Frank discusses coming out as gay, going out as congressman
November 29th, 2011

Frank discusses coming out as gay, going out as congressman

Washington (CNN) - Barney Frank wasn't the first member of Congress to publicly reveal he was gay, but he was the first to do so voluntarily, he told reporters Tuesday in talking about his decision to retire.

Still, Frank said, he didn't come out about his sexuality until he was 47.

FULL STORY

Filed under: 2012 • Barney Frank • Gay rights • House of Representatives
  1. MTATL67

The fact Rep. Frank came out means a lot. He has proven that a Gay American can be themselves and achieve great things...even in the halls of Congress. I may not have always agreed with his legislative choices but I have always respected and looked up to him for his courage. Never dull....he will be missed.

November 29, 2011 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  2. HATS OFF TO HIM

I don't care if he is gay, purple, green or blue, so long as he did his job and he did it very well. The fight in Mass will be fierce to replace him. Being Gay and in congress is an accomplishment in itself. Best of luck to you Barney!

November 29, 2011 06:34 pm at 6:34 pm |
  3. Name Stephanie from Pittsburgh

I admire barney frank's courage and honesty. He is a great man who has done a wonderful job

November 29, 2011 06:47 pm at 6:47 pm |
  4. vbmp

Its the flaming ones that annoys me......think they need to shove their gayness down peoples throat.

November 29, 2011 06:57 pm at 6:57 pm |
  5. gt

hero ?... another sandusky... underage page... glad he is gone..double standard for this homosexual..

November 29, 2011 07:24 pm at 7:24 pm |
  6. Keith in Austin

Bath house Barney is the quintessential Poster Boy of what left-wing Liberalism is all about! Good riddance to the single-most repulsive Congressmen and what is completely WRONG about Washington!

November 29, 2011 08:29 pm at 8:29 pm |
  7. GI Joe

I have no fear of gay people. They do not pose a threat to marriage or anyone in their families.

What I abhor are the people who commit incest, attempted incest, child rape or anything remotely associated with them.

November 29, 2011 09:20 pm at 9:20 pm |