Gingrich aims for 'crushing defeat' over Obama
November 29th, 2011

Gingrich aims for 'crushing defeat' over Obama

Bluffton, South Carolina (CNN) - The ever-confident Newt Gingrich thinks he'll maintain his newfound frontrunner status, unlike other GOP presidential contenders whose boomlets have fallen flat.

"I think in my case, because I rose based on substance, it's a different phenomena. It took longer; it was slower. And I think people are more deeply committed," Gingrich said Tuesday.

The former House speaker was attending the grand opening of his Beaufort County field office, located near the Bluffton Promenade, a new business community designed to look like a quaint old Main Street, U.S.A.

Gingrich has been on the rise, thanks in part to solid debate performances that have highlighted his intellectual, matter-of-fact approach to issues.

An influx of campaign cash has allowed the once-fledgling presidential candidate to build up "dramatically more robust" operations in the early primary and caucus states of Iowa, New Hampshire and South Carolina, where he stands a chance to emerge as the conservative alternative to former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney.

"We have a larger team here than any other candidate and have a bigger ground game, and have a huge tea party support here and I'm going to continue to campaign very aggressively here in South Carolina," Gingrich said.

Less than two months ago, Gingrich was attending more intimate campaign events in South Carolina. They centered on his documentary and books, as well as his wife Callista's children's book about America exceptionalism. The main character, Ellis the Elephant, would show up in costume.

On his three-day campaign swing through the first southern primary state this week, Gingrich is addressing crowds in the hundreds, and his wife is doing separate book events.

As enthusiastic as the crowds appear, skepticism remains whether Gingrich can sustain the momentum, clinch the nomination and beat President Barack Obama.

During a town hall event outside on the Bluffton Promenade, one man asked the White House hopeful: "I'm concerned about the election. My goal is to singularly remove Obama from the presidency, and I'm concerned that we won't pick up the independents and I need to know how you're going to do that, because that's who I'm going to support."

"A lot of Republicans have this goofy idea, and a lot in the news media tries to sell us on this goofy idea, that what you really need to do to get independents is move to the center. You have to understand how they define center," Gingrich said. “The center is 50. I like picking fights where I'm at 80 percent. That means even after Obama spends his billion dollars and lies about it we'll still be at 65%. I don't think we'll get 65%. I think 60 would be a more than admirable goal for next year, and that will be enough to win a crushing election."

Speaking to reporters in front of his new field office, Gingrich was asked about his recent criticism of Romney's conservative credentials, though he has vowed to keep his attacks focused on Obama.

"Look, I'm not going out of my way to argue with anybody, but I was asked the question," he said listing his conservative record. " ... When you were very proudly a Reagan supporter in 1979 and 1980 and for all eight years of the Reagan administration, there's a contrast. And I expect Romney will draw contrast with me. As long as it is factually accurate and as long as it is done in a way that's issue-oriented I think that's part of the process. I tend to spend 95 percent of my time either talking about a positive solution or talking about President Obama. My primary opponent is President Obama."

Also see:

Swing state Democrats spread DNC's latest attack on Romney
Huntsman: Romney couldn't reform Wall Street

Gingrich moves into new mode: Attack Romney

Filed under: 2012 • Newt Gingrich • South Carolina
  1. Thomas

He sounds so much like a former European dictator back in the 1930s !

Dose Newt own a dog named Blondie ? I hope he doesn't confuse Mexico for Poland !

November 29, 2011 10:17 pm at 10:17 pm |
  2. Sonnie2

I think Newt is a good man for the job. I believe he has common sense that washington and our potus don't have or refuse to make sound judgement calls. We are tired of this stimulus, quanative easeing, run the debt up type of stupic government. I think real positive change will happen under Newts leadership. I hope he makes it as he is the best out there so far.

November 29, 2011 10:20 pm at 10:20 pm |
  3. Max

Crushing defeat?

Gingrich will keeping rising until his extra-marital affairs return to haunt him on the campaign trail. I'm sure Americans don't forget his sexual escapades and innuendos. What an ambitious pervert? If he is convinced that Americans will stoop so low as to elect one who is famous for sexual promiscuity he is dreaming.

In a matter of time he will see for himself that he isn't highly respected by the masses and to him it won't be any surprise. Give him just another week or so.

Sure! he'll experience a 'crushing defeat'

November 29, 2011 10:39 pm at 10:39 pm |
  4. Bill in Florida

Newt came "aim for" a crushing defeat over Obama, but he's not going to get it by any means.

November 29, 2011 10:40 pm at 10:40 pm |
  5. Name

In Newt's dreams. Never happen, Newtie.

November 29, 2011 10:52 pm at 10:52 pm |
  6. S.B. Stein E.B. NJ

Gingrich has more than ideology. The problem is that he doesn't have much more than just that. He things one way and doesn't understand where the people on the lower end of the spectrum are coming from.

November 29, 2011 10:54 pm at 10:54 pm |
  7. fensel

A crushing defeat of Obama? Newt is delusional. He absolutely needs to remain on the right, and get a record amount of far right voters to show up to the polls in order to win. His policies are nowhere close to the center, as he admits, and he won't win the independent vote.

Though what it's going to come down to: what happens, if he wins the Republican nomination, when the country is focused on his multiple affairs? What happens when the ethics violations are brought up?

November 29, 2011 10:54 pm at 10:54 pm |
  8. Independent from NH

This Independent from New Hampshire will NEVER vote for Newt. Among droves of politicians with essentially no moral character, Newt takes the cake (and eats it too by the looks of him).

November 29, 2011 10:58 pm at 10:58 pm |
  9. Ejay

Yeah – Just like the crushing defeat Newt's shutting down of the government handed Clintton, and the entire Democratic Party awhile back.

November 29, 2011 10:59 pm at 10:59 pm |
  10. geterdone

Newt, Newt, you poor dumb slob.... you couldn't crush a grape....... Quit now......

November 29, 2011 10:59 pm at 10:59 pm |
  11. Conrack

"Gingrich assured the crowd he was designing a campaign to create a crushing defeat and, by October, "no Democrat can say with a straight face they're going to vote for Obama."

I am a Democrat and there is no amount of GOP lies or propoganda you can create Mr. Disgraced Former Speaker to change how I will vote. Also, it is President Obama to you, bud. Don't take yourself too seriously yet ,as the way your party is bouncing from one flawed candidate to the next, you just might be looking up in the polls next week to Ellis the Elephant.

November 29, 2011 11:06 pm at 11:06 pm |
  12. Namryan

It's phenomenon... Mr. Republican intelligentsia!

November 29, 2011 11:21 pm at 11:21 pm |
  13. Rick McDaniel

Most of us will settle for a defeat, period.

November 29, 2011 11:22 pm at 11:22 pm |
  14. Hangar13

I usually post snarky comments about liberals and CNN but I commend this fact-based and balanced article. I have some concerns about the Gingrich candidacy, but his positions appear well thought out and his arguments are rational and convincing, and he presents them so well that they are often indisputable. I believe he would be a president for all Americans, and one of whom we could be proud.

November 29, 2011 11:22 pm at 11:22 pm |
  15. JOHN

Gingrich is really full of it. His turn to sputter out is coming.

November 29, 2011 11:31 pm at 11:31 pm |
  16. vic , nashville ,tn

This statement reminds me Frog in the well “Look how well off I am here! "

November 29, 2011 11:36 pm at 11:36 pm |
  17. Don

"President Obama’s slow ride down Gallup’s daily presidential job approval index has finally passed below Jimmy Carter, earning Obama the worst job approval rating of any president at this stage of his term in modern political history."
    Crushing defeat doesn't sound like much of a problem...Carter breathes a sigh of relief.

November 29, 2011 11:44 pm at 11:44 pm |
  18. Obama is going to mop the floor with the GOP clowns

None of the GOP clowns have a chance with Obama.

November 29, 2011 11:45 pm at 11:45 pm |
  19. normajean @ verizon ,com

The only thing that will get " crushed" in this campaign is Mr. Gingrichs ego.!He seems to forget that a lot of voters have been around the block and are aware of his very unsavory background including the ethics violations....money from questionable sources...treatment of women in his life. THIS is presidential material? I think not!!!!

November 30, 2011 12:25 am at 12:25 am |
  20. Marry

Gingrich is vastly overestimating himself! He does not even come close to what the President has to offer.
    The important part is to get the Tea-party and the Grover-pledge GOP out of the House and the Senate. They have shown that they do not want to work for the country! So why would you vote for ANY of them?

November 30, 2011 01:25 am at 1:25 am |
  21. allenbam

let's see...the wifey pooh...Callista'...is that wife number 3? or 2? I get them all mixed up...

November 30, 2011 02:01 am at 2:01 am |
  22. T'sah from Virginia

►"I think in my case, because I rose based on substance, it's a different phenomena."◄

No ginGRINCH – you rose based on badmouthing the media – arrogance – downright meanness, sarcasm, bashing Obama mercifully with LIES and pure hatred!! Now that the far-RIGHT all of a sudden woke up and "smelled" your arrogance – they LOVE YOU. (Hmm, the more I think about it – maybe it was YOU that initially brought Cain down). That is why you RISED and that will be same way you FALL!!

Now what is Newt's next mission? He will embrace the media because he now needs their platform to rewrite his story (and the media is falling for it); he will slow down in SOME of his arrogant rhetoric (noticed the last debate); and eventually he will rise to the TOP OF THE HILL for the Republican Party – pushing Romney slowly to the bottom of the mix.

Such a pathetic story about a man who will suddenly lose it all IF – and that’s a big IF – he makes it to the general ONLY to get destroyed by President Obama!!!

Obama/Biden 2012

November 30, 2011 02:13 am at 2:13 am |
  23. Donkey Party

That's right Newt and the rest of the sub-human GOP, it's all about removing Obama and not doing anything to help fix the mess your party is solely responsible for. Hell's fires are going to burn a lot longer when all of you filthy vermin go there.

November 30, 2011 05:24 am at 5:24 am |
  24. Georgia Tee

The new teapublican superhero...lol, lol, lol

November 30, 2011 05:46 am at 5:46 am |
  25. Tony in Maine

Gringich never simply wins – he crushes, rips the head off, heart out, blinds, skins sucks the blood. He is a truly sick man, filled with righteous violence. Convinced the the end justifies any means. God help us if the Supreme court makes him President.

November 30, 2011 05:55 am at 5:55 am |