Bachmann names V.P. picks
December 1st, 2011

Bachmann names V.P. picks

(CNN) - She may not be topping polls as a Republican presidential candidate, but Rep. Michele Bachmann has already put some thought into who she might select as her running mate or appoint to her cabinet.

Bachmann threw out a few names Wednesday when asked who her potential vice-president would be, including fellow candidate Rick Santorum, businessman and reality television host Donald Trump, and influential GOP senators Jim DeMint of South Carolina and Marco Rubio of Florida.

The congresswoman from Minnesota also floated Santorum as a potential attorney general, saying his legal acumen was top notch.

"I think that Rick Santorum is a wonderful man personally, but also, I think that he's very gifted when it comes to the area of legal issues," Bachmann said on the Fox News program "On the Record w/ Greta van Susteren."

"I think I could see him as an attorney general. I think he'd do a great job. I haven't talked to Rick about that, but I think he'd be wonderful, or another cabinet position."

Bachmann also said Santorum would be on her list of potential running mates, should she win the Republican presidential nomination. Other names on her list?

"We've got a lot of wonderful candidates who would fit that bill," Bachmann said. "Easily comes to mind I think would be Senator Jim DeMint of South Carolina. Marco Rubio of Florida certainly would be in that category. There's a lot of great people out there. And Donald Trump is someone that I think a lot of people would be intrigued with, too."

Bachmann has met with Trump four times during her campaign, last meeting with the mogul in mid-November at the Trump Tower in midtown Manhattan.

Also see:

Gingrich: Race will come down to 'Newt and Not-Newt'

Romney: Obama will 'cower' from debating his record

Romney and Gingrich take gloves off

Gingrich embraces 'lifelong politician' label

Filed under: 2012 • 2012 VP Pick • Donald Trump • Michele Bachmann • Rick Santorum
  1. REG in AZ

"Bachmann – Trump" on the same ticket? Wouldn't do much good anywhere else but we could set up electric generating wind-mills around Washington and gain some there. She, much like Palin, does know how to get attention, anyway she can.

December 1, 2011 12:31 pm at 12:31 pm |
  2. kite005

As a democrat from Minnesota that sounds really good. That would make the election a mere formality.

December 1, 2011 12:32 pm at 12:32 pm |
  3. bayley0402

I was going to post something but all of you have said everything that needs to be said. 'Nuff said!!

December 1, 2011 12:33 pm at 12:33 pm |
  4. TM

Bachmann-Trump would obviously the first choice of the Birther wing of the Grand Old Teabag Party.

She should know that the first rule is NEVER pick a running mate that is crazier than you are (see: McCain/Palin 2008)

December 1, 2011 12:33 pm at 12:33 pm |
  5. Sniffit

"She is polling at 5%. "

That's ok...the word "irrelevant" doesn't exist in the MSM's lexicon.

December 1, 2011 12:33 pm at 12:33 pm |
  6. K3Citizen

If I am elected president, I will make Cindy Crawford my VP and Michael Jordan will be Secretary of Defense.

December 1, 2011 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm |
  7. Jake

hilarious! considering none of the other nominees would even consider her for ANY post! she won't even be re-elected in MN!

December 1, 2011 12:36 pm at 12:36 pm |
  8. MBSeattle

A Bachmann Trump ticket would be a big hair day for the Republican party

December 1, 2011 12:40 pm at 12:40 pm |
  9. isitjustme

Kenny – best post EVER!

December 1, 2011 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |
  10. gandoman

Bachmann & Trumpolholic [I call him that because he is drunk on his own ego]

To bolster their popularity, they should star together in some movie remakes...for example;

"Trumpenstein vs Bachzilla" – A mad realtor tries to buy Tokyo & a much larger than in reality politician goes into battle.
    "Donald & MiniMaud" – The love story between an old fart & a young fartup.
    "The Donfather-Part 4" – The sordid history of a politician getting into bed with a wealthy casino owner & rolling the dice to determine who is actually in charge.
    "Shampoo meets the Twilight Zone" – Trump plays a mad hair stylist who styles (if you can call it that) everyone's coiffure the same as his. Bachmann, his assistant, rebels & is fired only to reappear pregnant with his child whom she named Damien & who oddly resembles Chucky.
    The movie goes nowhere, much in line with the political careers of Bachmann & Trump!

December 1, 2011 12:49 pm at 12:49 pm |
  11. Sniffit

"Michael Jordan will be Secretary of Defense."

The best defense is a good offense?

December 1, 2011 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm |
  12. works for me

hahahahah... breath, breath.... hahahah. This woman is as stupid as Palin. She would also pick Rubio? Maybe after he reaches puberty!

December 1, 2011 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm |
  13. davetharave

Bachmann-Trump ha ha ha ha ha ha ha yeah that's going places

December 1, 2011 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm |
  14. American

GOD FORBID that would ever happen. This country would be destroyed.

December 1, 2011 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm |
  15. NY-Veteran

This is Wonderful!

Michelle Backman – Christine O'Donnell the I am not a witch from Delaware
    Michelle Backman – Donal Trump
    Michelle Backman – Sarah Palin
    Michelle Backman – Pat Robinson
    Michelle Backman – Pat Buchanan

This is success. With a ticket like that America in on the recovery mode!

December 1, 2011 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm |
  16. sf

A typical Bachmann/Republican move...delusional and stubborn. She's low in the polls and she's as looney as they come on the right side and she still thinks she's going to win the nomination so she's announcing her VP picks? lol what a joke...she must of heard GOD tell her...*rolls eyes*.

OBAMA/BIDEN 2012!!!!!

December 1, 2011 12:54 pm at 12:54 pm |
  17. Dee

Has the Lord been talking to Michelle again? Telling her to choose the head of a gambling empire to be her running mate. WWJD?

December 1, 2011 12:54 pm at 12:54 pm |
  18. Pat

She meant running mate as in jogging. Donald trump will need more glue on his wig now to run.

December 1, 2011 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  19. Pat

The GOP clowns at their best. I hope they never stop campaigning. Love it.

December 1, 2011 12:57 pm at 12:57 pm |
  20. Voice of Reason

Thank you Michelle. I was feeling a bit down today, and you brightened everything. I have work to do and pressing deadlines, and today could have been difficult, but instead I keep hearing the voice in the back of my mind, "Michelle Bachmann REALLY thinks she can win..." And I bust out laughing all over again.

Thank you.

December 1, 2011 12:59 pm at 12:59 pm |
  21. CCMars

Sometimes I can't tell if Bachmann is serious or just a real-life troll. Then again, Newt Gingrich is being considered a serious presidential candidate, so I suppose I shouldn't be surprised if it's the former...

December 1, 2011 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |
  22. NoTags

What are the requirements to be a member House Select Committee on Intelligence? Obviously, the bar is set pretty low since Bachmann is a member.

Her latest gaffe which was reported by James Norwood an NBC reporter who tweeted this Bachmann statement when she was speaking in Waverly, Iowa; If she was President “we wouldn’t have an American embassy in Iran.”

Guess what Michele, we haven't had an embassy in Iran since the 1980's

December 1, 2011 01:05 pm at 1:05 pm |
  23. Yugo

Sarah Palin & Kim Kardashian!!!

December 1, 2011 01:05 pm at 1:05 pm |
  24. Romney Un-Electible

Bachmann has as much chance of being the nominee as Palin, oh wait Palin isn't even running. Nuff said.

December 1, 2011 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  25. O RLY?

She floated Santorum allright. A whole commode full of Santorum...

December 1, 2011 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |