Bachmann names V.P. picks
December 1st, 2011

Bachmann names V.P. picks

(CNN) - She may not be topping polls as a Republican presidential candidate, but Rep. Michele Bachmann has already put some thought into who she might select as her running mate or appoint to her cabinet.

Bachmann threw out a few names Wednesday when asked who her potential vice-president would be, including fellow candidate Rick Santorum, businessman and reality television host Donald Trump, and influential GOP senators Jim DeMint of South Carolina and Marco Rubio of Florida.

The congresswoman from Minnesota also floated Santorum as a potential attorney general, saying his legal acumen was top notch.

"I think that Rick Santorum is a wonderful man personally, but also, I think that he's very gifted when it comes to the area of legal issues," Bachmann said on the Fox News program "On the Record w/ Greta van Susteren."

"I think I could see him as an attorney general. I think he'd do a great job. I haven't talked to Rick about that, but I think he'd be wonderful, or another cabinet position."

Bachmann also said Santorum would be on her list of potential running mates, should she win the Republican presidential nomination. Other names on her list?

"We've got a lot of wonderful candidates who would fit that bill," Bachmann said. "Easily comes to mind I think would be Senator Jim DeMint of South Carolina. Marco Rubio of Florida certainly would be in that category. There's a lot of great people out there. And Donald Trump is someone that I think a lot of people would be intrigued with, too."

Bachmann has met with Trump four times during her campaign, last meeting with the mogul in mid-November at the Trump Tower in midtown Manhattan.

Also see:

Gingrich: Race will come down to 'Newt and Not-Newt'

Romney: Obama will 'cower' from debating his record

Romney and Gingrich take gloves off

Gingrich embraces 'lifelong politician' label

Filed under: 2012 • 2012 VP Pick • Donald Trump • Michele Bachmann • Rick Santorum
  1. v_mag

Well, at least she didn't name someone who is currently in jail for murder or locked in a padded cell in an asylum.

December 1, 2011 09:55 am at 9:55 am |
  2. vosky

I almost spit out my tea, reading this!!! I don't know how somebody like this became a congress woman in the first place. Were all this politicians this bad before or after they were elected? somebody should please educate me on this!!

December 1, 2011 09:55 am at 9:55 am |
  3. parnell in canada

Bachmann and Trump ... that would replace Berlusconi as the laughing stock of the world. Pretty bloody sad, really.

December 1, 2011 09:55 am at 9:55 am |
  4. ja

and it will be a cold day in hell

December 1, 2011 09:56 am at 9:56 am |
  5. trex

......Bachmann/ Trump ticket would be a DREAM TICKET FOR OBAMA............

December 1, 2011 09:57 am at 9:57 am |
  6. Larry L

What wouild ever make this woman believe she will need to worry about a Vice President? She's delusional.

Regardless, her imaginary selection of Donald Trump shows again how poorly prepared she is to serve as POTUS. Are social conservatives so posessed with their radical ideology they would choose a candidate just because the person is rigidly opposed to abortion, gay lifestyles, environmental protection, or immigrants? Do they actually want a Christian Theocracy?

December 1, 2011 09:57 am at 9:57 am |
  7. MnWise

All I can say or do right now is laugh.

December 1, 2011 09:57 am at 9:57 am |
  8. Canuck

"We've got a lot of wonderful candidates"

Michele and I clearly do not see things the same....

December 1, 2011 09:58 am at 9:58 am |
  9. Maxpayne

Clearly, she has no intention of getting out with any dignity. It's over, Shelly, and Minnesota doesn't want you back.

December 1, 2011 09:58 am at 9:58 am |
  10. Dann DFW

Bachmann-Trump in 2012. The preferred ticket for those who truly want to destroy the United States.

December 1, 2011 09:59 am at 9:59 am |
  11. Dieter Zerressen

Bachmann-Trump 2012? Wow, that would corner the gas bag constituency that's for sure.

December 1, 2011 09:59 am at 9:59 am |
  12. Pat in IL

As soon as I quit laughing so hard I pee my pants, I'll probably be crying, to think that this woman is actually serious. Not to worry, though, her campaign won't last and she won't have to pick a VP.

December 1, 2011 10:00 am at 10:00 am |
  13. wakiash

How about Clarabell the clown and Howdy Doody? One of them has more sense than Bachmann/Trump together!

December 1, 2011 10:02 am at 10:02 am |
  14. Linhster

Folks, this is how a delusional/out of touch with reality person behaves. This can be cure after a couple praying sessions at the lunny clinic that runs by her "flaming" hudsband.

December 1, 2011 10:02 am at 10:02 am |
  15. moakley

cognitive dissonance variants.

December 1, 2011 10:03 am at 10:03 am |
  16. saranot

Is she talking about OZ?

December 1, 2011 10:03 am at 10:03 am |
  17. Ben

Not happening. Bachmann torpedoed her chances when she said the HPV vaccine causes mental retardation.

December 1, 2011 10:03 am at 10:03 am |
  18. adam caskie

The Bachman/Trump ticket is a surefire winner, assuming the election takes place in the appropriate alternative universe.

December 1, 2011 10:03 am at 10:03 am |
  19. Wildone

If she chooses Trump I'm gonna want to see his birth certificate (and it better not be some damn certificate of live birth. I want to see the "real deal")!

December 1, 2011 10:06 am at 10:06 am |
  20. uniblob

Bachmann – Trump...yes, please.

December 1, 2011 10:09 am at 10:09 am |
  21. Joe from CT, not Lieberman

Guys, the next time you run an article like this, please make sure it is on April 1! With her poll numbers below the margin of error, she should be thinking about how to apologize to the folks from her district for spending the time since her reelection running for President instead of representing them.

December 1, 2011 10:09 am at 10:09 am |
  22. Kevin in Atlatna

She might as well make a list of cartoon characters, as that's as much value it'll represent...

December 1, 2011 10:09 am at 10:09 am |
  23. mdn

In order for her to have a running mate, she'll have to run as a third party candidate. I don't think it says much for her intelligence given that she is picking a running mate and polls at around 3%.

December 1, 2011 10:10 am at 10:10 am |
  24. Katy

Bachmann will not be the nominee so who cares what idiot she chooses? The fact that she is even in the running is a black eye for the GOP.

December 1, 2011 10:11 am at 10:11 am |
  25. TJeff1776

At the bottom of the heap and names VP. LOL. This doth beat all. Why did she not name Newt ???

December 1, 2011 10:11 am at 10:11 am |