Bachmann names V.P. picks
December 1st, 2011

Bachmann names V.P. picks

(CNN) - She may not be topping polls as a Republican presidential candidate, but Rep. Michele Bachmann has already put some thought into who she might select as her running mate or appoint to her cabinet.

Bachmann threw out a few names Wednesday when asked who her potential vice-president would be, including fellow candidate Rick Santorum, businessman and reality television host Donald Trump, and influential GOP senators Jim DeMint of South Carolina and Marco Rubio of Florida.

The congresswoman from Minnesota also floated Santorum as a potential attorney general, saying his legal acumen was top notch.

"I think that Rick Santorum is a wonderful man personally, but also, I think that he's very gifted when it comes to the area of legal issues," Bachmann said on the Fox News program "On the Record w/ Greta van Susteren."

"I think I could see him as an attorney general. I think he'd do a great job. I haven't talked to Rick about that, but I think he'd be wonderful, or another cabinet position."

Bachmann also said Santorum would be on her list of potential running mates, should she win the Republican presidential nomination. Other names on her list?

"We've got a lot of wonderful candidates who would fit that bill," Bachmann said. "Easily comes to mind I think would be Senator Jim DeMint of South Carolina. Marco Rubio of Florida certainly would be in that category. There's a lot of great people out there. And Donald Trump is someone that I think a lot of people would be intrigued with, too."

Bachmann has met with Trump four times during her campaign, last meeting with the mogul in mid-November at the Trump Tower in midtown Manhattan.

Also see:

Gingrich: Race will come down to 'Newt and Not-Newt'

Romney: Obama will 'cower' from debating his record

Romney and Gingrich take gloves off

Gingrich embraces 'lifelong politician' label

Filed under: 2012 • 2012 VP Pick • Donald Trump • Michele Bachmann • Rick Santorum
  1. Margaret

I wonder if she will have a religious litmus test for her cabinet?

December 1, 2011 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |
  2. Cleareye

This is an embarrassing time for many of these candidates. Bachmann is dead in the water, Trump humiliated himself earlier, and Santorum in invisible. But a preposterous scenario like this can only be blamed on Bachmann as a desperate plea from a sinking ship. She should retire soon and retain a little dignity.

December 1, 2011 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |
  3. Brandy

How did she ever get elected to Congress in the first place? Intelligence is not one requirement, "Oh" thats how she got elected. What a sad day for the American people if she would get nominated.

December 1, 2011 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  4. Gloria

Oh my, what is going to come out of her mouth next?? I hope it's: "I'm dropping out of the race!"

December 1, 2011 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  5. Fuzzbee

Bachmann & Trump might be the worst ticket ever for America, but it's endless, pure comedy gold! Just think of the material!

December 1, 2011 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  6. Ken

Why does she bother??? She is SO last weeks news – almost as worn out as Palin. And thank God, we are not hearing anything irrelavent from her either!

December 1, 2011 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  7. brian in denver

Bachmann / Trump = Curly / Larry. This display of Republican foolishness gets more hilarious by the day!

December 1, 2011 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |
  8. Ted

Michelle & Donald, dumb and dumber?

December 1, 2011 05:06 pm at 5:06 pm |
  9. smithywesson

How about Trump/Bachman? I don't think Michelle is going anywhere on her own and I like her. No one is hearing her.

December 1, 2011 05:20 pm at 5:20 pm |
  10. steven harnack

They should form a band instead. They could call it the Bachmann Trumper Underdrive.

December 1, 2011 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  11. rob

It might as well be Bachmann- Bigfoot cause that has about as much chance of happening

December 1, 2011 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  12. Bart

It's not very nice of a media pipe that considers itself 1/2 notch above Fox to tease its readers like this. To see BOTH Bachmann and Trump humiliated TOGETHER? That's just TOO much to ask Santa for Christmas. A rhetorical note: is there ANY way Trump could be more humiliated than he already IS? That hair fantasy alone would have put him in PT Barnum's museum 100 years ago.

December 1, 2011 05:38 pm at 5:38 pm |
  13. John Steel

How about the US Ambassador in Iran? LMAO!!! I can't wait until we get past the first few primaries and caucuses and the loonies start dropping.

December 1, 2011 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  14. Jim

Oh please, please, please, let it be them.

December 1, 2011 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  15. MaryM

Just more material for the late night comedy shows.

December 1, 2011 05:48 pm at 5:48 pm |
  16. Raymond

I do not understand why some of the GOP candidates are still in the race......especially since their support has faded away or is not forthcoming........I suppose that Iowa will sort this mess out finally. Cain and Perry should be the first to go because of all of their baggage – and should have been gone awhile ago.

December 1, 2011 05:52 pm at 5:52 pm |
  17. John

Great material for a TV reality show. Donald knows how to make that work financially, quite well. Liklihood of a presidential win? I believe the public will tell you, 'YOU'RE FIRED"!

December 1, 2011 05:56 pm at 5:56 pm |
  18. MaryM

None of the GOP (guardians of plutocracy) candidates have a chance at becoming the President of the United States.
    Kermit and Ms Piggy have a better chance. lol

December 1, 2011 05:56 pm at 5:56 pm |
  19. albert

This is hilarious!!! It's like a person with no feet buying shoes. Is she really that delusional?

December 1, 2011 06:22 pm at 6:22 pm |
  20. steveo

Obama strategy for 2012: Avoid discussing the Obama presidency at all cost.

December 1, 2011 06:22 pm at 6:22 pm |
  21. SurRy

What a joke.

December 1, 2011 06:28 pm at 6:28 pm |
  22. Canadian Jim

She's so dumb it's kind of cute. I hope she hangs arouns a while longer because I get a kick out of her nonsense.

December 1, 2011 06:32 pm at 6:32 pm |
  23. old bear

Michelle Bachmann, Donald Trump, Hermann Cain as President would be hilarious if in 2008 we hadn't elected a guy who was 1/10 as qualified. But we are paying for it now. Big time. After this country elected a part time senator who had accomplished not one thing of note in his entire life as president, I can believe we could make anybody president. Even Larry the Cable Guy.

December 1, 2011 06:39 pm at 6:39 pm |
  24. Mike

She should go with Trump, then she can be the first candidate in history to score a negative number of votes.

December 1, 2011 07:03 pm at 7:03 pm |
  25. Mindie from Indie

this woman is dilusional. The GOP – the Gift that just keeps on giving to the Democrats.

December 1, 2011 07:11 pm at 7:11 pm |