Perry on reported shakeup: 'News to me'
November 29th, 2011

Perry on reported shakeup: 'News to me'

Derry, New Hampshire (CNN) – Texas Gov. Rick Perry said a report of a staff shakeup was "news to me" and added that any reshuffling of his top staffers was "not in my purview" when speaking to reporters Tuesday.

The governor brushed aside several questions about the reported shakeup when journalists approached him after his fourth New Hampshire event.

Earlier in the day, POLITICO had reported that former President George W. Bush adviser Joe Allbaugh, who was brought onto the campaign in October, had replaced Rob Johnson as campaign manager, and that senior strategist Dave Carney had been demoted.

Perry advisers disputed those reports Tuesday, as did the candidate when asked about Carney and Johnson.

"News to me. I've talked to both of them within, matter of fact, the last 24 hours," he said. "I would suggest to you that's just scuttlebutt.'"

When pressed about the reported expanded duties for senior adviser Allbaugh, the 2000 campaign manager for Bush, Perry said that was "not in my purview."

"I try to get out and be the best candidate I can be every day," he said. "The best I can tell, everybody's working hard and getting the work done. So I'm a happy camper, and that's a good thing."

Filed under: 2012 • Rick Perry
  1. Jose

"Rick Perry flubbed both the country's voting age and the date of the upcoming presidential election at a speech to a group of college students in Manchester Tuesday. " He thinks you have to be 21 to vote and he got election date wrong too. This from the guy who said he wants to get rid of the Department of Education!

November 29, 2011 10:04 pm at 10:04 pm |
  2. Max

Best candidate?

Perry "I try to be the best candidate I can be everyday" Not knowing that the voting age in the USA is 18 yrs. and the general election is November 6 is really the 'best'? How absurd? Is Perry going to 'dismantle' Washington by changing the voting age to 21 and changing the election date to November 12?

Is this really the'best' Texas and Perry has to offer as a presidential candidate? Maybe he needs some kindergarten lesson on politics..his kindergarten class mates would at least nudge him and remind him of the US voting age and election day.

November 29, 2011 10:26 pm at 10:26 pm |
  3. Thomas

Maybe somebody on Rick Perry's staff needs to send him candy gram with a nice note inside !

Perry / Enron
    2002 JOBS ?

November 29, 2011 10:33 pm at 10:33 pm |
  4. S.B. Stein E.B. NJ

Some people are the last to know. I can see Perry not being up on things based on his flubs in the debates and the fact that he doesn't know that the voting age is 18 and not 21. Maybe he didn't start voting until that age. I guess that he has not kept up with things.

November 29, 2011 10:38 pm at 10:38 pm |
  5. unsub

everything is news to perry!

November 29, 2011 11:08 pm at 11:08 pm |
  6. Terry Gloege

I suspect there are a great many things that would qualify as news to Mr. Perry. One example might be the 26th amendment.

November 29, 2011 11:20 pm at 11:20 pm |
  7. AB

There probably was a staff shake-up in Perry's campaign organization. Either Perry is too stupid to know what is going on in his own organization or he is a consumate liar.

November 29, 2011 11:39 pm at 11:39 pm |
  8. Me in MN

Ironically, when Perry was informed the voting age in the US is actually 18 and not 21 as he had said earlier to college students, Perry also said "news to me."

November 29, 2011 11:41 pm at 11:41 pm |
  9. Thinker

Ron Paul is the best candidate.

November 30, 2011 02:31 am at 2:31 am |
  10. Jan Darjeeling

I live in Texas and I am profoundly embarrassed.

November 30, 2011 02:48 am at 2:48 am |
  11. sick of republican phonies

"I'm just runnin' fer prezuhdint, they all don't tell me nothin'."

November 30, 2011 05:53 am at 5:53 am |
  12. Jeffrey Plate

Practically everything else is news to Gov. Perry, so why not this too?

November 30, 2011 06:59 am at 6:59 am |
  13. NATHAN WIMBERLY

Rats jumping from the sinking campaign. The dirty tricks wingnuts bombed Cain with the blondes and the brunette.

November 30, 2011 07:19 am at 7:19 am |