(CNN) – Herman Cain will announce his decision by Monday on whether he’ll keep his spot in the GOP presidential race, acknowledging that an end to his campaign is on the table.
“That’s obviously one option,” Cain said Thursday night on Fox News. “The commitment I have made is before Monday…we’ll make a decision.”
The Georgia businessman has been “re-assessing” his candidacy since the latest of several accusations of inappropriate sexual behavior emerged on Monday.
Once a front-runner in the Republican presidential field, Cain has seen his numbers drop over the last month as reports broke of four different women accusing Cain of sexual misconduct, the most shattering of which occurred on Monday when one woman came forward alleging the two had a 13-year extramarital affair.
While his team touted a surge in fundraising in early November—days after reports first emerged of two women filing sexual harassment charges against Cain in the late 90s—Cain admitted Wednesday he’s already lost some supporters this week as a result of the latest allegation.
But the former Godfather’s Pizza executive has flatly denied all of the claims, focusing his ire instead on the news media for pursuing the reports.
Asked in the Fox News interview if any hotel records or videos could help clear up the accusations, Cain said the media should just leave it alone.
“Let’s not play detective,” Cain said. “I’m going to prove—I’m going to re-establish my character. We’re working on that. My attorney is working on that. We’re going to work on that.”
Cain is still adamant that the allegations stem from a smear campaign against him, and said he’s determined to prove that he’s innocent.
“I assure you we’re getting to the bottom of it. I already started that process, and when we come back, it’s not going to be based upon rumor or he-said-she-said, it’s going to be based upon factual information that we can present in order to show I have not done many of the things I have been accused of,” he said.