Barney Frank not seeking re-election in 2012
November 28th, 2011

Barney Frank not seeking re-election in 2012

Washington (CNN) - Massachusetts congressman Barney Frank, a prominent 16-term liberal Democrat and arch-enemy of political conservatives nationwide, will announce Monday he does not intend to seek re-election in 2012, according to a statement from Frank's office.

Frank, 71, will hold a news conference in his district to discuss the decision at 1 p.m.

FULL STORY

Filed under: Barney Frank
  1. Pete

Well said Da, surprised that with his history in congress that he lasted as long as he did. I would feel that the better you lie, pass blame and twist the facts to your benefit is a harbinger to tenure in this position. That said I believe that all branches should have a two term limit.

November 28, 2011 10:12 am at 10:12 am |
  2. radioone

Members of Congress should be term limited by determining how much "insider trading" has increased their wealth during their time in office. I propose a 7-million dollar cap. When they reach that number it would be time to for them to give the next person in line for the office their "turn".

November 28, 2011 10:13 am at 10:13 am |
  3. J

As a republican I agree, term limits for all members of Congress no more double digit representatives

November 28, 2011 10:13 am at 10:13 am |
  4. RD

Being a Republican, I couldn't agree more. Complete turnover in Congress and term limits is the only means by which to have Congress to begin to respond to the needs of the people and not the heavy handed, dollar laden special interest lobbying groups.

November 28, 2011 10:13 am at 10:13 am |
  5. Electricc

Way past time – he is at the heart of the financial meltdowns along with Dodd; hopefully a republican with courage goes after him after the 2012 election. I think is bailing to try duck and cover. Good Riddance!!!!

November 28, 2011 10:13 am at 10:13 am |
  6. bobincinti

Barney Frank represents the extreme corruption of congress. Good riddance.

November 28, 2011 10:13 am at 10:13 am |
  7. Hey You

Not surprised. If I had done so many wrong things, I would certainly opt out in favor of a fat life-long pension for causing problems in the economy and helping to create the home mortgage fiasco.

November 28, 2011 10:13 am at 10:13 am |
  8. brianuhelski

Of course not. Why would he??? He can make more money becoming a lobbyist now anyway and leave the clean-up to those who come after him. Don't let the door hit you in the behind Barney. You won't be missed.

November 28, 2011 10:13 am at 10:13 am |
  9. Nelson

Damage already done, Barney.

November 28, 2011 10:13 am at 10:13 am |
  10. Ernie

Barney Frank is taking the high road out of the neighborhood. He figures that he's done his damage and it's time to go. All of his senate buddies have decided not to run for re-election. Barney Frank knows that this time he won't get re-elected. It there's a new Republican President you can be sure that any of the "Bills" that Barney Frank was involved in will be looked at and possibly repealed Dodd Frank will be repealed . As I wrote last month (October) that starting in November 2011 that everything is gong to change well it's starting. There will be a new Republican House member from Massachusetts elected in 2012 you can count on it. Like I said Barney Frank leaving but he has already done his damage.

November 28, 2011 10:13 am at 10:13 am |
  11. Pokenhorn

Finally. Still, it's going to take a long time for much of the rest of the nation to forgive the voters of Massachusetts for inflicting this poisonous miscreant on the nation. My God, what were you citizens of Mass. thinking all those years ??

12. Bruce

His job to help destroy America like a good demoncrat nearly complete..........

13. PL

He spent a lot of his own money fighting off a challenger last term and many of us are waiting for the day that Barney is investigated for his dealings with Fannie and Freddie. Can't say I am sad to see him go. I hold him at the top of the list as being responsible for the Housing collapse. Greenspan and Bernanke followed by Bush would fill out my top 4.

14. MDM2758

I'm a Republican and couldn't agree more. We elect people who entrench themselves in the perks and power and act more out of a desire to preserve their position then as true representatives of the people. I think 6 House terms and 3 Senate terms are the maximum anyone should serve.

15. tony c

Its about time,Barney has helped destroy this country and got RICH doing it,

16. about time

It's about time he did, he should go now. He was one of the biggest reasons we are in this mess.

17. Gerald R.

I guess he feels like he's done all the damage he can do to this country. No sense staying in the House if you don't have the power to destroy the nation even further..

18. tim

step down knowing he'd have his hat handed to him if he did run...

19. Dan Linton

I guess Newt Gingrich's recent comment that Barney Frank oughta be in jail had led him (Barney) to the same conclusion Christopher Dodd came to last time around; time to get out while the gett'in is good! Eh Blarney?

20. Phocus

I wold love to see this guy in orange coveralls...along with Chris Dodd and Franklin Raines. If we elect real honest men and women in 2012, these three should face indictment. A retirement plan they deserve.

21. tim

Barney may be unable to face the fact that our current fianacial crisis started as a result of his insistence that banks approve loans for home ownership to non-credit worthy borrowers, but even the Boston Globe has recognized that fact and desseminated it the voting public. Barney is leaving because he knows he can't win. As the architect of the Freddie and Fannie disaster, Barney should not only go he should resign immediately. Barney being Barney however, I doubt that he will ever keep his hands off the Fannie.

22. Illogicbuster

After destroying Freddie & Fannie, his work is done...

23. cici1425

Proof positive that there is a God. This man has done more damage to our country than ANY other congressman. Adios!

24. drew

It's about time. He's been in Congress too, too long.

25. JamesG

I'm a conservative and I could not agree more with you, we need term limits to end the political class in Washington.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15