Cain struggles with Republican women in polls
November 30th, 2011

Cain struggles with Republican women in polls

(CNN) – Embattled Republican presidential candidate Herman Cain suffers from lower support among Republican women than Republican men, a problem that predates the allegations of sexual harassment and an extramarital affair, according to recent polls.

Results from the CNN/ORC International Polls taken before Monday's accusation that he engaged in a 14-year affair with an Atlanta businesswoman, suggest his lower standing among Republican women is due to concerns over his economic policies as well as his personal qualities.

In a CNN poll released in October, before any accusations were leveled, Cain received 30% support from Republican male voters compared to the 20% he garnered from Republican female voters. In the November poll, taken after the harassment claims, both figures dropped, but the gender disparity remained. His support from Republican males fell to 22% and to 12% from Republican female voters.

His favorable and unfavorable ratings remained largely consistent during the same period of time with men and women, even after the charges. However, GOP women were less likely than GOP men to say Cain's views closely mirror their own on issues, including his "9-9-9" tax plan.

Cain's biggest problem in the surveys was a steep drop in the number of the Republicans who said he was the best candidate to spur economic growth.

"Looking at these numbers, you can make a strong counterargument that the reason why Cain dipped in the polls was that men grew disenchanted with Cain's economic policy," CNN Polling Director Keating Holland said.

In October, 40% of GOP men said Cain was the White House hopeful most likely to get the economy moving again, compared with the 25% of GOP women. But the November figures showed a drop among men to 23% and among women to 16%.

A Gallup survey released Wednesday showed men have a more positive opinion of the former radio talk show host, with the gender gap increasing in recent weeks.

Cain's personal appeal resonated more with GOP men than GOP women, according to the CNN polls released in the last month, with Republican women less likely to think Cain has the right personality and leadership qualities to be president.

"That may be a reflection of the harassment charges, but I think there is a lot more to it than that," Holland said of Cain's approval with women. "Historically, men tend to respond more positively to 'red meat' candidates like Cain than women do."

"Whatever the reason for the gender gap on this question, the latest news is unlikely to help Cain with women," Holland added.

The polls released on Nov. 14 and Nov. 21 surveyed 480 and 402 Republican voters in that order. They had a sampling error of plus or minus 4.5 percentage points and plus or minus 5 percentage points respectively.

– CNN Producer Gabriella Schwarz contributed to this report.

Also see:

Cain to CNN: 'A decision in the next several days'

Cain accuser describes 'very casual affair'

Cain avoids affair controversy, lays out his 'doctrine'

Filed under: 2012 • CNN/ORC International poll • Herman Cain • Polls
  1. Republican who supports President Obama

Really? No Really???

November 30, 2011 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  2. Scott

Ya think???

November 30, 2011 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  3. FIELD1stSGT

Don't be fooled into believing that Obama is any different from this cat. To this bunch it is all wine, beer, MJ and Women. Not necessarily in that order.

November 30, 2011 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  4. Corporations R. People II

Tsk tsk tsk. Herb shouldn't be struggling with any women at this point in time given his handsy reputation.

But on a serious note, besides Libya, Uzbekibekibekistan, 9-9-9, overall disconnect with the mddle class, and his Gingrichesque lustful patriotism, he seems to be the only person left that doesn't realize his pizza is burned to a crisp.

November 30, 2011 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  5. Margaret

He should not worry about these polls, Good Christian women will submit to their husbands and preachers and vote for whoever they say.

November 30, 2011 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |
  6. Sniffit

"Cain to CNN: 'A decision in the next several days'"

And a foregone conclusion right now.

November 30, 2011 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  7. Dominican mama 4 Obama

This NOT a flattering picture of Herman Cain.
    I don't want to venture saying what animal in captivity he resembles.
    Suffice it to say that he is scaring the children...and evidently the GOP women voters as well.
    Who chose this picture, and why?
    Seriously.

November 30, 2011 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  8. Sniffit

""Historically, men tend to respond more positively to 'red meat' candidates like Cain than women do.""

Talk about dodging a bullet. For a second I was afraid he was gonna say "dark meat" and blow up the entire comment section...

November 30, 2011 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  9. Sniffit

"I don't want to venture saying what animal in captivity he resembles."

I'll say it: angry baboon. I've been comparing the GOP/Teatrolls to feces flinging monkeys for years now, so anyone who wants to throw the penalty card at me can go stand in the way of said flying feces.

November 30, 2011 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  10. Nelson Colorado Springs Co.

MY,MY,MY Look what I have done. Just upset 30% of Republican women. Some women will have afair with a married man BUT don't Cheat on her with another women. (SMILE)

November 30, 2011 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  11. Corporations R. People II

2 things:
    1) @ Sniffit - that was too funny, brilliant!

2) I think Herb, in the interest of being the beacon of fiscal conservatives everywhere, needs to give up the Secret Service protection my taxes are paying for. It's over Herb.

November 30, 2011 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  12. vet in texas

@FIELD1stSGT

========================================
    Here all this time 1st SGt (which I highly doubt), now you've finally allowed your true self to come out, I know what your saying when you use "this bunch", just like when McCain referred to Barry as "this one"..............and you guys say your not racist just because you disagree with Obama, yet your statements and their connotations say otherwise, sad part is, I'll bet "some of your closest friends are black".............

November 30, 2011 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  13. Anonymous

No Way...
    I wonder why

November 30, 2011 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  14. David R, Burbank CA

Yeesh. Why on Earth would I want to support a guy that only thinks from the waist down?

I guess the old saying was true: G_d gave man two heads, but only enough blood to run one at a time . . . . .

November 30, 2011 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  15. MarineVet

"Cain Struggles With Republican Women."
    Well, I'm sure a few of them put up a struggle.

November 30, 2011 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  16. Dominican mama 4 Obama

@ Sniffitt:
    Babe that was HILARIOUS!!!!!

November 30, 2011 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  17. duane

To quote Herman Cain. "I has had enuff of dese false ackuzations i has neber dune anyteen wong" This guy sounds like buckwheat after six weeks of speech therapy. He is only waiting until the book tour ends or the money dries up to drop from the race. And when he does he will use his wife and family as the reason, never admitting to any wrong doing. Did he really think he could run for POTUS and his past not come back to haunt him. This guy suffers from a crisis of arrogance.

November 30, 2011 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  18. Rudy NYC

FIELD1stSGT

Don't be fooled into believing that Obama is any different from this cat.
    ---------------–
    Not to sound like a male chauvinist (blast from the past, y'all) but have you compared their wives. Heaven forbid, if it came down to a fist fight, a barely 5-foot Mrs. Cain would *not* fair nearly as well as a 6-foot-plus Mrs. Obama. I think Mr. Obama knows he had better mind his manners.

November 30, 2011 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  19. Voice of Reason

Cain struggles with women voters...

But somehow they keep managing to free themselves and get away...

November 30, 2011 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  20. Maggie

The democrats are playing nasty against Herman Cain. It is so disgusting that it makes me want to be sick. You know, what goes around comes around .... as you call it "karma". It will come back to haunt you democrats and I hope you can deal with it. NASTY, NASTY PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!. or should I say trash. Dirty Chicago style politics!!!!! Don't give up Cain because we are still behind you 100%!!!!

November 30, 2011 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  21. Dominican mama 4 Obama

MarineVet

"Cain Struggles With Republican Women."
    Well, I'm sure a few of them put up a struggle
    ------------------------
    Bwahahahahaha!! Good one!

November 30, 2011 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  22. ronvan

Guilty until proven innocent! In this case nothing more than I said, you said. Where is the proof? If I was Cain and truthfully knew I was innocent, I would have an attorney getting ready to take these women to court for discrimination, defaminiton, slander, whatever. The problem, from what I have heard so far, is that I doubt any court would entertain a case due to lack of evidence! At any rate Cain is probably history, whether guilty or innocent.

November 30, 2011 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  23. We ALL Know, Mami

I am not sure why I am thinking both horn dog and corn dog when I think of squirmy wormy Herm! Why? Can ANYBODY help? Thanks!

November 30, 2011 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  24. Don Tailor

duane – you are making fun of a certain demographic. Very disgusting, let me tell you.

Anyhow, look at this very logical argument: http://ilovehermancain.com/notes-about-friendship/

November 30, 2011 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  25. Me in MN

From what I hear, Cain struggles with lots women, Repblicans, Democrats and subordinates alike.

Seriously, Cain just makes the jokes so easy.

November 30, 2011 04:37 pm at 4:37 pm |