that fluctuates by the month.

When exactly she'll make that announcement is unknown, but as Sherman points out, she may be saving that one for Fox.

Also see:

Cain signs anti-abortion pledge

Cain, Paul crossed off for Iowa group's pres. endorsement

Who can make a difference in New Hampshire?

Bachmann's big upset prediction

Filed under: 2012 • Fox News • Sarah Palin
  1. annie s

People really care what Death Panel Sarah has to say?

November 22, 2011 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  2. Kris Craig

Palin called Karl Rove a dishonest thorn of the establishment. Rove called Palin a nobody who doesn't have the chops for political office. I never thought I'd say this, but Sarah Palin and Karl Rove are both right.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go jam my neck tie into the paper shredder....

November 22, 2011 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  3. Canuck

These people all deserve each other.

November 22, 2011 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |
  4. dave

Lol!
    (that's about all I can really say about that...)

November 22, 2011 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  5. kapil

she is back----

November 22, 2011 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  6. jeff in hawaii

What an idiot.This woman is so shallow and petty she can't even tell which side her bread is buttered on. A million a year to take pot shots at the President on an irregular basis, and yet she has no loyalty. I can just imagine what she would be like in any office...

November 22, 2011 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  7. Mary

Palin comments have as much use as a wet blanket

November 22, 2011 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  8. The Real Tom Paine

Crap. We've gone weeks without hearing anything significant from this hag. Oh well, as long as its within the family.

November 22, 2011 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  9. excitizen

"I paid her for two years to make this announcement on my network," Ailes reportedly told Fox News executive vice president Bill Shine, the network's liaison to Palin's team." You knew she wasn't a finisher when you hired her. Don't you just hate it when you can't keep your hos' bahaving! LOL No class, no morals, no dollar amount to small to sell yourself for – pretty bad when the back-stabbers are turning on each other! Couldn't have happened to a nicer bunch :-)

November 22, 2011 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  10. Russ

Oh come on.....things had finally quieted down about Palin and CNN had to dig up this little "who gives a damn" tidbit to put her name out there again. I know it's been pretty bland out there in the political arena without her, but we like it that way. Now knock it off.

November 22, 2011 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  11. Sniffit

Is that a 5 o'clock shadow on her upper lip?

November 22, 2011 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  12. Stacey

Sorry, but I still don't get what people see in Palin. "Highly sought after endorsement?" What for? Didn't she let all of her followers down when she announced she wasn't running (which just about everyone guessed anyway)? Just asking...

November 22, 2011 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  13. MTATL67

Just when I thought I would not hear blamen Palin's name again.....my opinion is who cares about Fox and their "Unbiased coverage" of an employee. After all Fox has a reputation of being fair and unbiased...bench her he'd be doing all of us a favor.

November 22, 2011 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  14. JohnRJ08

Roger, this is what happens when you hire stupid people.

November 22, 2011 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |
  15. Goptfascists Nationalists Party - radical "regressive" bigoted intolerant fanaticism screwing the USA

just another square head feeding of the cognitively challenged – Palin, Gingeritch, Norqwist, Frank Luntz, Pat Roberstson, Jerry Fallwell, etc.

November 22, 2011 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |
  16. Tim Pawson

When will the media learn that she is no longer relevant. She is not a viable candidate herself due to lack of qualification (intellect/knowledge) and actions (i.e. cashing in, quitting governor's job). So any endorsement from her only holds value with the uninformed electorate. She is a distractor, and any endorsement from her would tarnish a candidate in the general election. I do have to say that SNL with her was brilliant however.

November 22, 2011 05:04 pm at 5:04 pm |
  17. Independent Voters

This going to be excited to see Fox news and Sarah go at it, I guess Pailin going to tell the tea party go against Fox news.

November 22, 2011 05:04 pm at 5:04 pm |
  18. Johnathan

This GOP field of idiots makes me miss the relatively profound and cerebral Palin. How nuts is that?

November 22, 2011 05:07 pm at 5:07 pm |
  19. Dominican mama 4 Obama

------------------------
    This all happenned over a MONTH AND A HALF AGO!
    WT_?!
    Slow newsday or a relatively painless way to ease us back into Palin Mania?

November 22, 2011 05:11 pm at 5:11 pm |
  20. NC

1 million a year. Hire me I'm educated but it took me 7 years to get my Bachelor's Degree working full-time and taking care of my elderly parents.I will dumb down for that kind of money. But I refuse to lie or sell my soul for money.
    Happy Thanksgivi everyone, enjoy your families and loved ones.

November 22, 2011 05:12 pm at 5:12 pm |
  21. doug

Fox should know better...she quit on Alaska, she quit on you...a fruitcake from the beginning.

November 22, 2011 05:13 pm at 5:13 pm |
  22. V in Chicago

It would be worth 2 Million if she would just go away and we would never have to hear her screeching voice and idiotic thoughts again.

November 22, 2011 05:16 pm at 5:16 pm |
  23. MableRose

Now she will be trying to work her magic on Fox ratings by stringing along her followers with "Will she or won't she endorse? And who will it be?" Fox can milk that for a long time. They let her string them along with a possible Presidential run while she took a vacation bus tour paid for by them.

The only time I want to see or hear from Palin is the night it is announced Obama is reelected.

November 22, 2011 05:17 pm at 5:17 pm |
  24. Guest

I don't care for Roger Ailes or his news outlet but I would give him a huge kiss on his chubby cheeks if he pulled that screaming Harpie off the air.

My apologies for offending Harpies by stating Sarah Palin is one...

November 22, 2011 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |
  25. m

Like the majority of voters really care what this lunatic thinks.

November 22, 2011 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |