(CNN) - As the Romney campaign decides how hard to campaign in Iowa, voters there on Saturday opened their mailboxes to find several different mailers from it touting the candidate's positions on immigration, marriage and values. This marks the first known paid-advertising effort by the Romney camp in the state.
Such issues as immigration and marriage are key for many of the conservative activists who comprise alarge portion caucus attendees.
In one of the flyers obtained by CNN, the campaign emphasizes the former Massachusetts governor's tough stance on the hot-button issue of immigration, with the flyer saying at the top: "Mitt Romney. The strongest Republican to beat Barack Obama and end illegal immigration."
The mailing highlights Romney's stances opposing taxpayer-funded benefits for illegal immigrants, working to ensure that employers can confirm the legal status of employees, and supporting building a border fence.
Romney has criticized fellow candidates Rick Perry, who has supported in-state college tuition for the children of illegal immigrants and who has criticized a border fence as ineffective; and Newt Gingrich, who last week in the CNN foreign policy debate repeated his support for moving some of the approximately 11 million illegal immigrants in the United States towards some form of legal status as the humane option for dealing with the problem.
Gingrich, who has repeatedly said that would not be amnesty because they would not be offered automatic citizenship, nonetheless has been criticized by many on the right since the debate for his stance.
Another flyer sent out, according to the Des Moines Register, tries to reassures wary conservatives who have raised questions about Romney's social record. It specifically highlights his positions on same-sex marriage and abortion - key issues for those conservatives after many on the right have accused him of flip-flopping, especially for earlier supporting a woman's right to choose on abortion but later changing his position.
The flyer says "Pro-Life: Mitt Romney believes that life begins at conception and opposes abortion. Pro-marriage: As governor, Mitt Romney fought against gay marriage in Massachusetts. He supports a federal amendment to define marriage as between one man and one woman."
That mailer also touts Romney as "Pro-family: Mitt Romney lives his values," talking about his being married to his wife, Ann, for 42 years. While it doesn't mention other candidates, it will not be lost on many that Gingrich, who is currently on top in Iowa, is on his third marriage.
With the January 3 caucuses just over a month away, all of the candidates can be expected to pick up the pace of their campaigning in the state.
How Romney, who spent $10 million in Iowa in 2008 but did not come with away with a victory, competes there this time is a major unanswered question. He has stayed in contact with his 2008 supporters, visited the state again last week and quietly opened a campaign headquarters there.
Romney is running second in the state according to the most recent American Research Group poll there, and some analysts say the anti-Romney vote could be split among several contenders giving him a major opportunity to do well. CNN's Shannon Travis, however, reported last week several leading conservative activists in the state are trying to help build support among one of those candidates to prevent Romney from winning the caucuses.
Follow Kevin Bohn on Twitter: @KevinBohnCNN
Caucuses are no way to select a nominee.They allow for multiple choices since you are able to move from one candidate to another over a period of time. Plus they are exclusive of those that can not make it to the designated spot at the selected time. Both parties should demand actual elections of 1 person/1 vote and end this farce.
Romney is a flip-flopping, lying, arrogant elitist. A vote for him is a vote against middle class working people. Remember when he said he, too, was unemployed? Of course, he failed to mention that he was worth millions and didn't need a job. I say let's make sure he doesn't get one.
Milk toast Romney will continue to flip flop have you all forgotten his old approch to amnisty for illegals. OOps I guess he has changed his other mind again and again and again.
Many Americans will be doing both voting and casting a ballot for President Obama's second term, thanks Mitt.
Definitely not voting for a flip-flopper of a politician who cannot stand on his principles, even on immigration where Romney hypocritically employed illegal workers at his home.
Mitt please take note, because of your lying, I will say anything against Obama including taking the Norquist pledge. I will give my vote to our President Mr. Obama.
"The ad, featuring a photograph of Romney in front of an American flag, says the candidate is “the strongest Republican to beat Barack Obama and end illegal immigration.”
Oh, oh. Look out, America. Here comes Willard dragging out the good old Stars and Stripes. Dang it all, though, Mitt - only ONE flag? Probably going to have to up the flag ante, don't you think? Mr. Cain has already been seen giving press conferences looking oh so presidential while standing in front of at least 4 ... or has it been 5 ... flags?
As for me and mine ... we'll be sticking with "That One" yet again.
I will take the four more years of the best President we ever had, who gave us the killing of Bin Laden, gave us the bringing down of Kaddaffy, will give us the end to the IRAQ war, gave us universal health care, 3.3 millions jobs. Yes, I will take this one.
Mitt Romney called himself as business man; investing in Iowa bad investments he knows that so he is a bad business man
Yesterday CNN reported that Iowa social conservatives having secret meeting the topic was NO to Romney
So how is Big-Spending-Barry working out for YOU personally? To all the Obambats that frequent this blog, ask yourself that simple question honestly. How's that 401K plan looking? Do you still feel giddy? Do you think America's position in the Middle East is ever-strong? Do you like the way Barry is handling our free trade with China? Do you know your employer is wrought with so much Government regulation unknown impact of Bozocare and taxes that he'll have to lay you off next year just to stay in business? Do you appreciate a President that hasn't Led but instead, delegates and then Blames his failures on opposing views? Do you support a President that has distain for free-market capitalism and views our economic future modeled after European-style Socialism? Do you truly believe Obama's top priority is not continuing his ideological assault on our Nation at all costs? If so then go ahead and vote for him. YOU WILL be in the minority a year from now!
…take 30 minutes to do this, or be stuck with four more years of this.
Referring to the President of the USA and his work as „this“, is a smear! The type of “communication” should be enough to pause!
But, just to answer that question – grateful to a President that works hard for 99% of the people! No chance for the truly wasted GOP/TP – party of “NO” that we have witnessed for the last 3 years throwing wrenches into any progress. Only having their 1% (corporations are people...) and Grover Norquist (want to make the President fail…) on their mind – all GREED over NEED!!
2012 cannot come soon enough to get these GOP/TP “pledges” out and a Democratic House and strong Democratic Senate in!
Which positions would that be, exactly? the position you have today or your previous totally opposite ones? no wonder the rethugs are so desperate to find someone other than Mitt. i wouldn't have been too terrified of the Mitt of several years ago, but this current one is a rabid right-winger pandering to the basest of the base.
Governor Romany cause is to fulfil his father’s unaccomplished dreams to become the president of the United States for America. Thought his life Romany is following his father foot step to accomplish more than his father could. It might be to prove to his father that he is more worthy than him. Or, I suspect perhaps, there might be animosity or resentfulness in the family that leads to a son quest is to compete with his father. Otherwise mitt’s subconscious is working on him to pursue a dream the same as his father to make him self worthy. When Romany ordered to fire the illegal workers from his yard his mane reason was according to his word “…for god sac I am running for public office” clearly showed that his quest is to wine the public office including the presidency to fulfil his own ambition. Otherwise no one can explain his frequent change of values…. contrasting values to the opposite end of every spectrum “fillip-flapping”. How such ambitious men can be born without a single core principle?
Romney is the most electable and wisest candidate. I trust Romney for a smarter, smaller, fairer government.
ummm what haoppened to Ron Paul being on top of the polls in Iowa??