While defending himself, Perry steps in it again
November 30th, 2011

While defending himself, Perry steps in it again

(CNN) – Rick Perry sought to defend a recent gaffe in an interview Wednesday, but in the same appearance made another.

On Tuesday, the Republican presidential candidate incorrectly said the voting age in the U.S. is 21 instead of 18 and that the 2012 presidential election is on Nov. 12 instead of Nov. 6, mistakes Perry characterized as human error.

"Look I'm a human being … I'm going to make some mistakes from time to time in my remarks," Perry said on Fox News.

He added that the focus on his missteps is an effort to distract from his policy proposals.

"When someone doesn't want to talk about the substantive issues, when they don't want to talk about the flat tax that I've laid out, when they don't want to talk about major overhaul of Washington, D.C. like going to a part-time Congress, which most of the states operate very well with, they want to find some little error that you've made and go talk about that," Perry said.

But in the same interview, in which Perry appeared from New Hampshire, the Texas governor incorrectly identified the state's early voting contest as "caucuses" instead of a "primary."

"Americans haven't decided yet at all who they want to lead the Republican nomination and we're going to be talking about that, we're going to be talking about it in harsh and strong terms over the course of the next four to five weeks are we get ready for those New Hampshire caucuses," Perry said.

New Hampshire will host the first-in-the-nation primary on Jan. 10, following the first-in-the-nation caucuses in Iowa, where Perry has focused the bulk of his energies, on Jan. 3.

Perry rocketed to the top of national and state-wide polls after his late entry into the 2012 race, but has since seen his support fall after disappointing debate performances and errors on the campaign trail.

A recent CNN/ORC International poll of Republican voters showed Perry in 4th place with 11% support behind former House Speaker Newt Gingrich with 24%, former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney with 20% and former pizza executive Herman Cain with 17%.

Filed under: 2012 • New Hampshire • Rick Perry
  1. Wildone

I thought there was a water shortage in Texas, so you can't say there must be something in the water that makes Perry so intellectually challenged. I spent some time in Austin and Dallas, where I found people to be smart and politically savvy, so I can't imagine how Perry (and Bush for that matter) ever got elected to ANY government office unless it was with money, money, money, because neither one has the sense that God gave a horny toad.

November 30, 2011 06:22 pm at 6:22 pm |
  2. yall r funny

Barrack Husein Obama doesn't know how many states we have "57" he said. But yes we should def focus on perry and his wrong date. I bet he knows his religon too and dosent need a reporter to tell him like BHO did . Don't we have real issues to deal with in this country where is the real news . To busy trying to shape the elections ?

November 30, 2011 06:31 pm at 6:31 pm |
  3. chelsea

Perry needs to schedule an immediate medical appointment for a brain scan. something is terribly wrong...

November 30, 2011 06:32 pm at 6:32 pm |
  4. wsest

TxJim- I think you misunderstood me. Any of the GOP's clowns are preferable to me than BO. ABO will get my vote as well. Personally I think Ryan would be the choice and would cancell out the ABO factor, but he's not running. I wonder why, but he's a smart guy and we'll see him somewhere down the road I think... Later...

November 30, 2011 06:36 pm at 6:36 pm |
  5. DemocratNH

Come on people. A presidential candidate with about as much sense as a texas horse making this many errors about these rather mundane piecs of info a grade school child would know makes me believe that if I was a republican I would be embarassed. If I was a supporter I would hide. Beyond that it seems too me that CNN is doing there job in reporting this, too show the republican Americans why they shouldn't want this dunce as their next President.

November 30, 2011 06:42 pm at 6:42 pm |
  6. sick of republican phonies

Gee, and he seemed like the PERFECT candidate- but that was before he actually had to say something and appear intelligent...

November 30, 2011 06:45 pm at 6:45 pm |
  7. FactChecker

A lot of people at the top have fantastic memories and grasp of facts. Perry, not so much. He still might make good decisions if there is always someone to remind him of who is who and what is going on.

November 30, 2011 06:59 pm at 6:59 pm |
  8. blake

Perry clearly is not the sharpest knife in the drawer. He is not going to win the GOP presidential nomination. But CNN and others in the media continue to demonstate their strong leftist bias by making mountains out of molehills in an attempt to discredit GOP presidential candidates. How did you respond to the many gaffes by Obama? 57 states ... give me a break.

November 30, 2011 07:01 pm at 7:01 pm |
  9. old bear

CNN, Obama just talked about how the English embassy was stormed in Iran. This is like calling the US embassy the California embassy. But Rick Perry mis-stating the voting age is big news? None of this is important. LOL

November 30, 2011 07:02 pm at 7:02 pm |
  10. Skeeve

Oh, I am sorry but what a straight "C" student who wants to become a president has for brain IS a "substantive issue"

November 30, 2011 07:07 pm at 7:07 pm |
  11. andrew

Well, Perry, you need to get things right! Don't blame others because you keep stepping on your own "you know what"! It's not my bad(s) – you should get things RIGHT in the first place! Every day we learn something else you don't know – for goodness sakes! Do you want us to stop listening altogether or what? What?

November 30, 2011 07:07 pm at 7:07 pm |
  12. Anonymous

I guess this is considered news worthy if it helps generate revenue. Good work reporting the important points in Perry's interview.

November 30, 2011 07:11 pm at 7:11 pm |
  13. BL

Not to worry, it'll all blow over by his inauguration on January 32!

November 30, 2011 07:13 pm at 7:13 pm |
  14. izy

OOPS...Perry has another brain fart...LMAO....MEMOREX ANYONE? what a joke, just like his counter part the sexual deviant Herman Cain.

November 30, 2011 07:20 pm at 7:20 pm |
  15. dianasbob

The comments I have read blasting or ridiculing Perry have come from people I wouldn't let carry my teabag. They couldn't possibly cope with the pressure that any candidate Republican or Democrat, has to endure.

November 30, 2011 07:20 pm at 7:20 pm |
  16. Robin Bray

18 or 21 is not human error. It is just failed high school stupid.

November 30, 2011 07:22 pm at 7:22 pm |
  17. Dennis

The only mistake was when his mother decided not to have an abortion.

November 30, 2011 07:26 pm at 7:26 pm |
  18. Chocolate Rain

Gingrich, Romney, Cain, Perry...its funny, no Ron Paul yet hes been dominating lately and is most definatly at least above Cain and Perry, good reporting CNN. I'm not falling for your tactics. I will vote for whomever I please and am not voting for someone just because you report on them more and consider them the front runner.

November 30, 2011 07:34 pm at 7:34 pm |
  19. logic in LA

Laverne- Obviously some people don;t know he's a "DUFUS" not only does he have poll numbers, but he is the longest sitting governor in Texas history.
    The more we can expose ignorant politicians the better off we may be- and I don;t care which side they are on.

November 30, 2011 07:41 pm at 7:41 pm |
  20. So shoot me

Remember Obama visiting all 57 States and he was going to visit the PRESIDENT of Canada.

November 30, 2011 07:44 pm at 7:44 pm |
  21. Elinore

Maybe we really should let TX secede from the union as Perry once wanted.

November 30, 2011 07:47 pm at 7:47 pm |
  22. Comedy Central

Who is sponsoring Perry anyway? Comedy Central?!!

November 30, 2011 07:48 pm at 7:48 pm |
  23. fiskenmann

It's official.....there's a three way tie between Tricky Ricky and Mr & Mrs Michele Bachmann for bozo of the year.

November 30, 2011 07:51 pm at 7:51 pm |
  24. Tom

Come on, folks, you'd have to be dumb as a flattened shoe box to vote for any republican in 2012.

November 30, 2011 07:55 pm at 7:55 pm |
  25. Tony

Make sure he is always close to a microphone...the more he talks the less likely he will EVER become President!

November 30, 2011 07:57 pm at 7:57 pm |