Bachmann names V.P. picks
December 1st, 2011

Bachmann names V.P. picks

(CNN) - She may not be topping polls as a Republican presidential candidate, but Rep. Michele Bachmann has already put some thought into who she might select as her running mate or appoint to her cabinet.

Bachmann threw out a few names Wednesday when asked who her potential vice-president would be, including fellow candidate Rick Santorum, businessman and reality television host Donald Trump, and influential GOP senators Jim DeMint of South Carolina and Marco Rubio of Florida.

The congresswoman from Minnesota also floated Santorum as a potential attorney general, saying his legal acumen was top notch.

"I think that Rick Santorum is a wonderful man personally, but also, I think that he's very gifted when it comes to the area of legal issues," Bachmann said on the Fox News program "On the Record w/ Greta van Susteren."

"I think I could see him as an attorney general. I think he'd do a great job. I haven't talked to Rick about that, but I think he'd be wonderful, or another cabinet position."

Bachmann also said Santorum would be on her list of potential running mates, should she win the Republican presidential nomination. Other names on her list?

"We've got a lot of wonderful candidates who would fit that bill," Bachmann said. "Easily comes to mind I think would be Senator Jim DeMint of South Carolina. Marco Rubio of Florida certainly would be in that category. There's a lot of great people out there. And Donald Trump is someone that I think a lot of people would be intrigued with, too."

Bachmann has met with Trump four times during her campaign, last meeting with the mogul in mid-November at the Trump Tower in midtown Manhattan.

Also see:

Gingrich: Race will come down to 'Newt and Not-Newt'

Romney: Obama will 'cower' from debating his record

Romney and Gingrich take gloves off

Gingrich embraces 'lifelong politician' label

Filed under: 2012 • 2012 VP Pick • Donald Trump • Michele Bachmann • Rick Santorum
  1. roscoe

Bachman & Trump might join up on Dancing with the Stars or Fox News but, thank God, they're as unlikely to be on a presidential ticket together as Jerry Sandusky and Richard Ramirez

December 1, 2011 11:24 am at 11:24 am |
  2. Jeff in TX

Oh yeah, the Donald is gonna play VP second fiddle to anyone. Right. Great judgment, Michelle.

December 1, 2011 11:24 am at 11:24 am |
  3. The Silky One

It certainly explains why Bachmann is running at the bottom. Even mentioning Trump makes my skin crawl. He has zero morals and integrity. His interests are purley his own and he'll step on anyone who stands in his way.

December 1, 2011 11:26 am at 11:26 am |
  4. Chris

Shouldn't this article be in the Entertainment Section? She should back to Congress and get back to work. Her hiatus has lasted way too long.

December 1, 2011 11:29 am at 11:29 am |
  5. Dave

Michelle Bachmann actually having support is more proof of the dumbing down of this country.

December 1, 2011 11:30 am at 11:30 am |
  6. sequoia

WOOO WOOOO. All aboard the CrazyPants Express! But of course nobody is buying a ticket.

December 1, 2011 11:37 am at 11:37 am |
  7. marinedad05

I seriously doubt if she will even be re-elected to Congress again, but here she is measuring the drapes.

There's nothing like baying at the moon.

You tell them, Michele!

December 1, 2011 11:37 am at 11:37 am |
  8. Marjee123

I needed a laugh this morning. this sure gave it to me.

December 1, 2011 11:38 am at 11:38 am |
  9. Kirk

Why does the Trump name keep coming up for political office? There is no way he lets anyone look into his accounting books....which he has to do in order to become a legitimate candidate. Throw in his multiple divorces and you have zero shot of being elected. Yet they keep dragging out his name every time I turn around. This straw grasping is kinda sad to watch within the GOP. They just don't have any candidate that 'pops" at this point. Unless they pull a rabbit out of their hat, Democrats keep the WH.

December 1, 2011 11:38 am at 11:38 am |
  10. Nightmare before caucus

It's the "Only in your dreams team"

Since I have as much chance of winning the election as M. B. I'll submit my choices for V.P. as well: Santa, Easter Bunny, or Tooth Fairy.

December 1, 2011 11:39 am at 11:39 am |
  11. Rick

Anyone who thinks Trump should be allowed anywhere near a government position is clearly insane.

December 1, 2011 11:40 am at 11:40 am |
  12. TH

Bachman + Trump = me wetting my pants laughing.

December 1, 2011 11:42 am at 11:42 am |
  13. Jason

Bachmann naming her running mates at this moment really sounds like the desperate final cry of a lost cause.

December 1, 2011 11:45 am at 11:45 am |
  14. Bill Z.

This woman is a US Congress Person who still thinks we have an Embassy in Iran ???
    And now she wants to President ..........OMG !!!!

December 1, 2011 11:47 am at 11:47 am |
  15. sortakinda

Bachmann and Trump? Didn't they already make that movie with Jim Carrey and Jeff Daniels (Dumb and Dumber)?

December 1, 2011 11:48 am at 11:48 am |
  16. Sniffit

Step 1: Place index finger horizontally along the line where your lips meet.

Step 2: Gently but quickly move index finger up and down while humming.

December 1, 2011 11:49 am at 11:49 am |
  17. A

Man! I was hoping for Kate Gosselin or Sarah Palin! Maybe Kim Kardashian is free?

December 1, 2011 11:49 am at 11:49 am |
  18. Anonymous

Bachman-Palin 2012: It's a no brainer!

December 1, 2011 11:49 am at 11:49 am |
  19. icecold

I bet all those people she named are at home saying what the f***, no you wont. Then Rick Santorum is probably thinking I hope she doesn't expect me to say her name as a potential VP candidate when I announce my list.

December 1, 2011 11:50 am at 11:50 am |
  20. notachance

Not a chance! Even the lunatic Donald has to draw the line somewhere. Does she really think the Donald would take 2nd spot to her?....much less a woman in general! LMFAO!

December 1, 2011 11:50 am at 11:50 am |
  21. Thomas

Michele Bachmann / Louie Gohmert 2012

Michele Bachmann reintroduced the "Light Bulb Freedom of Choice Act, Louie the LightBulb !

America , a brighter tomorrow !

December 1, 2011 11:51 am at 11:51 am |
  22. Rsprings

Not the Donald...can't control his ego and mouth.

December 1, 2011 11:52 am at 11:52 am |
  23. Democrat Class Warfare - Destroying the economy, destroying the country

She might want to wait until she starts polling in the double digits or wins something meaningful before naming potential VPs. I think she's just looking for some media attention as most of it has been going to Romney, Perry and Cain lately.

December 1, 2011 11:54 am at 11:54 am |
  24. Joi Gibson

Oh please!

December 1, 2011 11:57 am at 11:57 am |
  25. rich

I will also be announcing my running mate shortly...

December 1, 2011 11:58 am at 11:58 am |