Bachmann names V.P. picks
December 1st, 2011

Bachmann names V.P. picks

(CNN) - She may not be topping polls as a Republican presidential candidate, but Rep. Michele Bachmann has already put some thought into who she might select as her running mate or appoint to her cabinet.

Bachmann threw out a few names Wednesday when asked who her potential vice-president would be, including fellow candidate Rick Santorum, businessman and reality television host Donald Trump, and influential GOP senators Jim DeMint of South Carolina and Marco Rubio of Florida.

The congresswoman from Minnesota also floated Santorum as a potential attorney general, saying his legal acumen was top notch.

"I think that Rick Santorum is a wonderful man personally, but also, I think that he's very gifted when it comes to the area of legal issues," Bachmann said on the Fox News program "On the Record w/ Greta van Susteren."

"I think I could see him as an attorney general. I think he'd do a great job. I haven't talked to Rick about that, but I think he'd be wonderful, or another cabinet position."

Bachmann also said Santorum would be on her list of potential running mates, should she win the Republican presidential nomination. Other names on her list?

"We've got a lot of wonderful candidates who would fit that bill," Bachmann said. "Easily comes to mind I think would be Senator Jim DeMint of South Carolina. Marco Rubio of Florida certainly would be in that category. There's a lot of great people out there. And Donald Trump is someone that I think a lot of people would be intrigued with, too."

Bachmann has met with Trump four times during her campaign, last meeting with the mogul in mid-November at the Trump Tower in midtown Manhattan.

Also see:

Gingrich: Race will come down to 'Newt and Not-Newt'

Romney: Obama will 'cower' from debating his record

Romney and Gingrich take gloves off

Gingrich embraces 'lifelong politician' label

Filed under: 2012 • 2012 VP Pick • Donald Trump • Michele Bachmann • Rick Santorum
  1. TexSteve

It may be a brokered convention, so she should stay in the race all the way to the convention. Anything's possible, she might win the nomination on the 4th ballot. If Romney wins the presidency, conservatives have to put up with him for 8 years.

December 1, 2011 02:29 pm at 2:29 pm |
  2. Tom Rossman

"Dumb and Dumber 2012"

December 1, 2011 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |
  3. mike halter

Thank you for the laugh I needed one.

December 1, 2011 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |
  4. Jay

My VP pick is my wife. Oh wait, it doesn't mean anything who I think my VP pick is because I will NEVER be POTUS?

Oh then that must be true of others too. LOL.

December 1, 2011 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  5. El Guapo

This will go over about as well as a fart in church

December 1, 2011 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |
  6. Bonnie

A bit too eary for 2012 April Fool joke......but I'm okay with that. Thanks for the laugh.

December 1, 2011 02:44 pm at 2:44 pm |
  7. Buster Bloodvessel

She's running for Village Idiot?

December 1, 2011 02:49 pm at 2:49 pm |
  8. FRANK - LAS VEGAS

Bachmann/Trump. What a Fruitcake!

December 1, 2011 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  9. Tom

What a moron. She realizes that she's running for the Presidency, not a reality show, right?

December 1, 2011 02:53 pm at 2:53 pm |
  10. NATHAN WIMBERLY

She's ready for the padded room.

December 1, 2011 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |
  11. Annie, Atlanta

I, for one, am sick of this clown act – all of it. The GOP campaign is our dirty little secret, and the rest of the world is watching. These people are thumbing their noses at our electoral process. They're all a disgrace. When are we going to say enough, already? How much more?

December 1, 2011 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  12. Scott

Santorum would make an excellent running mate for Bachman... (look up the definition of "Santorum")

December 1, 2011 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  13. Marie MD

@Alaska what's her name had got to be the real one. Nobody can sound so spacey all the time. BTW-the flair does NOT speak for me and I have no pains except on my sides when I laugh about all the stuoid out ththere from the eight clowns.
    He should check ru Bio and ask for his birth certificate because he lied about his parents coming to the US. He might have bsdn bone o a boat somewhere in thethe Atlantic!

December 1, 2011 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  14. Pismo

Ahhh yes.. Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dumbers

December 1, 2011 03:01 pm at 3:01 pm |
  15. Tex71

Bachmann's first choice was Josef Goebbels until somebody told her he was dead.

December 1, 2011 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  16. tstorm

Oh yes! Please! I'd love to have the clown-car Republicans nominate this whacko dual! Obama will win by a landslide!! Please!!!

December 1, 2011 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  17. Bookldy209

One word: No

December 1, 2011 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |
  18. Big_D

If I was GOP I would be insulted by this team. I guess Trump must be Dee, we know who Dumb is.

December 1, 2011 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |
  19. Tim

It's odd that she is naming a VP for another candidate who will become the Republican nominee. She stands zero chance.

December 1, 2011 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  20. Geoz

In related news, my dog has taken a fancy to a fire hydrant.

December 1, 2011 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  21. drdiane50

It IS funny, but still – the idea that if she COULD get the nomination, she thinks Donald Trump would be a perfectly reasonable, rational choice for VP- that's just scary. I mean really scary. That anyone can even be taken seriously as a potential Presidential candidate with such a completely insane idea as Trump as VP – what do we do with someone like this?

December 1, 2011 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  22. Loopman

I can't for the life of me understand why anyone, especially someone who's walking on eggshells with her chances of getting nominated, would want to take on Trump as a co-runner. This belligerent, loudmouth would sink a campaign that was built better than the Titanic. If he actually had a brain, he's have it out playing with it. What a boob!

Michelle Bachmann, however slim your chances of getting the GOP nomination, please don't compound things by shooting yourself in both feet and giving 'The Donald' a legitimate platform for spewing his idiot rhetoric. Leave him at home to admire his fake pompadour and maybe find himself another trophy wife. He's about due for a trade-in, isn't he?

December 1, 2011 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  23. SixDegrees

Was she wearing a clown suit when she made the announcement?

December 1, 2011 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  24. NoTags

Since Bachmann is the chairman of the Congressional tea party caucus, it should tell people the intelligence level of tea party members serving in Congress.

Remove the tea in 2012.

December 1, 2011 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  25. Matthew

"Donald Trump is someone that I think a lot of people would be intrigued with," says Bachman.

Great — really gets across the point that this is all about the spectacle, and nothing about the substance.

December 1, 2011 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |