Cain's wife not aware of friendship with Ginger White
December 1st, 2011

Cain's wife not aware of friendship with Ginger White

(CNN) – Businessman Herman Cain said Thursday his wife was not aware of his friendship with Ginger White until she publicly claimed a 13-year affair with the GOP presidential candidate Monday.

During a meeting with the editorial board of the New Hampshire Union Leader Cain revealed that his wife, Gloria, had no knowledge that he’d provided financial assistance to White, or that the two were friends at all.

“That was the revelation and the surprise that my wife found about when (White) went public with this,” he admitted. “My wife now knows. My wife and I have talked about it. And I have explained it to her.”

Sharing that his wife understands he is “a soft-hearted, giving person, like a lot of men,” Cain continued, "She did not know that we were friends until she (White) came out with this story." But he said his wife is “comfortable with the explanation that I told her regarding having to help (White)."

Insisting he and White were only friends, Cain stated he gave her money because she told him "I was the only person who was a friend at the time – and I underscore 'friend' – that was in a position to help her."

When White emerged with claims of Cain's infidelity on Monday she also provided records of text messages and phone calls to a local television station in Cain's hometown of Atlanta.

But the former conservative radio talk show host told the New Hampshire Union Leader that 47 of those were messages from White asking for his help and the rest were his responses to her.

"She was out of work and had trouble paying her bills and I had known her as a friend," Cain said.

Although he said he questioned what she was doing to get a job, Cain insisted, "I'm a soft-hearted person when it comes to that stuff. I have helped members of my church. I have helped members of my family."

Adamant that none of the messages received from White were threats or “any indication that there might be some blackmail or anything like that” Cain said, “Look. I thought she was a friend. End of story.”

Cain will meet his wife for the first time face-to-face Friday, and admitted in the newspaper’s editorial meeting he would end his campaign for the 2012 GOP nomination for president if it is what his wife wants.

“But my wife wouldn’t ask me to get out,” he said. “I would make a decision based upon how all of this stuff is affecting her. Because I will put her first, but she’s not the type to say 'you oughta get out.'”

His national poll numbers have fallen following allegations of sexual harassment. Two days ago Cain said he would "reassess" his campaign.

Citing family and finances Thursday, specifically, backers who may not want to contribute because “they see this cloud not going away,” the former CEO of Godfather’s Pizza said “running for president has become a very dirty game.”

“Part of the assessment is what the solution is moving forward,” he continued.

But Cain’s communications director in Iowa said Thursday, "The campaign is full steam ahead. Herman Cain is in it to win it."

Lisa Lockwood affirmed, "He always has been and that has not changed."

Cain's campaign is scheduled to release ads in Iowa Friday and there are signs the campaign is moving forward with efforts in another early voting state.

Cain's national political director Bo Harmon will work in New Hampshire through next week and plans to spend a majority of his time in the first primary state before voters head to the polls Jan. 10, he told CNN.

Harmon said he was focused on helping run grassroots and voter outreach efforts for Cain in the state.

- CNN's Rachel Streitfeld contributed to this report.

Also see:

Cain admits losing 'warm-weather' supporters amid scandal

Cain campaign goes up with new ad in Iowa

Christie: Cain fumbled response to scandals

Cain struggles with Republican women in polls

Filed under: 2012 • Herman Cain
  1. DC

This story says: "Cain will meet his wife for the first time face-to-face Friday..."

What is this supposed to say? Could it perhaps be: "On Friday, Cain will meet his wife face-to-face for the first time since the latest allegations..."?

A copy editor would come in handy.

December 1, 2011 05:45 pm at 5:45 pm |
  2. buckheadbetty

I wish I could believe Herman, but I don't. My heart goes out to his wife. I know what it's like when a spouse cheats, and nothing can beat that pain. I hate that she is going through this in public.

December 1, 2011 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |
  3. Andy

Of course she wasnt.. Generally, booty calls are done discreetly.

ROFL @ at this clown thinking he can be president.

December 1, 2011 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |
  4. terry

Wait! Hold everything! his wife didn't know the woman he was paying for...??? Really? I'm shocked! What a story!

December 1, 2011 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  5. Dave

Cain really isn't qualified to be President; he's not even a good liar.

December 1, 2011 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  6. SecretFriend?

How do you hide a "friend" from your spouse for 13 years. More importantly, WHY? And so this means he was also secretly FUNDING this friend out of a family's finances without disclosure? Id have liked him better if he merely admitted to an affair.

December 1, 2011 05:48 pm at 5:48 pm |
  7. Larry L

Another "good Christian Republican". The the more your talk about your religion the more likely you are to get caught doing something immoral.

December 1, 2011 05:49 pm at 5:49 pm |
  8. thespiritguy

This story reminds me of a joke. A man and wife, who've been married for over thirty years, are sitting at the breakfast table one morning when the wife turns to the husband and asks: "Honey, if I die first, will you remarry?" Shocked by the question, the husband simply stares at his wife for a moment and then replies, "What a horrible thing to talk about!" But, the wife persists, "Would you remarry?" The husband puts down his fork, sighs and finally replies, "Well, I guess so." Obviously agitated, the wife then asks, "Would you sell the house?" After thinking a moment, the husband replies, "Well, no, I don't see any reason why I'd sell the house." The wife then asks, "Would you let her sleep in our bedroom??" The husband shrugs his shoulders and replies, "Well, to be honest, yes, I think I probably would/" Tossing her napkin on the table the wife stands and screams, "Would you let her use my golf clubs???" Startled by her response, the husband finally stammers, "Of course not, she's left handed."

December 1, 2011 05:50 pm at 5:50 pm |
  9. Dave

"A copy editor would come in handy."

So would a marriage counselor.

December 1, 2011 05:51 pm at 5:51 pm |
  10. cain fan

Cain is gittinrailroaded by the MEDIA – them thar liberals MADE him do all hat stuff! like the devil done made billie jo has relations with her pa! THU DEVUL!!!!

December 1, 2011 05:51 pm at 5:51 pm |
  11. Dazed Confused

Are you serious? The man is actually staying in the race?? Would SOMEONE please tell Mr. Cain... what this country needs is NOT another individual incapable of acceptance of responsibility for their own actions, one of dishonest character, lacking moral fiber. We need a solid leader with engrained morals, the ability to speak the truth no matter the cost, and the backbone thick enough to carry the weight accepting one's responsibilities requires. ENOUGH of politics as usual. THIS American DEMANDS a change.

December 1, 2011 05:51 pm at 5:51 pm |
  12. DC

Wow...when the first allegation came, I thought, "Okay...this is kind of random, but I'll give this guy the benefit of the doubt." Then the second accuser came out, and now it turns out he had a secret 13-year 'friendship' with some other lady that even his wife didn't know about! Oh Herman...you've got bigger problems now than just dead political ambition. Can you say divorce court?

December 1, 2011 05:51 pm at 5:51 pm |
  13. JDinTexas

oh he is probably like Gingrich......you know his "passion and love for this country" led him to getting some on the side.

December 1, 2011 05:51 pm at 5:51 pm |
  14. Fiery Buddha

"Cain will meet his wife for the first time face-to-face Friday,..." Really?

December 1, 2011 05:52 pm at 5:52 pm |
  15. Wildone

People who are married but become involved in "secret relationships" (you know what I mean) with others always say that it's because something was missing in their marriage or lives. True....., a sense of morality. Herman Cain is so full of himself and the thirst for power and control that somewhere he lost his dignity and moral compass. I really feel sorry for him and his family for what he has become.

December 1, 2011 05:52 pm at 5:52 pm |
  16. chablisandbrie

Now would be a good time to bring up the words of Ann Coulter:

"The left is trying to destroy Cain with a miasma of hazy accusations leveled by three troubled women. Considered individually, the accusations are utterly unbelievable. They are even less credible taken together. This is how liberals destroy a man, out of nothing."

How's that foot taste, Ann?

December 1, 2011 05:53 pm at 5:53 pm |
  17. buke56

Its time to step down Herman I hear that FOX needs a replacement for Newt. Might as well take it because hes definitely replaced you as front runner. just sayin

December 1, 2011 05:53 pm at 5:53 pm |
  18. ZekeTX

So wait...Cain was giving money to a struggling, unemployed person because he had a soft heart and felt compassion for her? Sounds like a liberal to me!

December 1, 2011 05:54 pm at 5:54 pm |
  19. T'sah from Virginia

►Cain's wife not aware of friendship with Ginger White◄
    Of course she’s not – Otherwise she’ll fight for her husband with all of her might
    And Herman is a FOOL and should have been home since “YESTERDAY”
    But instead ►Cain will meet his wife for the first time face-to-face [on] Friday◄

Herman, in my opinion, has got a lot of NERVE
    This is the reason why Gloria should “Kick him to the Curb!!”
    The audacity of him to “embarrass” his family for a BUCK
    Hurry and go home – Herman – and really, Good Luck!

Obama 2012

December 1, 2011 05:54 pm at 5:54 pm |
  20. greg

He better be thinking of 9 excuses,another 9 alibis,and 999 lies to tell his wife before friday.He may be able to use that snake oil salesman tongue on his tricks and those republicans that fell for that bull,but on his wife,a sistergirl too,I bet he's sweating more than Rick Perry at the start of another debate,lmao!!! 9-9-9 Loser!!!

December 1, 2011 05:54 pm at 5:54 pm |
  21. Mark

This guy is starting to sound like a sociopath, unaware or in denial of how others see him and his statements.

December 1, 2011 05:54 pm at 5:54 pm |
  22. Leslie

"I DID NOT have sex with that woman" – I see no difference in the two.

December 1, 2011 05:55 pm at 5:55 pm |
  23. Joe The Politician

Typical Politician.. and we are ... surprised by this?

December 1, 2011 05:55 pm at 5:55 pm |
  24. Randy, San Francisco

Just wondering when the conservative religious family values supporters of Cain will withdraw their support...can't they see Cain's campaign ship has already sunk?

December 1, 2011 05:57 pm at 5:57 pm |
  25. Leslie

maybe she has a blue dress too. I don't see the difference between him and Clinton where this is concerned.

December 1, 2011 05:57 pm at 5:57 pm |