Bachmann names V.P. picks
December 1st, 2011

Bachmann names V.P. picks

(CNN) - She may not be topping polls as a Republican presidential candidate, but Rep. Michele Bachmann has already put some thought into who she might select as her running mate or appoint to her cabinet.

Bachmann threw out a few names Wednesday when asked who her potential vice-president would be, including fellow candidate Rick Santorum, businessman and reality television host Donald Trump, and influential GOP senators Jim DeMint of South Carolina and Marco Rubio of Florida.

The congresswoman from Minnesota also floated Santorum as a potential attorney general, saying his legal acumen was top notch.

"I think that Rick Santorum is a wonderful man personally, but also, I think that he's very gifted when it comes to the area of legal issues," Bachmann said on the Fox News program "On the Record w/ Greta van Susteren."

"I think I could see him as an attorney general. I think he'd do a great job. I haven't talked to Rick about that, but I think he'd be wonderful, or another cabinet position."

Bachmann also said Santorum would be on her list of potential running mates, should she win the Republican presidential nomination. Other names on her list?

"We've got a lot of wonderful candidates who would fit that bill," Bachmann said. "Easily comes to mind I think would be Senator Jim DeMint of South Carolina. Marco Rubio of Florida certainly would be in that category. There's a lot of great people out there. And Donald Trump is someone that I think a lot of people would be intrigued with, too."

Bachmann has met with Trump four times during her campaign, last meeting with the mogul in mid-November at the Trump Tower in midtown Manhattan.

Also see:

Gingrich: Race will come down to 'Newt and Not-Newt'

Romney: Obama will 'cower' from debating his record

Romney and Gingrich take gloves off

Gingrich embraces 'lifelong politician' label

Filed under: 2012 • 2012 VP Pick • Donald Trump • Michele Bachmann • Rick Santorum
  1. rearden215

bwa ha ha ha ha ha ha.

Oh, my!

This reality show just keeps on giving1

December 1, 2011 11:58 am at 11:58 am |
  2. The Left Wing

Bachmann – Santorum If he two of them combined their support, the combined candidate wouldn't even register as a likely candidate in the polls of candidates for the Republican nomination. Boy, I bet they would be a general election threat.

December 1, 2011 11:59 am at 11:59 am |
  3. Oh Come On

Bachmann, Trump?.......BAHHHH HA HA HA

December 1, 2011 12:00 pm at 12:00 pm |
  4. Tanker

She is polling at 5%.

I'd think her picking you as a possible VP would be more like something you'd have to live down than live up to.

December 1, 2011 12:02 pm at 12:02 pm |
  5. Randy, San Francisco

The names on Bachmann's potential VP list is even more pathetic than the ones running for the top of the ticket.

December 1, 2011 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |
  6. tony

Karl Marx predicted this type of election and these sort of candidates 150 years ago.

December 1, 2011 12:06 pm at 12:06 pm |
  7. JR White Bear Lake MN.

Did she put that list together before of after she made her list for Santa Claus? (don't tell her about Santa)

December 1, 2011 12:07 pm at 12:07 pm |
  8. boyamidumb

Leave to Bachmann to actually come up with someone worse than her for VP. At least Donnie's hair makes hers look good. Maybe that's her logic.

December 1, 2011 12:07 pm at 12:07 pm |
  9. conoclast

Bachmann: the Don Quixote of this year's Kartoon Kandidates. Will Trump stoop to be her "Rocinante" against the socialist windmills? Film at eleven.

December 1, 2011 12:09 pm at 12:09 pm |
  10. jk from MN

Now, THAT's quite a collection of wingnuts! Irrelevant – as usual

December 1, 2011 12:09 pm at 12:09 pm |
  11. stranger in an increasingly strange land

Wow. She does not know we don't have an embassy in Iran, but she does know that Trump would make a suitable Vice-President. After all, the Donald is a shy, quiet kind of guy who would be more than happy to have her hogging the spotlight. Admittedly that is her only qualification for President. I could see Donald sitting patiently in the background or running around the country espousing whatever psycho blather comes to her on any given moment.
    Kind of a Kodak moment, when you think of it.

December 1, 2011 12:11 pm at 12:11 pm |
  12. Earl Lee Jones

I know that this will never happen, but it will be nice if its true, then Obama/Biden will win by a land slide in 2012. I fell sorry for the folks back in Minnisota.

December 1, 2011 12:12 pm at 12:12 pm |
  13. Chuk

Shouldn't there a requirement of being able to speak grammatically correct English language to run for president? Making statements like ""I think that Rick Santorum is a wonderful man personally, but also, I think... " should disqualify her from running! Bachmann and Sarah Palin.

December 1, 2011 12:15 pm at 12:15 pm |
  14. independent

Senate Republicans lay out payroll tax cut plan

It sounds like the Republicans want to permanently cut 200,000 federal government jobs, in order to create 200,000 temporary private sector jobs. Not to mention a permanent loss of services. I wonder what their agenda is, really?

That plan doesn't seem to make a lot of sense to me.

December 1, 2011 12:15 pm at 12:15 pm |
  15. DDanny1

Every single comedian, millions of Democrats and/or union members and family members of Dem politicians just rushed out to change their party status to Republican so they could vote in the primary for a potential Bachmann/Trump ticket.

December 1, 2011 12:16 pm at 12:16 pm |
  16. Judas

I do believe that Frau Bachmann’s rickety brain train has finally jumped its tracks. For somebody that’s polling close to the bottom among this cavalcade of carnys, and is no position to even dream about potential VP picks, she still manages to come up with a list of potential running mates that would be so unpalatable (if not horrifying) to the vast majority of voting Americans, it would most certainly ensure a landslide win for Obama. Trump, DeMint or Santorum? Bachmann’s not only out of touch, but her bar of acceptability couldn’t possibly get set any lower.

December 1, 2011 12:16 pm at 12:16 pm |
  17. Wait...Whatt??

Yes Michele, it is fun to play make-believe, isn't it?

December 1, 2011 12:16 pm at 12:16 pm |
  18. Phil in KC

I believe I posted on here a while back that it appeared 'The Donald' was running for VP. I hope she does get nominated and that she does pick Trump. It would be a sure win for Obama.

December 1, 2011 12:22 pm at 12:22 pm |
  19. Mark

I am a Republican loyalist ... I think this ticket would cause me to vote for 'None of the above' ..

December 1, 2011 12:23 pm at 12:23 pm |
  20. vatoloke

More and more it's like this "woman" is running for a position at Disney's Fantasyland.

December 1, 2011 12:23 pm at 12:23 pm |
  21. shoegazer

This whole GOP nomination process has to be considered the greatest contributor of material for comedians everywhere. From the delusional to the hypocritical,to the downright zany.It's been great fodder for the fertile mind.

December 1, 2011 12:26 pm at 12:26 pm |
  22. Noodle Nose Johnson

So she's writing skits for SNL now?

December 1, 2011 12:27 pm at 12:27 pm |
  23. some guy in New Hampshire

Anyone who thinks Donald Trump is qualified to be a heartbeat away shouldn't be entrusted with a checking account or motorized vehicles much less the key to the Oval Office.

December 1, 2011 12:27 pm at 12:27 pm |
  24. Phillip

Delusion is alive and well in Michele Bachmann.

December 1, 2011 12:27 pm at 12:27 pm |
  25. EmsMom

bassman

Our media do not miss a chance to highlight Bachmann's gaffes. But when Pres. Obama calls the British Embassy, the English Embassy they are silent.
    ______

I think there's a bit of a difference between Bachmann gaffes (a/k/a completely phony facts) and Obama substituting "English" for "British".

December 1, 2011 12:28 pm at 12:28 pm |